Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Reapa's Chronological List of New and Released Possibly cRPGs

Reapa

Doom Preacher
it also has hidden classes and multiclassing :bounce:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
with cheat engine speed hack x5 trash fights and resting become very bearable.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Aarklash maybe should be on there, or was that released too long ago? Also I need someone to do a list on some old games I found.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Aarklash maybe should be on there, or was that released too long ago? Also I need someone to do a list on some old games I found.
too old and looks like a bad case of 3d real time crap with focus on graphics instead of mechanics. feel free to argue.
there's no reason why you can't just make your own list thread. i pretty much don't have the patience to go through a million old games, most of which are dos box dependent and try them out. it's much easier to try to keep track of the new ones that don't suck.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Personally I wouldn't bother with it. It's not "dosbox" old (only 2013) but it looks kinda like D:OS with less story, more puzzles, and RTwP combat that looks much simpler than PoE. I'm not seeing any numbers, just HP+mana bars and tons of colorful shitty magic effects. This youtube reviewer says it's really pretty difficult [citation needed] (maybe he means tedious) but there's no character creation, basic skills/stats, weak itemization, no new abilities as you acquire gear and level up. I'm gonna make an educated guess and say it's probably a shovelware RPG, or more accurately RTS-lite with adventure game elements. :lol:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
too old and looks like a bad case of 3d real time crap with focus on graphics instead of mechanics. feel free to argue.
there's no reason why you can't just make your own list thread. i pretty much don't have the patience to go through a million old games, most of which are dos box dependent and try them out. it's much easier to try to keep track of the new ones that don't suck.
Aarklash was really good. It is only semi 3d, I don't think you can rotate the camera. Mechanics are good, some tough battles, there are only a few skill lines for each class but you can change between builds for each encounter and you also end up with several characters and you can swap them in between fights too. It's no way near as big or good as DoS but it is a fun short game. The combat is good and has decent depth, but it is the kind of game you play in a few days and are done. That said, it is WAY better than POE.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Personally I wouldn't bother with it. It's not "dosbox" old (only 2013) but it looks kinda like D:OS with less story, more puzzles, and RTwP combat that looks much simpler than PoE. I'm not seeing any numbers, just HP+mana bars and tons of colorful shitty magic effects. This youtube reviewer says it's really pretty difficult [citation needed] (maybe he means tedious) but there's no character creation, basic skills/stats, weak itemization, no new abilities as you acquire gear and level up. I'm gonna make an educated guess and say it's probably a shovelware RPG, or more accurately RTS-lite with adventure game elements. :lol:
yeah, when i say too old, i mean too old for the list. which starts at 2014 for whatever reason. now if i were to change it to include 2013 games i'd need a better reason than this little rtwp meh game.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Aarklash is solid. I've seen some people confuse it with Confrontation, though.

Confrontation-2012-04-17-18-04-48-45.jpg

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Hidden Gem!!!

updated with Daily Chthonicle!
it's a party based, text based, noir detective agency / press manager-like RPG in an occult setting and with roguelike elements.
It's got skills, conditions, magic, alchemy, character development, items, weapons, artefacts... the whole fucking package and none of that diablo style random stats bullshit itemization everyone keeps pucking out lately.
if you're having trouble picturing what it's about, just check out a video.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Thanks, I will eventually try the game. By the way the developper made a couple of games before this one, whose I've played Towers of twilight which is basically a party-based roguelikes with some good ideas. He even has an account on the codex (charon_sin_sys) although he obviously doesn't use it a lot.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
sadly towers of twilight has a nightmarish unintuitive interface and no full screen. i don't have the patience for it. there are also no videos anywhere of anyone playing it so i guess i'm not alone with my opinion.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, that's totally fair and it's nice that he reached acceptable technical standards since then.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
talking with a guy from his crew, my captain got the idea of trying to completely give up drinking. with a 4:1 chance of succeeding he became a drunkard instead.

updated with Nantucket!

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
updated with Fallen: A2P Protocol, a turn based, party based tactical RPG.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Every once in a while, from the wastes of uninspired crap pouring into steam, a game stands out and above the mediocre garbage, redeeming the sins of the platform.
Every once in a while I'm lucky enough to find such a game and present it to the codex, so it doesn't fly under everyone's radar with the rest of the waste.

It's just a roguelite, but one that understands meaningful abstraction with attention to detail. A roguelite with relaxing but not boring gameplay. A roguelite with elegance.

It has classes, attributes, skills, experience levels and "equipment". There's character progression in game and between games (roguelite duh!).

And here's the kick: Attributes set the number of dice you can roll in encounters. A strength=5 means you get 5 strength dice to roll on any strength based trap or monster encounter. Same goes for magic and agility, making the classes really differ in strengths and weaknesses. On top of that, each class has 2 specific skills for manipulating health and dice.

Encounters are random but handmade with a boss at the end of a dungeon. The game has 5 different dungeons to offer which are supposed to differ in difficulty. Of course, due to the nature of the roguelite, what is difficult in the beginning may well be a cakewalk in the end. But due to the nature of dice you will probably still get fucked no mater how high your level is. And if you're looking for a challenge, there's nothing stopping you from going directly for the most difficult dungeons with lowbies.

Equipment is simple but impactful. It boosts attributes so you get more dice and sometimes also increases health. Skills are all about dice manipulation. The "in session level" gives you more equipment and skill slots. The "meta level" gives you more starting skills that don't occupy slots.

TLDR : watch a video or learn to read.

Updated with One Deck Dungeon

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
updated with Star Traders: Frontiers!
It's fucking impressive. Especially the RPG part. You can actually chose who to talk to and do missions for. You can actually miss content by not talking with some of the people you meet of your own volition. If i'm not mistaking the game may very well react to the choices you make in major ways. Like the death of important NPCs on top of the factions wars outcomes. I've only just started playing and already need to make choices about who to help. Not only are there several different factions, but there's several people within those factions you can work for. You can even find people to work for by exploring some swamp on some planet in search for some crappy treasure. I don't know how the fuck they did this, but it's fucking impressive!
gonna play it some more and update this post once i get a deeper insight into the game world, but for now, i feel like i've struck gold. i don't think i've felt this hyped since i first played arcanum.

EDIT: turns out it only has one story line no mater what faction affiliation and class you chose, so it's not as good as anticipated.
EDIT 2: I failed to save the daughter of some prince from being sentenced to death and then when i took her on my ship to hide her from the assassins, i failed to keep her from getting killed. It's a good game. (playing ironman, of course)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom