Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JarlFrank I guess you might have explained this and I missed it but in any case:
Is combat "instanced" or does it happen directly on the gameworld? And since I imagine the latter is the truth, does the whole world enter "turn based mode" a la Fallout or JA2 or do you have a hybrid system a la D:OS ?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
JarlFrank I guess you might have explained this and I missed it but in any case:
Is combat "instanced" or does it happen directly on the gameworld? And since I imagine the latter is the truth, does the whole world enter "turn based mode" a la Fallout or JA2 or do you have a hybrid system a la D:OS ?

No instances, fights happen right where they do on the map you're in. But since some of our maps are pretty HUGE and having every single hobo in the entire city take a turn (hello Fallout 2!) would just be pointless, the "battle arena" will be limited to the area where the fight started. Which is an area of about 3x3 full screens, so it's plenty large from the get-go.

The size of that "battle arena" can vary based on several factors, though. We're trying to simulate reinforcements and calls for help by extending this area if, for example, there are guard posts nearby who call other guards for help, which might add one more 1x1 screen near the guard tower.

Once we've polished everything up we might also add an additional system for latecomers. Enemy (or ally) groups close to the edges of the battle area spawning in after X amount of turns, for example, as they realize there's a fight and join in. Units in the active battle area, as big as it may be depending on various factors, will all be actively joining the fight right away. This avoids things like cleaning out a well-guarded fortress room by room. Nope: when guards are in front of the room, they'll notify their pals inside and the room will be added to the active battle area, pulling those inside directly into the combat.

Encounters on the world map will play out on an appropriate wilderness map based on the tile you've encountered the enemy group on (think Fallout and Arcanum random encounters, except with more detailed maps).

Sounds great! Can you manage to support this system across the whole game? Sounds like a lot of extra work per each encounter.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Sounds great! Can you manage to support this system across the whole game? Sounds like a lot of extra work per each encounter.

Yes, we'll suuport this system across the whole game because it's a system. It checks for the presence of enemy groups within a certain radius and determines if they are eligible for being called into battle, if yes, the radius increases. Etc.

There no manual work for us to be done per encounter this way, except for maybe setting a flag or two (we could have, say, a group of guardsmen sitting around a campfire to play cards with the flag "won't be called into reinforcement" because they're too distracted to notice). We just place groups of enemies on the map, everything else is up to the systemic rules we have implemented into the game.

All we have to do as level designers is so place encounter groups in the places we want them to be.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
I don't recall if this was addressed, will ammunition be required for ranged weapons? Even non-magical arrows and bolts and such.
Well, according to the inventory "screen", that should be the case yes.
inv.jpg

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't recall if this was addressed, will ammunition be required for ranged weapons? Even non-magical arrows and bolts and such.
Do you prefer to have your inventory full with large amounts of non-magical ammo?

For the record I'm OK with a Dragon Age style system, where ranged weapons have unlimited normal ammo but all special ammo works in the old school manner with arrow/bolts stacks.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Do you prefer to have your inventory full with large amounts of non-magical ammo?
Yes.
Why? I mean, I don't have strong feelings about it, i.e. I don't absolutely hate the old way but generally I'd file all this under "pointless inventory management that adds nothing of value to the game", that's why I'd be OK with removing the need for standard ammo.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Why should "rangers" get free unlimited ammo, if casters don't? :D

In RoA you also had to balance weight and the very limited number slots when considering what to take with you.

Reinhardt

Arcane
If game don't have some retarded loot system where you get hundreds of meaningless items "+1% this, -2 that" there is nothing wrong with bringing ammo.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Unrealistically deep quivers and unlimited ammo are Decline.

Want to carry 20 in a quiver x20? Have fun trying to loot items.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Well, according to the inventory "screen", that should be the case yes.
inv.jpg

Yes.

Hope there is a heretical option to say fuck you to the hoe goddess and her cuck pantheon ingame.

Yes. The game never forces you into a specific path. You can tell every faction to fuck off and support the opposing faction instead.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
bags that could hold 1000 plate armours are realistic..... It is a fucking game,use magic make it quiver of holdings and be done with it.

I think it's better to make the player work for that sort of advantage/convenience.

Still, this is potentially a minor issue (depends on how powerful archery is) and not going to be a deal breaker. I just want more oldskool TB goodness.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
bags that could hold 1000 plate armours are realistic..... It is a fucking game,use magic make it quiver of holdings and be done with it.

I think it's better to make the player work for that sort of advantage/convenience.

Still, this is potentially a minor issue (depends on how powerful archery is) and not going to be a deal breaker. I just want more TB goodness.
Make it 10 grand and be done with it,nothing to think about. Experienced players will min max their income and get it early for convenience while other players will get i mid game. I am not saying that it should be the first thing that a random rat drops. Also 50 for arrow quiver is ok,maybe make that the inventory ones don't get an upper limit. After all you don't have like a 100 satchels filled with 100 gold coins. Inventory system is very abstract.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
After all you don't have like a 100 satchels filled with 100 gold coins. Inventory system is very abstract.
Actually, in the Gold Box games I found myself having to throw away cartloads of gold, because money had weight in those games. Of course, money didn't matter either, as past the early game you had accumulated more than you could possibly spend. GB also had arrows, though they stacked a lot higher than 50 per slot.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom