Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rain World: The Most Complex Ecosystem in any Game

Terenty

Liturgist
vast hand crafted maps
:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:
I've heard of it before and wasn't interested but I will now give it a try.
Be warned though: they don't feel hand-crafted! (imo)

On the contrary, they feel like procedurally generated, and that makes restarting the game and realising they're not (procedurally generated) all the worse. The more I remember the more awful it gets. You have been warned, I'm out though.
No, they do feel hand crafted and carefully designed around your moveset. That's actually another impressive aspect of the game, there's literally more than a thousand hand crafted screens in the game.

fork

The moveset is not that complex, lol.

You're suspicious anyway, shilling for this crap right before DLC release.

Curratum

I like to think I've sold a couple dozen copies of Northern Journey by mega-shilling for it here.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
My daughter was showing me this game about two weeks ago and was raving about it, but I had no idea it was so involved. I only watched her play for a few minutes and don't normally play many platformers so I thought it wouldn't be for me, but I might have to give it a shot. I do like the aesthetics very much.

toroid

Arcane
Your character's movement is quite slow compared to the other creatures of the world, and while there are videos showing some cool tricks, they looked to me more like exploiting the physics engine than something that you were supposed to do.
The movement tricks look like physics exploits because the movement is procedural physics based. For example: Rolling builds momentum that you can put towards jumping higher and farther, and there are several different ways to set up rolls. There are many ways to build momentum and many ways to benefit from it. There's a 60+ page document explaining the slugcat movement system: Rain World Movement Guide

fork

The game isn't good enough to spend significant time learning the movement.
Play Quake or Quake 3 (defrag) instead if intricate/difficult movement is your thing.

lightbane

Arcane
If you need to read a 60+ pages doc to learn how to fucking move your character, something is wrong with the game. Compare the Slugcat's sluggishness to say Ori from Ori games, which can move lightning fast and doesn't require you to game the mechanics.

toroid

Arcane
If you need to read a 60+ pages doc to learn how to fucking move your character, something is wrong with the game. Compare the Slugcat's sluggishness to say Ori from Ori games, which can move lightning fast and doesn't require you to game the mechanics.
You can play the game just fine without gitting gud, but if you really want it then there's plenty of gud to git.

Humbaba

Arcane
Game's pretty cool but the dogshit checkpoint system is a massive fucking drag at times.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
To those who wanna check out the game I recommend not watching the whole video since he spoils a lot of cool stuff.

Thanks for the warning. Only watched as far as the lizards fighting over you. Always seemed like a missed opportunity when devs divide NPCs so simply into "hostile to player" and "not", so it's really neat to see "conflict" between them even when they're the same kinds of enemies, rather than simply having neat, "team-based" behaviours. ^^

Quite a lofty claim from the video maker, but it looks like a fun puzzle box for one to work out the idiosyncrasies of. For those of us avoiding the rest of the video for now, is there anything else you'd compare it to in terms of the kind of ecosystem at play? I was imagining something like STALKER's NPCs, but less human.

═█═

Literate
It reminds me strongly of much older games like Knytt but also Flashback.
Omg, Knytt is the only platformer I have ever played that I liked enough to finish. Just how close to Knytt is this game?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honestly? Not that close. Knytt doesn't really have any enemies. But it's kinda similar in that exploration vibe. I'd say it's a 55%-65% match. Might not sound like much but that's how I see it. Similar but not exact vibes.

What's your favorite Knytt Stories? I liked that Lovecraftian one, and Don't Touch the Mushroom.

Terenty

Liturgist
Quite a lofty claim from the video maker, but it looks like a fun puzzle box for one to work out the idiosyncrasies of. For those of us avoiding the rest of the video for now, is there anything else you'd compare it to in terms of the kind of ecosystem at play? I was imagining something like STALKER's NPCs, but less human.
I'd say the only other game that gave me the same feeling is Space Rangers. A living world where you are just a part of it and not the centrepiece.

Humbaba

Arcane
Really infighting is as old as Doom, what's cool to me is the dynamic world, the scavenger AI and procedural animation, also how much effort went into the different parameters of every creature (weight, aggressiveness etc.). Again, the scavengers seem most impressive in that regard, according to the wiki every one of them is unique even.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
A living world where you are just a part of it and not the centrepiece.
That's a really appealing description!

Really infighting is as old as Doom,
I didn't mean it's never existed ^^; it's just not that common, and where it has existed it is generally quite superficial. Not (as this sounds) like unique behaviours that the player doesn't experience by themselves.

Elthosian

Arcane
Got this from the Steam sale and it’s pretty enjoyable; first game to engage my wife since Hollow Knight. It’s super fun to see her play and to take a close look at all of the game’s little details❤️ The exploration, controls and level design vaguely remind me of Super Metroid which is always nice.

index.php

Arcane
Introducing Rain World: The Watcher

Hey slugcats,

Rain World: The Watcher is the next DLC expansion of Rain World. Journey beyond to something, somewhere only ever glimpsed. When the world beneath your feet cracks and crumbles, will you hold on to all you once knew? Or dive into the unknown?

We are working hard on Rain World: The Watcher, and I can’t wait to share more information later. For now though, please wishlist on Steam!

The fourth slugcat of Rain World has not been forgotten, their time is coming.

-riv otter

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom