Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rain World: The Most Complex Ecosystem in any Game

Terenty

Liturgist
In hopes of getting more people to play one of the best, most inclined games ever made I post this video:

To those who wanna check out the game I recommend not watching the whole video since he spoils a lot of cool stuff.

I really do believe the main guy behind Rain World is some kind of a genius who should give lectures on game design

Silva

Arcane
Im not in home so can't watch vids. Can you give a short description? What's the game about, how is it's gameplay?

Edit: how does it compare to the STALKERs, just to cite another game with an alive ecosystem?

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
Im not in home so can't watch vids. Can you give a short description? What's the game about, how is it's gameplay?

Edit: how does it compare to the STALKERs, just to cite another game with an alive ecosystem?

It's a survival/platformer/stealth/action game where you need to traverse vast hand crafted maps. There are no skill points, no weapons to upgrade etc., your upgrading comes from you as a player familiarizing yourself with the environments, different things you can collect and sometimes consume and creatures and figuring out how to survive.

The AI is pretty elaborate and every type of creature has their own unique behaviour and hierarchy.

You are not the only target in the world with everyone out to get you. Creatures attack each other as well, but not in a suicidal way. Weak species will not attack stronger ones, but rather run away and hide.

There are also neutral creatures that mind their own business and will not attack until provoked.

The world exists without you, but restarts every time you die, i.e. creatures respawn from their shelters and go out hunting.

The world consists of a dozen huge( and i mean really, really big) non linear areas, which usually introduce some new gameplay mechanic and creatures.

In order to transition from one area to another you need to open so called karma gates with a special sign. Every time you successfully hibernate(sleep in a special shelter, which are located all over the world) you gain a karma sign. There are several signs and you need to hibernate as many times as needed to get the specific sign you need for the gates you want to open.

So the gameplay consists of this: you wake up from hibernation, go out and scavenge for food(fruits or bats) surviving different creatures along the way. To successfully hibernate again you need to fill your belly with food(several hollow dots on your UI that fill up when you eat).

You need to find a new shelter or go back to the one you just left in time before rain starts coming down obliterating everything and everyone. So there's kind of a timer. Usually they give you enough time to scavenge but still feel tension. When you die you respawn in a shelter and lose a karma sign.

It's a very difficult, sometimes unfair game(just by the nature of it's unpredictable,life like AI). But it's so fucking exhilarating and tense, with your heart literally pounding everytime you survive by the skin of your teeth, it's worth it. It's like fighting a Dark Souls boss barely surviving kind of stress, every time you go out of the shelter.

Kinda difficult to compare to Stalker, but when it comes to emergent gameplay and systems interacting with each other Rain World is ,imho, leading the way.

Last edited:

toroid

Arcane
Slugcat parkour simulator. The movement system in this game is profoundly deep and complex. It will feel like you have no speed or mobility until you begin to grasp how to control your character.
Here's a video showcasing character movement and combat by someone who is moderately skilled at the game. There are not any major spoilers but if you want to explore and learn completely on your own then don't watch:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I actually have this game but never got very far in it as I'm not clear on what my objective or goal is.

It reminds me strongly of much older games like Knytt but also Flashback.

Silva

Arcane

It's a survival/platformer/stealth/action game where you need to traverse vast hand crafted maps. There are no skill points, no weapons to upgrade etc., your upgrading comes from you as a player familiarizing yourself with the environments, different things you can collect and sometimes consume and creatures and figuring out how to survive.

The AI is pretty elaborate and every type of creature has their own unique behaviour and hierarchy.

You are not the only target in the world with everyone out to get you. Creatures attack each other as well, but not in a suicidal way. Weak species will not attack stronger ones, but rather run away and hide.

There are also neutral creatures that mind their own business and will not attack until provoked.

The world exists without you, but restarts every time you die, i.e. creatures respawn from their shelters and go out hunting.

The world consists of a dozen huge( and i mean really, really big) non linear areas, which usually introduce some new gameplay mechanic and creatures.

In order to transition from one area to another you need to open so called karma gates with a special sign. Every time you successfully hibernate(sleep in a special shelter, which are located all over the world) you gain a karma sign. There are several signs and you need to hibernate as many times as needed to get the specific sign you need for the gates you want to open.

So the gameplay consists of this: you wake up from hibernation, go out and scavenge for food(fruits or bats) surviving different creatures along the way. To successfully hibernate again you need to fill your belly with food(several hollow dots on your UI that fill up when you eat).

You need to find a new shelter or go back to the one you just left in time before rain starts coming down obliterating everything and everyone. So there's kind of a timer. Usually they give you enough time to scavenge but still feel tension. When you die you respawn in a shelter and lose a karma sign.

It's a very difficult, sometimes unfair game(just by the nature of it's unpredictable,life like AI). But it's so fucking exhilarating and tense, with your heart literally pounding everytime you survive by the skin of your teeth, it's worth it. It's like fighting a Dark Souls boss barely surviving kind of stress, every time you go out of the shelter.

Kinda difficult to compare to Stalker, but when it comes to emergent gameplay and systems interacting with each other Rain World is ,imho, leading the way.
Very interesting, I'll take a closer look.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I would have liked to play this game, but iirc when I bought it it just showed a black screen on launch. It was apparently a somewhat common and known issue with no fix planned. Thankfully steam refunds are a thing.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have this huge misconception about this game, i thought it's just another survival roguelike/ lite with random proc gen level.

Definitely interested in it too

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not at all. It's beautiful and hand-crafted.

I just installed it again because I didn't get into it last time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
It's one of these games with very occult (hidden) mechanics and goals which is initially why I quit it - that was a lot of fun when I had more time.

As far as I can tell your goal is to A) figure out the mechanics and how to survive in this uncaring world and B) finding your family.

Also, the game is both very hard (most things instantly kill you) and, due to relying on you on figuring things out, won't tell you half or even a quarter of all the movement abilities and methods. You will just need to experiment, like a kid.

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
Like is there an end goal / ending to the whole thing or you're just surviving as long as you can?
Yes there's a clear ending to the game, and even a story, but pretty obscure.

You can start the game on Monk(easy mode) or Survivor. I recommend Survivor as it's the intended way to play.

Also there's no shame in consulting some guides from time to time, when you get stuck, I know I did

lightbane

Arcane
Wasn't there a thread for this game somewhere? Either way, I tried this game, I liked what they wanted to do, but the blatant obfuscation going on is not fun. The game is better played with a pad than the keyboard IIRC, as the movement is more fluid. Your character's movement is quite slow compared to the other creatures of the world, and while there are videos showing some cool tricks, they looked to me more like exploiting the physics engine than something that you were supposed to do. It has artificial difficulty all over the place such as being unable to throw spears upwards or in diagonal, or stabbing with the fucking thing. Then there's the random timer, which can and WILL screw you if you're unlucky and you stumble upon an enemy blocking the way forward due RNG bullshit (or worse, towards one of the safe places you have to go periodically). The strategy is learning the place, survive for "x" cycles, cross the appropriate door, then repeat. It's quite stressful IMO, and the ending is shit and is not worth the effort.

There are mods that fixed some of these issues amongst others, which funnily enough will be integrated with the incoming DLC + patch.

Curratum

The issue is, there's so many pointless dead ends and pointless rooms, I got tired of contiually going past / dealing with enemies and predators to keep playing, and that happened 30 minutes into the game, which isn't great.

Terenty

Liturgist
The issue is, there's so many pointless dead ends and pointless rooms, I got tired of contiually going past / dealing with enemies and predators to keep playing, and that happened 30 minutes into the game, which isn't great.
Well, there's a map and there's not that many dead ends. That's the point of exploration, sometimes it leads to new places, sometimes to places where you can feed on bats, sometimes it loops and sometimes it's a dead end.

And 30 mins is nothing do you have no patience at all?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a game that's hard to get into but once you do, it's very charming and very unique. Pure explorefag goodness.

You gotta be a real explorefag to get something out of it though.

Ash

Arcane
Stray: Respectable Edition

Still probably wont play it. But this I respect.

Humbaba

Arcane
Currently 55% off on gog, bought it and will try it out sometime in the future. Looks interesting if nothing else and I'm all for supporting cool ideas.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
When I played I somehow skipped 90% of the game and got to the endgame by accident. Of course I couldn't progress after that since I must've missed something that I should've obtained during the game.
In any case any game that lets you do that is cool in my books, I plan on trying it again when the DLC comes out in 3 days.

fork

Well, there's a map and there's not that many dead ends. That's the point of exploration, sometimes it leads to new places, sometimes to places where you can feed on bats, sometimes it loops and sometimes it's a dead end.

And 30 mins is nothing do you have no patience at all?
The point is that the game starts to get samey and repetitive after 30 mins.
It's just a boring indie game with shitty level design and graphics, and a gimmick.
I hate gimmicks with nothing to support them; of which Rainworld is a perfect example.

fork

vast hand crafted maps
:obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:
I've heard of it before and wasn't interested but I will now give it a try.
Be warned though: they don't feel hand-crafted! (imo)

On the contrary, they feel like procedurally generated, and that makes restarting the game and realising they're not (procedurally generated) all the worse. The more I remember the more awful it gets. You have been warned, I'm out though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom