Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Raidou games

It's time to beat another Megaten. Out of all SMT games I haven't played yet, Raidou spin-offs seem to be most interesting ones so I'd like to know what's official codex opinion on them?

I've read somewhere that sequel is an improvement on every field so should I skip vs The Souless Army? Or may I ask ya differently - is vs King Abaddon such game which makes its predecessor unplayable / hard to play / pointelss to return to (Persona 4, God of War 2 etc.)?

Last edited:
Or may I ask ya differently - is vs King Abaddon such game which makes its predecessor unplayable / hard to play / pointelss to return to (Persona 4, God of War 2 etc.)?

I'd say King Abbadon makes Soulless Army very difficult to play due to the massive amount of core system improvements. Raidou controls better, demons companions have a lot more depth, two demons can be summoned at any given time, fusion mechanics are more robust, demon conversation actually exists (arguably the best interpretation of it in an SMT game), alignment is tracked, and there are (far) more than two sidequests in the entire game.

That's not to say Soulless Army isn't worth playing, just that it's extremely rough around the edges. It does have some mechanics that were scrapped in the sequel, like different elemental bullets, Combination Skills, and sending out demons on Solo Investigations (in which you directly control them, and only them, on the overworld as well as in battle). The storyline is notable in that it dispenses with the apocalyptic settings of most SMT games in favor of a lower-key (relatively speaking), lighthearted detective plot. As usually, the localization is excellent.

I'd give Soulless Army a try, and if it isn't to your liking, then go for King Abbadon, which is a legitimately great game.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Both a great and very interesting. ERM pretty much summed them up though, King Abbadon really improves on the core gameplay in every possible way. Still, the first game is enjoyable and the series as a whole has an atmosphere that's very unique for Megaten, a lot more chill and light-hearted. Great music too, of course.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I've read somewhere that sequel is an improvement on every field so should I skip vs The Souless Army? Or may I ask ya differently - is vs King Abaddon such game which makes its predecessor unplayable / hard to play / pointelss to return to (Persona 4, God of War 2 etc.)?

First game is definitely worth playing for the story alone if nothing else, just steel yourself for some rather intense encounter rate. And like Edward_R_Murrow says the localization is top notch while still capturing that rarely explored time period perfectly. If by any chance you have the physical edition do read the manual as it's written almost entirely in '20s-'30s lingo. From what I remember both games are also less balls bustingly difficult compared to the mainline series. That could just be my memory playing tricks on me, though.

Up.

I couldn't wait and watch entire RK vs TSA let's play, damn it's so good and wanna PLAY the second one on reasonable performance, guyz share these PCSX2 configs.

BTW intros of both games are mind-blowing.

Did you try the wiki config?

The game works smooth as butter. I think your computer just blows, man.

Thx for effort but the thing started to fuck up during first Kaya-Narumi cutscene: sound troubles, extreme slowdown etc. have you checked this too? Tutorial gameplay was kinda ok, my comp run most of PS2 games fluently (at least the ones I've tried).

Malpercio

Arcane
1 is kinda bad.

2 is some really good stuff, expect the story which sucks (suffers from the same problem as P4, the writing is incredibly verbose without any needing for that)

I'm finishing 2nd Chapter of Raidou 2 (suffering from massive slowdowns in cutscenes / crowded places) and being curious about one thing - since I fused demonz with nice (varied) skillset I still haven't need to fuse better party, maybe I'm wrong but is seems like, unlike e.g. in Nocturne, demonz level up as fast as MC. In most of all SMT I've finished (~11) I would change my team 3 or 4 times so far but in RKvKA I steamroll through everything including bosses, WTF? To the codexers who made a full playthrough - how often did you replace your demonz with superior ones? Is this game THAT easy? Obviously the situations when u need a demon to be used in non-combat events don't count.

Last edited:
Nah, Raidou games are just really easy. In fact for everything in Raidou 2 except the final level I pretty much used nothing but the starter spells that enchanted your weapon with different elements for massive damage. This is especially better than relying on your demons in most fights since they too often miss, or hit at the wrong time where the enemy isn't vulnerable to being stunned, while with the weapon enchantment you just wail on them. For the final boss I went with the high level elemental spells since he goes out of range too often.

The reoccurring fiend bosses get to be a PITA though simply because they run around so much and some don't have weaknesses

The reoccurring fiend bosses get to be a PITA though simply because they run around so much and some don't have weaknesses

White Rider was indeed kinda difficult but it's my fault coz I didn't fuse demon with frost sword/killer skill (they're unique in SMT franchise so I did'n even know 'bout their existence), tafter hen killing Red Rider using Volt Sword was I cakewalk and I didn't care of Black Rider being weakness-free - I killed him easily by fusing previous Rider coz in his game Fiend fusion doesn't depend on Raidou's level! Gaem's broken as hell.

I've got another question about alignment, it really influences ending only? No additional bosses or smt?

I've got another question about alignment, it really influences ending only? No additional bosses or smt?

It has a few effects. Mostly, it determines what sort of boss you will face at certain times. Given that you've killed three Riders, I'd assume you've already passed at least one of these points (unless you're playing on King Mode from the start, via a modded save; not necessarily a bad idea). One boss won't allow you to fuse him if you are of a certain alignment when you defeat him. There are also some side missions exclusive to either Law or Chaos alignment. Also, alignment also determines the penultimate boss you face, as well as the ending you receive. Finally, depending on what alignment you end the game with, future games will have different things unlocked on repeat cycles. Check the spoiler tags for what they do if you don't mind some, well, spoilers.

*Alignment boss fights:

-Chapter 3 boss fight (Cybele for Law Atavaka for Chaos)
-Chapter 5 boss, Mikaboshi, will only join you in Neutral of Chaos Aligned
-One or two boss fights in the final dungeon; different ones if Law or Chaos, both if Neutral (Astaroth and Camael)
-The penultimate boss (Law Hero or Chaos Hero; trying to avoid serious spoilers here)

*Alignment Side Quests

-One to find and fight Alice if Chaos aligned (mid-late game)
-One to fight Asura if Law Aligned (late game)

*Carryover effects

-If you complete the game while Chaos aligned, a sequence of three side missions are opened up against a relatively tough extra opponent.
-Completing all sidequests, including the Chaos alignment carryover ones, and entering the endgame with a Neutral alignment will unlock a really secret boss fight.

Edit: Whoops.

Ok, next time I lay my hands and my main PC that can emulate PS2 I'll finish the last chapter.
Despite being a lawfag in SMT I intended to choose chaos route in order to unlock Lucy and Masakado cases in NG+ BUT I've read somewhere that starting a game on King Mode does not carry your progress. Fuck compendium, fuck summoner's rank but will case files status share the same fate?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom