Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage of Mages

Andhaira

Arcane
Anyone remember these games? They were some of the earliest action rpg's, the predecessors to diablo. Cute games, kind of a mixture of gauntlet and tradtional ultima's.
I didn't enjoy them much because of the clickfest combat, but I have never heard them mentioend here and thought they do deserve one at least.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You are such a dumbfuck.

Rage of Mages was after Diablo, Russian, and a lot of fun- and half the things you say about it are blatantly false.

Actually, fuck this.

Shannow

Waster of Time
So, do any christians here pirate media? If so, do you think you'll go to hell for stealing or do you think the ten commandmends don't cover copyright infringement?

Mareus

Magister
Rage of Mages is as similar to Diablo as Diablo is similar to Warcraft 3, which means those two games are NOT similar at all! THERE IS NO CLICKFEST COMBAT! ROM just like Warcraft 3 is basically a strategy game with some basic RPG elements, but you can't build buildings and you have a lot more loot, which makes it a bit more of RPG than Warcraft 3. If you ask me it is most certainly worth playing and it is a shame that with time it became nothing more than another forgotten gem.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Played only RoM2 and I liked it, even replayed it several times. I liked how frustratingly racist it was in some places, and how it made you yell 'IGLES, NOOOOOOOOOOO' about 50 times per mission.

Luzur

Good Sir
maybe Andhaira had somesort of pakistani bootleg of Rage of Mages? with bits cut in from traditional Ultimas and Gauntlet?
So, do any christians here pirate media? If so, do you think you'll go to hell for stealing or do you think the ten commandmends don't cover copyright infringement?

but of you are a protestant or a non-believer? anyway we are all still going to hell anyway so copy that floppy!

Mareus

Magister
Darth Roxor said:
Played only RoM2 and I liked it, even replayed it several times. I liked how frustratingly racist it was in some places, and how it made you yell 'IGLES, NOOOOOOOOOOO' about 50 times per mission.

I have the second part, but I never played it... Well, tried a bit and it seemed to me like it was made just for a quick buck, less polished and all that crap. I would recommend the first part to anyone, though.

lordfrikk

Scholar
Thanks for reminding me that this game exits, haven't been playing it for ages!

Lemme get the cd... alright, here I come!

romn.png

Aothan

Magister
haha wow, the cd rom options really speak to a dated game. Also, sounds like an excellent game..

oh, and, the conventional interpretation of hell is not actually founded on a unified depiction of the Bible's account, hell has always meant 'destruction of being', not 'suffer eternally'.

Anyway, if someone wants to post pictures of the game or maybe a link to some I would like to see more visuals of the game in play.

Andhaira

Arcane
It WAS a clickfest game. Not button mash click fest, but pure click oriented clickfest. Combat was real time and similar to most RTS's of the day.

And I am pretty sure the first RoM came out before diablo. Though I could be wrong.

The game sucked. I couldn't get into it at all. Combat was a grind, story was shit, there were no choices...

Bt the game looked pretty cute and played fast paced. Might be good today for retro value

lordfrikk

Scholar
Aothan said:
Anyway, if someone wants to post pictures of the game or maybe a link to some I would like to see more visuals of the game in play.

Here you go... (LOL I forgot the game uses HOMAM2 fonts, even more awesome!).

LINK

EDIT // GOOGLE FUCKED UP MY LINKS

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
AndhairaX said:
And I am pretty sure the first RoM came out before diablo. Though I could be wrong.

Rage of Mages by Microïds -- 1998
a.k.a. Аллоды: Печать тайны
Windows
Genre: Action, Role-Playing (RPG), Strategy

Diablo by Blizzard Entertainment Inc. -- 1997
Windows
Genre: Action, Role-Playing (RPG)

And if that's not enough, another hint why it's stupid to compare RoM with Diablo
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/r ... tId,13513/

Sure, there are the paperdolls and grinding for better equipment, but still...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Aothan said:
oh, and, the conventional interpretation of hell is not actually founded on a unified depiction of the Bible's account, hell has always meant 'destruction of being', not 'suffer eternally'.
Only that Mathew has Jesus talking about a lake of fire, eternal damnation, etc.
And Christian churches and sects are in eternal argument over there being a Hell, if there is how it is manifested (eternal torture, non-existence, no love from God, etc) and who goes there (non-believers, sinners, both...). Not to mention that the bible was revised several times and who knows what was cut, added or changed.
Your confusion is quite understandable given the confusing nature of the bible and religion in general.

Andhaira

Arcane
So I was wrong. Diablo came first. Whoop de do.

Anyhow, rom still sucks though.

Mareus

Magister
AndhairaX said:
So I was wrong. Diablo came first. Whoop de do.

Anyhow, rom still sucks though.

Depends how you look at the game. I agree it had some pretty sucky elements, like having to explore every inch of the map just to be sure you don't miss something important. It sucked that you had to pick up every bag of loot seperatly, it sucked that you had to grind if you wanted to have powerful heroes, the story was not memorable, but it wasn't bad either. Maps get repetitive after a while, etc. Still the game had very good real time combat, where you really needed to use strategy and troop formations in order to survive. There was an immense amount of loot, which was done much better than in some "pure" RPGs. There was a lot of quests and maps, a lot of different units you could bring with you, a lot of thinking had to go how to spend your money, on which type of training, on which troops, etc. I don't remember anymore, but I think there was a few choices to be made in the game, and it even had some basic dialog trees if I remember correctly (I could be wrong though). If you ask me it was better then both Diablo and Warcraft 3 put together. Of course, just don't expect it to be something that the game is not.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
St. Toxic said:
How about getting a coop thing going? ROM2 had a decent server system.

Not to mention the priceless feeling of running into a level 3-4 dragon right at the start, because you strayed too far from the road :D

Turok

Erudite
Muahah i was thinking what whas the name of this games 1 week ago because it was remembering how good it was and how the good times i have playing it with my brother.

I really like this game, was really good.

oscar

Arcane
Made by the same guys who did Evil Island which I rented when I was like 11 and it was pretty fun. It even had C&C and the like if I recall correctly. And a fairly intresting main character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom