Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

QuestLord RPG

QuestLord

Novice
Hey there! this is my first post! My name is Eric Kinkead and I am a game developer. Currently I am wrapping up a game that I am making for iOS/Android devices that is an homage to cRPGs. My game is called QuestLord and you can check it out here... www.questlord.com

This being my first post I am not sure if it will get approved in time, but I have an email sign-up contest for QuestLord as well that ends on Saturday of Oct3rd. You can win cool pixelated buttons/pins and get a chance to have your character name in my new RPG as an NPC! The contest is ongoing, every week, except the NPC part, because I have to go to code completion this week. But once you are on the email, you are always able to win the drawing unless you have won previously! The link for the sign-up is here.

I look very forward to participating on the rpgCodex, engaging in questions discussions and finding out about other RPGs!

bests!
Eric Kinkead

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Currently I am wrapping up a game that I am making for iOS/Android devices that is an homage to cRPGs.
oook... why not make it for the PC then? ...any plans to port it (preferably without touchy interface)?

This being my first post I am not sure if it will get approved in time, but I have an email sign-up contest for QuestLord as well that ends on Saturday of Oct3rd.
:lol: ... the codex approval fairy is a cruel mistress guess that's supposed to be november, sorry approval fairy

I look very forward to participating on the rpgCodex, engaging in questions discussions and finding out about other RPGs!
i hope you like pizza

the promo clip on your site is rather meh and uninformative... your little talkie video shows much more about the game and you might want to expand on that:

QuestLord

Novice
LOL

You look kinda like Ozzy Osbourne.

I kind of act like Ozzy Osbourne too...I am full of bumbled misinformation! so...bonus for you guys! I think at one point in that video I call the iPad a phone. Also it obviously did not come out at the end of summer. :D

Oct.3rd? What is that? I have I no idea who wrote that...

xVyoSl.jpg

But honestly, I am dedicated and passionate about this. Not trying to promise the world. But I really think anyone with a somewhat modern smart phone (that is not Windows Mobile...yet) will really get a kick out of this game. And it's only going to cost the price of a candy bar and soda, (I am not going to get rich off this.)

clarification:
Ok, the contest runs every week, but NOVEMBER 3rd is that cut off day for having a name of your choice as an NPC in my game. (and my approval, Mr.Evil Sox wont do) So not only do you get to see me completely 'Ozzy my way' through pitches on this forum, but now you get the chance to have your name misspelled in my game! You can't resist that!

Regarding PC, unfortunately it is going to make it to the Mac before it arrives on PC. And I have no idea why other than the SDK I use will have the option soon to build for that platform. The game IS designed to be held with one hand and played on a phone with a tiny screen. But hopefully my SDK will have PC available as well soon shortly following when I am able to make a build for the Mac. At least I think my SDK will eventually be able for PC since every iOS is going lame App Stores. The main reason I never made this on the PC is because it really just started out as a test of graphics and buttons. And before I knew it, I was subconsciously converting a PC game style to the smart phone without realizing it. (see accurate Ozzy description)

procrastinator, do you play Mouse Guard? that avatar rules!

:codexisfor:

It's from Ultima V Lazarus actually.

Anyway, regarding your game. I don't have anything to play it on, so I don't really care, but if you want people to at least consider whining about how you should make a PC version first, then you better post some real gameplay videos. Also, it seems you control only a single character in this game, not a party, right?

QuestLord

Novice
right. Party of 1 ! :D Like, when I go to a restaurant by myself! :D I think the latest trend with Dungeon Crawlers is to jam as many people as possible into the player's square. Mob crawlers. Since my game is display size limited it is designed single character from the start. It just makes much more sense with this. The design being specifically for smart phones is another reason why I think a PC port might be awkward. But I am looking into it if my SDK makes it available(which there is talk of). If I do it I am thinking about putting the Inventory Screen always on the left of the display and the Map Scroll always on the right to get a more proper monitor aspect ratio.

It seems like I get about 1/2 of cRPG players interest as most equate smartphones w/just Angry Birds. Another reason why I decided to follow through with it. Thanks for taking the time though!! And great advice about more gameplay videos.

Hey you might like the Mouse Guard RPG series. Highly recommended table top rpg.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Hey there! this is my first post! My name is Eric Kinkead and I am a game developer. Currently I am wrapping up a game that I am making for iOS/Android devices that is an homage to cRPGs. My game is called QuestLord and you can check it out here... www.questlord.com

This being my first post I am not sure if it will get approved in time, but I have an email sign-up contest for QuestLord as well that ends on Saturday of Oct3rd. You can win cool pixelated buttons/pins and get a chance to have your character name in my new RPG as an NPC! The contest is ongoing, every week, except the NPC part, because I have to go to code completion this week. But once you are on the email, you are always able to win the drawing unless you have won previously! The link for the sign-up is here.

bests!
Eric Kinkead

Hey Man. Recently started playing your game and I like it a lot. Perfect on my phone for short bursts of play when I am here or there. UI very intuitive. Only complaint is that I can't seem to interpret any marker for which quests are completed (my memory is bad). Pixel graphics are spectacular. Did you make all the graphics and sound assets yourself? I know this thread is old but wanted to let you know. Nice work and thanks! :)

ColCol

Arcane
This person has not been on this forum for around five years.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
This person has not been on this forum for around five years.
I understand that, but he may still get alerts through email. Even so I don't mind if it causes some to check it out because I think it is a decent game as phone apps go. :)

Sacibengala

Prophet
Got the first one on ipad, it was free. Looks nice. Anyone knows about other games in the same style that can share? I already know about the quest and grimrock ones.

ADL

Prophet
As soon as I read mobile, I was immediately disappointed but this looks pretty neat tbh.

rohand

Cipher
Yeah I've been playing this for a long time in my android phone and I can vouch it's pretty cool (even though it's somewhat simplist)

Curratum

Second installment seems a bit more involved in terms of gear and options. Gotta install and see.

Ranarama

Learned
My phone still has 'Questlord' as a default autocomplete thanks to playing this game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom