Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Quest for Glory Series Available on GOG.com

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Sierra got a bad rap about how easy the player could die in their games, but especially in QFG dying is half the fun, the developers always tried to squeeze a joke in there. It was like a mini-game all by itself.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Don't you think it's strange that your hero becoming a wizard became the default? It's like they were trying to setup a new fighter/paladin situation and said "fuck this, it's too similar, they are wizards now".

BTW: i think this is a exception to the eligibility of paladinhood. IIRC Rakesh will not initiate you if you become a wizard even if you're overflowing with honor.

This always confuses me in the games: i think that there are both class checks, skill presence checks and inventory checks. So sometimes you can do things (like buying a sword in 1 if you have parry) that may affect other things (like becoming a paladin even if a "thief" - don't know if having a sword is a prerequisite though).

For instance i know having a lockpick and lockpick/stealth skill is not enough to have the thief sign on QFG3 or QFG1. But if you start as a thief, become a paladin you can know the sign (so it's not a class check, or only a class check).
Multiclassing is very obscure (and full of "defaults"/oversights), and the walkthroughs and guides around only scratch the top.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sierra got a bad rap about how easy the player could die in their games, but especially in QFG dying is half the fun, the developers always tried to squeeze a joke in there. It was like a mini-game all by itself.
And in Space Quest, dying is *all* the fun. Or at least it is if you don't want them to drive you insane.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
10$ seems a good price to me!
And most games work in ScummVM (not 4 and 5).
The fourth is the oen I likethe most I think, though. Cheesy, atmospheric and fun at the same times.

TripJack

Hedonist
I SURE HOPE MR. AND MRS. COLE AND THE OTHER FINE DEVS AT SIERRA ENJOY MY $9.99

herpa derpa :hearnoevil:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Look at it this way: good sales on the bundle might make the evil corporate overlords at Activision start seeing little flying dollar signs, and actually allow something useful to be done with the property.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fourth is the oen I likethe most I think, though. Cheesy, atmospheric and fun at the same times.

Do NOT play them with ScummVM. Use DOSBox instead. ScummVM uses its own save system, so the saves you make cannot be imported into the next game.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron

Do NOT play them with ScummVM. Use DOSBox instead. ScummVM uses its own save system, so the saves you make cannot be imported into the next game.
Yes they can. They just (optionally) compress the saves. You can decompress them with 7zip and they will work fine in the original interpreter.

*Spoiler*

Any class can become a Paladin after 2. I think I saw an interview with Corey Cole once, where he described the system. Not only do you need to have 120-130 honor, but there is also a hidden "paladin points" system in the game. These need to reach a certain level, and are awarded for different actions, such as returning Omar's purse or giving money to the beggar several times. They can also be subtracted, depending on your actions, such as stealing or killing the Griffin.

In the third game, a fighter had one more chance to become a Paladin, but none of the other classes could, if they missed it in the second.

So I'm going back to a replay of the entire QFG series, I just beat the first one yesterday (VGA version, I had only played the EGA one back in the day), it was pretty great, other than the Brigand maze being a little glitchy (door didn't work and required a couple reloads and lowering CPU cycle speeds in DOSBox).

I'm starting the 2nd one now and I'm torn between playing the EGA version or the recent-ish VGA remake. On the one hand, the EGA version had pretty gorgeous graphics considering the limitations and an awesome MT32 soundtrack, on the other hand just thinking about the city maze makes me lazy and the parser isn't the best (even though parsers don't bother me per se). I've played the EGA version before (never did finish it though), all those years ago, but frankly don't remember much past the first few screens. What would your suggestion be?

I also recommend the remake. It's very nice, and I really like the combat system they introduced.

And the city maze was a bit annoying, but I could probably still find the money changer, and my way back to the gate plaza, to buy the map, even today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom