Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Quest for Glory Series Available on GOG.com

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Quest for Glory

Quest for Glory 1-5 are now available on GOG.com as a single pack for the price of $9.99.

• Includes both: VGA and original version of Quest for Glory 1.
  • Venture across five huge worlds, each based on a different culture and mythology, from Germanic fairy tales, through Arabian and Slavic folklore, right down to Greek mythology.
  • Three starting character classes to choose from (fighter, magic user, and thief). This decision not only modifies the gameplay but also the story, providing for excellent replayability.
  • You can transfer your character from one game to the next. The skills and wealth you worked for so hard are not lost!

Overview:

Are you feeling adventurous, Hero? The world of Gloriana, with all its wonderful diversity, awaits you. In this pack of five classic Sierra adventure games you will create your character (a warrior, thief, or magic user) and set out on a grand journey for fortune and fame! You will solve quests and puzzles, fight monsters, and save innocents.

In the Quest for Glory pack, which contains all five parts of the classic action RPG games by Sierra, you create your own character, choose his class and abilities and then set out on your grand voyage. Quest for Glory games are universally acclaimed as one of the best adventure games ever developed. After completing a part, you can import your character into the next one, keeping your skills and some special rewards you've hoarded, like magic items.

The story is another of the Quest for Glory series' strong points. It's very solid and immersive, with a light-hearted and humorous narrative that will keep you glued to the screen throughout each of the five installments.​

A great opportunity to try out the games if you still have not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
COOL! I've been looking for these on GoG forever wondering where the fuck they were. Some of my first gaming memories were of the glorious Quest for Glory series.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If I didn't already own two copies of the Anthology and QfG5 I'd surely buy them again. As it is, I can only give my most heartfelt recommendation for anyone to try out this series if you already haven't.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
How is this series for C&Cs?
From what I remember, the consequences are mostly limited to your choice of class / skills at the beginning. Having magic opens up certain pathways, same as sneaking and lockpicking vs. going the fighter aka combat route.

Plotwise, they're pretty linear, standard adventure plots for its time.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Virtually non-existent for any class other than fighter, who have a certain amount of choice in how they approach some situations and can change class to Paladin later based on previous decisions. As with most Sierra games, the consequences of a sub-optimal choice = instant death.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Is a patch for Error 54 already applied? My run through the series came to a grinding halt at IV due to that damn thing.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Perhaps you mean error 52 in the swamp? I thought adjusting the CPU cycles in Dosbox made it playable.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Virtually non-existent for any class other than fighter, who have a certain amount of choice in how they approach some situations and can change class to Paladin later based on previous decisions. As with most Sierra games, the consequences of a sub-optimal choice = instant death.
More than the fighter could change to paladin in the second. I seem to recall that it was possible to have a paladin that started out as a thief (!). I think it could also happen in the 3rd (but only fighters)

Some items transfer through the games.
Paladins get some quests only they can solve (as do other classes sometimes, but it happens most often with paladins).

Also they should have included the QFG2 remake ffs. It's very good, free, and also transfers to the rest.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Different stats and abilities allow you to solve problems in different ways. Choose which stats to develop (they improve through practice) and face the consequences.
If you're talking about BIS/Obsidian or Witcher-style dialog choices C&C, then there isn't much of that, no.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
C&C: first interracial sex experience

:smug:

Additional Consequence: dumped for black stallion.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
More than the fighter could change to paladin in the second. I seem to recall that it was possible to have a paladin that started out as a thief (!). I think it could also happen in the 3rd (but only fighters)
Only fighters can become Paladins within the game. Other classes can manually choose to change to any class, including Paladins when you import into III or IV. New characters can never be Paladins.

Paladins get some quests only they can solve (as do other classes sometimes, but it happens most often with paladins).
Every class gets *something* unique that they can do in each game, although since any class can learn magic there's not a lot of totally exclusive things for mages. Most puzzles have more than one solution as well.

Also they should have included the QFG2 remake ffs. It's very good, free, and also transfers to the rest.
It is, but there were probably unknowable labyrinthine legal issues with Activision to even get the games released at all, much less to include 3rd party creations with the package. It's easy enough to get/install it on your own anyway.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Only fighters can become Paladins within the game. Other classes can manually choose to change to any class, including Paladins when you import into III or IV. New characters can never be Paladins.
Nope. I swear i had it happen before. Maybe i am confusing things with a fighter with magic and lockpicking in 1 though. And it's possible that doing things like that (having lockpicking) is enough to get the "thief sign" in 2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nope. I swear i had it happen before. Maybe i am confusing things with a fighter with magic and lockpicking in 1 though.

Yeah, Aeschylus is wrong. I'm pretty sure all classes can become paladins in QFG2. Thieves rarely will though because robbery quests make them lose honor

In QFG3 it probably is just fighters, though.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Could be, I don't remember it being possible for anyone who's not a fighter. Maybe if you purchased the Parry skill or something. o_O

Every class definitely does get their little exclusives at some point during the series though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Hilariously (like all the skills); you can grind honor. It takes a lot of preparation in 1 to grind money and pills enough (think pills transfer intact or something so it's better to get those to grind on 2 to get both money and skills), so that you have enough money you can offset the few honorless things you might want to do.

This is bad and you should feel aspie if you do it
Besides, being care free with your skills AND importing the hero can lead to a hilarious disastrous first run
(<- all 500 paladin-thief-wizardmage club in QFG5; except armageddon and summon staff. Guildmaster of course)

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Yeah, I vaguely remember being able to grind honor by doing something with the griffon. It's been a while since I played II, I admit.

Grinding Lockpicking is the best... and also the best way to die Pick your nose! :D

III is definitely the easiest game to grind in, due to the unlimited Stamina potions, though I never had any problems in II maxing out all my skills well before I had to leave Shapeir.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's kinda difficult if you have all the skills and want the spells too - and there are time limits at certain stages so it's not something you can really do without knowing the games intimately.
My OCD's is showing.

I advice just playing a class 1rst time. Even then, if you transfer it's likely your hero will be higher in some stats and lower in others (especially spells, which are a pain to grind, but there are few threshold checks for fortunately)

the paladin has 3 great quests in QFG4. Did you know i only discovered 1 of them 2 years ago! Wtf (the wraith one).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Heh, I never grinded stats in those games - except the first (at the "goblin HQ", which was pretty much put in the game to facilitate grinding) where you really needed to improve your physical and combat stats to be able to survive fights.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
There's no time limit in 3, hence why it's the easiest. Before you go to the last area you can just wander around the savannah fighting/shooting spells at shit/throwing rocks until everything is maxed out. The exercise things in the village also make it easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom