Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Quasimorph - dark turn-based extraction RPG - now available on Early Access

Harthwain

Magister
USB now unlocks item to craft
Huh. I guess they wanted to make each run matter more, but I feel like developers are shooting themselves in the foot by changing the previous approach to this. Do you at least have a better backpack at the beginning, to compensate for the need to carry extra crafting items?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
USB now unlocks item to craft
Huh. I guess they wanted to make each run matter more, but I feel like developers are shooting themselves in the foot by changing the previous approach to this. Do you at least have a better backpack at the beginning, to compensate for the need to carry extra crafting items?

There really isn't "each run", the game has sort of strategic layer now. You have a ship that can travel around taking mission from different corpo, each having different rewards. Unlocling new item chips allow you to craft them on ship.

You do start with one backpack. And as I said before, your priority in tutorial should be gathering rags+thread so you can craft backpack otherwise you get fucked if that one guy died with your 1 backpack on.

Right now the game has massive problem of softlocking you because certain items (like base trash pistol/knife/clothes) require material (which you can only get from mission by disassembling stuff like before). The first 1 or 2 missions after tutorial now becomes a check basically. If you fail both you ended up with naked clone with no weapon which pretty much a soft lock as you will get murdered in mission with no weapon.

THe dev really need to make base weapon (pistol/knife) free. Having no armor is kinda fine as truly base armor has only 1 damage reduction anway. But having no weapon is impossible

Harthwain

Magister
Right now the game has massive problem of softlocking you because certain items (like base trash pistol/knife/clothes) require material (which you can only get from mission by disassembling stuff like before). The first 1 or 2 missions after tutorial now becomes a check basically. If you fail both you ended up with naked clone with no weapon which pretty much a soft lock as you will get murdered in mission with no weapon.

THe dev really need to make base weapon (pistol/knife) free.
Dear Lord... The demo was nice, because at least it gave you some basic equipment in the beginning with the option to unlock other stuff. Now you can end up being literally naked? I can see the game getting mass negative review now. WTF has happened to the developers they thought it was a good idea to fix what wasn't broken?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

Dear Lord... The demo was nice, because at least it gave you some basic equipment in the beginning with the option to unlock other stuff. Now you can end up being literally naked? I can see the game getting mass negative review now. WTF has happened to the developers they thought it was a good idea to fix what wasn't broken?

Essentially the full game now is something that is bigger in scope than the demos. The demos has you only repeating the tactical layer with random starting equipment. Now they added strategic layer so equipment after "losing" no longer free.

This is fine in concept alone but yeah, as mentioned right now you can literally softlocked by being stuck with naked clone. After that it is purely RNG. You pop in a mission hoping there is some gun in the ground or anything you can use to kill mob and take their clothing and weapon (even then if no backpack you are still fucked altho some enemies drop backpacks).

At least make the knife free, melee with the melee Class is actually viable in this game

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Alright, so 3 hours later. I'm having fun with it, but I agree that the balancing is lol-tier and they're going to get savaged on the Steam reviews (just checked and they're down to 65% positive, ouch).

I kind of like this ruthlessly unbalanced, hardcore type gameplay but it's totally understandable why people don't. At least the EA version tells you what the keyboard does, instead of the demo where you had to guess what the wait action button was. :-D

Random tips:

• Enemies have the same health system you have, so wound them, give them tick damage, and run away while they walk to death. You can see their conditions by right clicking twice on them.
  • You can block doors and shoot enemies as they break them down.
  • The beginner knife is actually insanely good.
  • You can switch to run mode in combat, which locks inventory but gives you three AP instead of two. Not a fan of this mechanic as it makes the game fiddly.
  • Some of your operatives are just better. The one with higher HP and food capacity is nice, with only a minor accuracy dip?
  • You can put items in your grenade slot or whatever it's called.
  • The AI is kind of stupid and you can juke them.
  • You can shoot people off walkways and ledges with pushback weapons.
  • Defense contracts are much easier than the others, as you get less food pressure and there's only one map.
  • You can throw melee weapons almost endlessly.
  • Chainblade gun (or whatever it's actually called) can bounce back on you. Hilariously amputated my entire left side but I somehow was still able to complete the mission?
  • Your amputations are fixed post mission, like most things.
  • Strip everyone of their clothes and dissemble them. You'll have enough rags and thread to make loads of backpacks from one mission.
  • Mission rewards are usually trash, it's what you loot from the actual level that will be useful.

I had to restart once because I ran out of backpacks and going in with 4 inventory slots is brutal.

The main problem is without narrative missions, there doesn't seem to be a lot going on in the game. I already got the legend armor set, three chainsaw guns and a heap of ammo. Not sure what else there is left to do. Not sure what passing time does.

Oh well, loading in buck naked with a backpack and axe is still fun.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

It's a little bit tedious, but a single one of the defense missions will give you enough raw resources to make all the base backpacks and weapons you'll probably need. You just need to dissemble all the clothes/weapons on the level.

I just did that and I probably have enough to make like 20+ tourist backpacks, which I don't ever see myself needing that many.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
New patch dropped and they increase the starting equipment significantly, enough for 3 - 4 runs

sser

Arcane
Developer

It's a little bit tedious, but a single one of the defense missions will give you enough raw resources to make all the base backpacks and weapons you'll probably need. You just need to dissemble all the clothes/weapons on the level.

I just did that and I probably have enough to make like 20+ tourist backpacks, which I don't ever see myself needing that many.

I've gotten the full-stock backpacks from trading, fwiw.

The trading is strangely vague -- you just sorta give them what they're asking and they'll dish you some random slop ranging from crap you don't need to massive upgrades in gear.

buffalo bill

Arcane
looks cool, but might wait a bit before I buy it based on what people are saying itt

PlayerEmers

Novice
looks cool, but might wait a bit before I buy it based on what people are saying itt
will probably wait as well for more content.
I see potential in this game but buying it on it's current state will probably bore me rather quickly, just like other loot-focused early access games (zero sievert, zed zone). Eventually you loot enough good stuff that you basically have nothing else better to loot and since its early access, there is not much else to see (systems/mechanics or lore fluff to mess with)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The moment-to-moment gameplay is great but a lot of the design choices outside of combat is very strange.

The mission rewards are random items that may or may not be useful. Usually you get trash like bandages... which are free to make on your ship.

Like sser said, the bartering system is really random too. There's too much RNG in strategic layer stuff.

The time limits and travel time make it really hard to choose your missions, for no apparent reason.

Way too many enemies on missions, making them long slogs. Hopefully the update changes that.

The translation is off, the writing seems really wonky.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This is weird, looks like a cross between Space Hulk and Underrail

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
RIP game, completely broken by morphine crafting. I now have a massive amount of endgame gear. Edit: more like late midgame I guess? But you can farm it pretty easily.

It was fun while it lasted.

1696402153364.png

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
RIP game, completely broken by morphine crafting. I now have a massive amount of endgame gear.

Ah yeah one of the faction wants morphine. I think the craftable one so far are morphine and I think there are one looking for medkit?

Didn't expect this level of abuse tho lol

Well I am working to restore government and abolish corpo dystopia instead by helping the Civic Union guy. Probably will try becoming a race traitor by joining the Aztec Demon guy

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm happy to report that despite having a near endless supply of full-slot backbacks, the game remains very challenging. It seems like more difficult contracts are offered based on the number of missions you've completed. Not sure if in-game time actually figures into the mission difficulty at all.

However, the game's difficultly is hard-gated by backpacks. Packing enough food and healing supplies is vital.

This game is 50/50 one of the best tactical roguelikes I've seen recently, and also a ball of really strange design decisions and balancing horrors.

Üstad

Arcane
How to start a mission and kick some ass? The game menu is kind of weird, and I don't know what to do? I'm on earth and there are only peaceful factions, is there any incentives to visit them? Also what do we gain from subcribing factions, how this whole thing even work? I honestly have no idea how this game even works.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
How to start a mission and kick some ass? The game menu is kind of weird, and I don't know what to do? I'm on earth and there are only peaceful factions, is there any incentives to visit them? Also what do we gain from subcribing factions, how this whole thing even work? I honestly have no idea how this game even works.

You visit peaceful stations to trade. Which is basically just dumping the goods they want into a box and hoping they'll give you useful stuff in return. You can see the stuff they have to give you in the stock market tab, and when they grow in power, they get better stuff.

You can see available missions in the system map. Yes, the stupid time system means most missions will be cleared by the time you arrive. You can't really fast-forward enough to wait for new missions without moving.

If you want to break the economy of the game, craft morphine to sell. It will make the game slightly easier.

It is really fucking hard. A good mind for tactics and knowing the game will help you survive, but even then sometimes you get 1-shot from across the map by an unseen sniper. Missions are way too long, takes like 30+ mins to clear them. Defense missions are the best bet for now.

Üstad

Arcane

You visit peaceful stations to trade. Which is basically just dumping the goods they want into a box and hoping they'll give you useful stuff in return. You can see the stuff they have to give you in the stock market tab, and when they grow in power, they get better stuff.

You can see available missions in the system map. Yes, the stupid time system means most missions will be cleared by the time you arrive. You can't really fast-forward enough to wait for new missions without moving.

If you want to break the economy of the game, craft morphine to sell. It will make the game slightly easier.

It is really fucking hard. A good mind for tactics and knowing the game will help you survive, but even then sometimes you get 1-shot from across the map by an unseen sniper. Missions are way too long, takes like 30+ mins to clear them. Defense missions are the best bet for now.
Duly noted, thanks. What about the faction subscribtion thing and the stock exchange numbers?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Duly noted, thanks. What about the faction subscribtion thing and the stock exchange numbers?
'That's just subbing to their "News" which means everything related to them is highlighted in yellow (e.g. when picking where to go planet with their mission is in yellow)

Stock Exchange number is AAAA(+-BB)

AAAA is their current power -> higher means stronger enemies I think. Game basically gets harder the longer you goes, every faction has power growth per week you can check

(+-BB) I think is their relationship to you? It seems to change partly based on mission that you do (e.g. attacking some Corpo base will make it into the negative)

Üstad

Arcane
I just keep dying. Once it was by one shot by a hidden enemy another time I had 40 hp no infection from good distance, that circular saw thing just rekts me out of nowhere. The idea of the game is solid but grindy battles, being barely understanding the situation during the battle.. it's not fun experience. I can't even finish a defence mission, all the sudden my character gets molested and I get the hear the evil laughter again.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Interesting to see the extraction DNA removed from online shooters and placed in such a totally different context.

Is the lack of a strong positive response on Steam just a result of it being unfinished, or are there more core design issues?

Üstad

Arcane
Interesting to see the extraction DNA removed from online shooters and placed in such a totally different context.

Is the lack of a strong positive response on Steam just a result of it being unfinished, or are there more core design issues?
Core design seems fine, it's just the game needs lots of tweaking on balance and QoL features like showing hit chance from distance etc. The game is currently at beta phase and at current stage I suggest playing something else unless you're a masochist.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I just keep dying. Once it was by one shot by a hidden enemy another time I had 40 hp no infection from good distance, that circular saw thing just rekts me out of nowhere. The idea of the game is solid but grindy battles, being barely understanding the situation during the battle.. it's not fun experience. I can't even finish a defence mission, all the sudden my character gets molested and I get the hear the evil laughter again.
I'm still getting one-shot at 90 HP and using the red inferno armor (heat resist) by.... fire weapons. The balance is hyper whack. Circular saw is one of the best weapons in the game once you figure out how its bounces work, even compared to good assault rifles and lasers.

It was dipping under 65% for a while. The game is borderline unplayable as Üstad said. There are numerous design issues that make it really frustrating, and a lot of it is unfair.

But the turn-based tactical room-clearing is addictive and so is the basic extraction loop. The main problem is that once you get to the 4+ floor missions, where it takes you upward of an hour to clear, that it just becomes a real slog.

100% of the time there's so many bodies on the floor that every tile is filled and I don't know which one is looted and which one isn't.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Once it was by one shot by a hidden enemy another time I had 40 hp no infection from good distance, that circular saw thing just rekts me out of nowhere.

Yeah Cut is currently one of the stronger damage. The other one is Fire. Almost nothing in the game has good enough resistance to both. Not sure about Poison as the only enemies i found are some acid pistol that tickles you.

I just keep dying.

You also need to play around with the AP and Vision. The 3 movement types all has their own use, especially running where you get 3 actions. Try playing the guy with 5 Res, Hades Class, and learning melee. It goes a long way to understand the core action economy and AI behaviour (which applies when you play ranged).
The main problem is that once you get to the 4+ floor missions, where it takes you upward of an hour to clear, that it just becomes a real slog.

Honestly I don't think most of the time that you should try to clear floor. After a while and getting a bit of Battery, always bring like 10 per mission and always on the lookout to craft more by Glass/Acid. The Radar Computer thing that reveals the map is a godsent. Most of 4+ floor mission is just you beelining to objective (unless its a Conquest mission ofc)

buffalo bill

Arcane
the game is not in early access right? does anyone one know how much the developer plans to make changes to the game?

It would be great to get them on this thread to answer questions, especially since this seems this game is well suited for the codex taste (the segment of the codex that has taste, anyway)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom