Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PVP against random people sucks

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Collecting hatemail from your emasculated opponents is peak gaming experience.

V17

Educated
Raging just for losing seems kind of dumb and pointless. Losing is not fun, but if the overall game is good it's not a big deal. I didn't much care about losing in Team Fortress 2 for example because the overall atmosphere was always fun, the people were usually not morons and when the loss is spread out over the whole team (and it's not a team of idiots) it doesn't feel as bad.

Counter Strike ranked was worse because the low ranks are full of absolute fucking retards, not in the way they play but in the way they communicate. I wanted to like the game but never learned it because spending the time to get good enough to push through several layers of idiots (a dumbfuck sandwich, if you will) just wasn't worth it. I never played MOBAs or kid-majority console shooters, so this was the worst community I ever experienced.

On the other hand when I was playing Killing Floor (the original), which is PvE coop, I don't think I met a single shit talker and on the highest difficulties 90% of the people were actually good. A ton of fun, that game.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
The best times I have had in multiplayer games come through playing with regulars and developing tactics which go against their strengths. Modern multiplayer games do not facilitate these interactions as the matchmaking services that serves as their foundation does not allow for communities to form. Sports, wargames, and other competitive hobbies do not run into this problem so why should video games?

Faarbaute

Arbiter
The problem is the modern curated PvP lobby experience where algorithms work under the hood to guide you toward a win ratio of no more than 50% and a standardized gaming experience across the board.

It's frustrating because it's meticulously designed to give you just the right amount of resistance, all the time, at all proficiency levels. Resulting in a feeling that you suck, because you never seem to improve. The only way to escape this problem is to GIT GUD even harder, and to emerge victorious at the top. Even then, it is almost impossible to do so consistently because there are safeguards in place to prevent some % of people from dominating the rest consistently like the introduction of more and more random factors that decide the outcome of games. A perfect example of this is the shrinking random zone in Battle Royale games.

It's social engineering applied to games, to maximize the engagement and subsequent profitability of their audience.

Edit: A more charitable way to put it, is that it's a system designed to ensure all the participants a fair experience where they get to compete against players of the same caliber. But that would be quite disingenuous, IMO, as it is all about maintaining that controlled experience, and not really about fairness or anything like that.

Last edited:

Norfleet

I don't mind fighting AGAINST random people. What I HATE are random TEAMMATES. If I fight against a random person alone or with a team of my choice, whether I win or lose, that's on me, based on the decisions and actions I took. If I am just carried to a win by some super-player or worse, dragged down by some ineptitude window-licker, the entire thing becomes unsatisfying.

"Just play for fun ecksdee" is about as cope a take as I can possibly imagine for people who are even a little bit competitive, but in my old age the only remedy I've found for this very real conundrum is just to stop playing competitive mp games altogether.

I just had to suck it up, realize I'll never be good enough to compete, especially after 40, and just go do some old people stuff like walking in the sun, catching up on countless classic books, the odd single player game from 20+ years ago I might have missed, or enjoying good meals. It's a tragedy.

Being free of the self-defeating hamster wheel is agony, I tell you

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
One could observe/conclude/assume that when a game is fresh/new, the general player base, is competent/good. Playing with them as random people in these periods "does not suck". At least relativly, when comparing the game periods from new to old.
Yet after awhile its overall performance degenerates/lessens as if increase of popularity/players waters it down, diluting it.

It is even reflected in the quality of posts, in before and after example in DOTA 2 Reddit.

One possible explanation among others, is due the involvement of the Neocortex. As a upper, more advance area of the brain that engages/activates/stimulates with new task/challenges/thinking. Contrast to the lower/other parts which involve animal like behavior/instinct/response.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Low caliber players should take pride in their dignified role as pleasure dispensers for their betters.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
PVP in Vanguard was great. I loved being griefed by a high level asshole outside of the noob town for my faction. 30 of us banded together and killed him.

Codex Year of the Donut
I find that the more one grows old,the less point is there in raging or getting frustrated about not winning at vidya. The rage becomes pointless,but playing games just for fun or a sense of accomplishment(like in the old days,when players discovered secrets or new "tricks" and shared them with others) is more fulfilling. Rage ain't healthy,especially nowadays,or in the "current year",as it goes. Guard your health,bros. Play vidya for the fun.
get your T checked, old man

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
"Just play for fun ecksdee" is about as cope a take as I can possibly imagine for people who are even a little bit competitive, but in my old age the only remedy I've found for this very real conundrum is just to stop playing competitive mp games altogether.

I just had to suck it up, realize I'll never be good enough to compete, especially after 40, and just go do some old people stuff like walking in the sun, catching up on countless classic books, the odd single player game from 20+ years ago I might have missed, or enjoying good meals. It's a tragedy.

Being free of the self-defeating hamster wheel is agony, I tell you
I hear you man. I have jumped an UT2004 Deathmatch dedicated server a few weeks ago; I punched my keyboard. Now I am playing Wizards & Warriors peacefully. Your "Wizards & Warriors running (near) perfectly on modern OSs" thread helped me to run it without headaches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom