Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Psychonauts 2

Ivan

Arcane

Scott C. always looks high as fuck.
11:56 :bro:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
More notable that investment money has overtaken reward money. Very optimistic folks out there.
It makes sense. If you were already to back the game with at least 500 dollars, you should back it as an investor. You still get the perks of being a backer and you will get some dollars back after release through profit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
More notable that investment money has overtaken reward money. Very optimistic folks out there.
It makes sense. If you were already to back the game with at least 500 dollars, you should back it as an investor. You still get the perks of being a backer and you will get some dollars back after release through profit.

Investors don't get pledge rewards, otherwise all the >$500 tiers would have been oversubscribed.
Really? Wow, that is stupid.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Well, fig rewards include shipping and cost of reward production, not to mention it is usually only accredited investors who can purchase shares with this being a special occasion.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Making of Psychonauts Pt. 2

now with Anna Kipnis in stalkings

Just like with Broken Age, these documentaries alone worth the price of admission.

Also, the last minute is funny, when you realize how idiotic the focus testing of the games are, done by big companies like Microsoft.

:what:

Holy shit, J_C.

What? These films were so interesting they easily worth a few dollars for me.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
What? These films were so interesting they easily worth a few dollars for me.

:brodex:

The documentary was so good I honestly stopped giving a shit whether the game will finally come or not. I gave them 15$ or something, so who cares. I've payed quadruple that for shitty games before.

I totally get that people who backed at higher tiers would disagree, though.

Obviousplant

Educated
Why does Psychonauts 2 take less money than Broken Age?
Because math, project management and budget estimation aren't Schafer's strong points.

Any one who donated to Broken Age:
28098014.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
WHY IS PSYCHONAUTS 2 ALL IN CAPS!!!! YELLING IMPORTANT THREAD!!!!

edit
nevermindt he op is shift iapmaired

ALOT11.png

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Next step on fanboy logic:

I paid for a documentary but the emotional engagement I got from the kickstarter campaign was so good that I didn't care it was released, I didn't pay much anyway.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
"B-b-b-but the documentary is so cool guize!" I just don't get these people. Let's say I buy a dvd. The film is kinda disappointing. Does it make me feel better if the outtakes are hilarious or the commentary track is really insightful and interesting? No. It was still a waste of money. And this is coming from someone who really enjoys those extra materials on dvds/blurays.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
"B-b-b-but the documentary is so cool guize!" I just don't get these people. Let's say I buy a dvd. The film is kinda disappointing. Does it make me feel better if the outtakes are hilarious or the commentary track is really insightful and interesting? No. It was still a waste of money. And this is coming from someone who really enjoys those extra materials on dvds/blurays.
Wrong comparison, the documentary is not a simple commentary track. More like, you buy a DVD, and the film is kinda meh, but you get 15 hours of great behind the scenes stuff about filming, actors, film design. And yeah, that might worth it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Next step on fanboy logic:

I paid for a documentary but the emotional engagement I got from the kickstarter campaign was so good that I didn't care it was released, I didn't pay much anyway.

Next step in concern troll logic: if unable to explain why real life scenario was bad, make up imaginary scenarios.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't be silly. If you enjoy something and get value out of it, it is valuable. Being mad that you found value where you didn't expect to is stupid, and doesn't somehow make it worthless. Value = value. If you can't enjoy something because you didn't enjoy something else, that's not the thing being bad, that's you indulging a hangup.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't be silly.
Don't be silly... stop defending Derple Fine.

Gambler

Augur
Since the documentary is the most important part of the whole project, I'm not giving these guys any money until there is a second documentary about making of the first documentary.

Of course, this would require some extra cash, and the project already seems to be struggling with funding.

Wait, I have a solution! Ditch the game. No one seems to care about it all that much anyway. Instead they could make documentary A about making documentary B, which will be about making documentary A. The project as a whole will be called The Tim Schafer's Recursive Reality Show.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have no idea why with all of the crooks that are at large in the world people decide that doing business with Tim Shafer is where it is time to draw a line in the sand.

Destroid

Arcane
It says quite clearly on the front page of the campaign:

You will only be charged if this campaign reaches its goal on Jan 13, 2016 8am

Not a lot of wiggle room in that statement.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have no idea why with all of the crooks that are at large in the world people decide that doing business with Tim Shafer is where it is time to draw a line in the sand.

Precisely. Same reason why I called out a few shitheads earlier in this thread that stated they'd be OK with terrorist attacks conducted against him. He's just a guy running a video game studio. I don't mind if people have beef against him, but people are going too far here and showing that they're no better than the aGG crowd.

DeepOcean

Arcane
To be fair, Tim had the most visibility of all the kickstarters being his the first one that successful, with all the failures and almost failures the kickstarter model produced, people started getting frustrated with crowdfunding. Tim's kickstarter being the most visible that had problems and with the SpaceBase disaster on Early Access, it meant he got shit from both people frustrated with kickstarter and Early Access games that are never finished. He isn't the first one to screw up and won't be the last one but his reputation as a game designer legend make screw ups even more painful, if Michael Bay makes another Transformers movie, you know it will be shit, but when Ridley Scott makes a Prometheus... that generates more anger. The bigger your reputation is, the more people will demand from you.

Gambler

Augur
Nobody said that, but please continue to act like a true Codexian idiot.
This has nothing to do with the Codex. Any suggestion that a documentary about making a game should figure into decision for funding that game is absurd and should be rightfully ridiculed. You're unwittingly advocating the mentality that gave us reality TV and celeb gossip shows. I would be far more willing to accept people explicitly paying Schafer for some sort of visual memoir about what he did in his part projects. It would save everyone several million dollars that could go towards funding something useful or interesting.

(Needless to say, I never was a big fan of Psychonauts. Come to think of it, the game had the same fundamental issues as Broken Age. Deliberately ugly visual style, shallow gameplay, core storyline premised on a pile of absurdities. Both are hipster to the bone.)

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Nobody said that, but please continue to act like a true Codexian idiot.
This has nothing to do with the Codex. Any suggestion that a documentary about making a game should figure into decision for funding that game is absurd and should be rightfully ridiculed. You're unwittingly advocating the mentality that gave us reality TV and celeb gossip shows. I would be far more willing to accept people explicitly paying Schafer for some sort of visual memoir about what he did in his part projects. It would save everyone several million dollars that could go towards funding something useful or interesting.
What are you talking about? I never said that the documentary should be the reason for funding the game. When this all started, everyone thought that we will get some short, amateur videos as the documentary, which would had been OK as a little extra. Instead we got dozens of great, professional videos, which for some people worth the money spent alone. That's all, don't try to twist it any other way.

Also, 2,5 millions past. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom