Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PSX games worth playing

anus_pounder

Arcane
Done with Suikoden I and II. Like them, especially the 2nd game. Currently thinking about trying Persona 2 and Saga Frontier1 (2 is worse, I hear ?).

Any other games ? I would prefer Strategy and RPGs, but I suppose any game works, really.

Peter

Arcane
Haven't played the games myself, but the King's Field series is supposedly good stuff. Something of a spiritual predecessor to Demon's/Dark Souls ad far as I can tell.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Valkyrie Profile- visuals and music alone is worth it. Gameplay is fun too. Play on Hard mode to begin with. Make an extra save right after chapter 1 in case you want to replay for different ending/trying different characters. It's boring to repeat the tutorial part.

Brigandine- Such a cool fucking strategy game. Should do a LP of it on the dex at some point. Knights and mages murdering eachother with their uber pokeymans, and tons and tons of storyfaggottry and cool things to discover. Game probably has more dialogue than any game released on the PC in the past 5 years. Difficulty feels trivial to me now after playing it so much, but I recall having trouble when I first started, even on lower difficulty settings.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Final Fantasy Tactics. It's strategy and an RPG!

Front Mission 3. Turn-based, tactical combat with customizable giant robots. It's also very long, so you get a lot of bang for your buck (I must admit, though, I got kind of bored with it about 3/4 of the way through).

Silent Hill. One of the best horror titles ever released. A must have if you're into that genre.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Zelda-esque action-RPG where you get to play a vampire--and not a very nice one, at that. I just ordered a copy of this for $4 (including shipping!). Haven't played it in at least 10 years, so I'm looking forward to it.

I played Saga Frontier back in the day, and I don't remember being too impressed by it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Breath of Fire 4 has some beautiful animations, if you are into that sort of thing.

anus_pounder

Arcane
:salute: Thank you guys. Gonna check out Brigandine and Kain. FFT is definitely on the list, but I'm sort of burned out after playing both the GBA and DS versions just last week.

lightbane

Arcane
Peter said:
Haven't played the games myself, but the King's Field series is supposedly good stuff. Something of a spiritual predecessor to Demon's/Dark Souls ad far as I can tell.

They are (more or less, they share themes and some characters). Shadow Tower is a must (although it shows its age, it's one of the few games so hardcore, that you can be killed barely 4 seconds after starting the game). Then you have Kouldelka, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Ghost in the Shell, Alundra, Arc the Lad 1 and 2, Vagrant Story, Granstream Saga, Tail Concerto (be careful with that one), and lastly but not least, Castlevaina: Symphony of the Nigger Night.

Damned Registrations

If you're playing Brigandine, don't start as either New Almekia or Caerleon. They're easymode. (Unless you backstab your ally, which can be fun.)

Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Street fighter Alpha 3

Star Ocean 2

Resident Evil 2

Megaman 8 (this should convince you)

Metal Gear Solid

Harvest Moon Back to Nature

Legacy of Kain was shittier on the PSX (can't recall why, I think it was the controls), but I suppose it could be problematic to play the PC version nowadays...

Anus_Pounder said:
Currently thinking about trying Persona 2

Try the first Persona eventually. The translation is a wonder to behold.

6GJD8.jpg
BwMc3.jpg

And, of course...

Damned Registrations

Will second Star Ocean 2 and SotN. Star Ocean is another story/exploration heavy jrpg, very cool. Random encounters, but they can be toned down a lot using a few methods, and aren't very tedious usually. Some of them are retarded though (fucking witches.)

Renegen

Arcane
Yeah Star Ocean 2 is pretty cool, love it. It's a jRPG and has boring parts but has really awesome item creation and a lot of bonus stuff to do. You can even assemble a voice collection puzzle by making your characters deliver all their voices. There's also C&C for what party members to have and 3 difficulties.

Valkyrie Profile, not really a jRPG, really good. Play on hard.

Policenauts, Kojima's moody adventure game about police... in space.

I'll also add Koudelka, a mix between Parasite Eve, Resident Evil and a jRPG.

Parasite Eve 1 & 2 also.

Apollion

Scholar
Saga Frotnier II has always been one of my favorites, never understood the hate, both are unique titles with long lists of pros and cons.

Here's a fairly long list of games I'd recommend, PS1 was a big hit with me "back in the day".

Alunda (zelda like game, pretty difficult)
Azure Dreams (fun roguelike-esque game)
Brave Fencer Musashi
Breath of Fire III & IV (personal favorites)
Brigandine (SRPG)
Grandia (simplistic but endearing)
Jade Cocoon
King's Field series (including Shadow Tower)
Legend of Mana (deviously complex, don't let the cutesy graphics turn you away)
Medieval I & 2
Megaman Legends 1 & 2
Monster Rancher 2 (I've sunk more time into this game than I care to admit)
Parasite Eve 1 & 2 (first is a altoghether decent jrpg, second is like resident evil with rpg elements, scary as shit at times too)
Persona 2 (you can now play both "episodes" of this game, both are good)
Sheep Raider (like metal gear solid, only you play as Wile E. Coyote)
Soul Reaver
Spyro series
Star Ocean 2
Tales of Destiny & Phantasia (the tales series is hit or miss as a whole)
Tenchu games
Tomba games
Vandal Hearts games (srpg, they kind of suck, no reason not to check them out through emulation though)
Vanguard Bandits (same as above)
Wild Arms games
Valkyrie Profile (damn good game)
Vagrant Story (a must play title)
Xenogears (fuck can't believe I almost forgot this game, best jrpg ever made imo)

Edit: Didn't mention FFT or Tactics Ogre because both games have superior remakes on the PSP, still worth emulating if you don't own a PSP, I enjoy Tactics Ogre more myself. Final Fantasy series is obligatory and overated, FFIX is probobly the best on the PS1. Koudelka kind of sucks, but the Shadow Hearts games on the PS2, which are sort of sequals, do not.

WalmartJesus

Learned
Alundra
Silent Hill
King's Field games
Shadowtower
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy Tactics
Parasite Eve 1&2
Castlevannia Chronicles
Castlevania:SoTN
XenoGears
Metal Gear Solid
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy 9
Blood Omen
Soul Reaver
Intelligent Qube
R-Type
Breath of Fire 4
Resident Evil 1-3
Rayman

Damned Registrations

I'll vouch for Azure Dreams and Megaman Legends as well.

first is rather unique: Cross roguelike with pokemon, then throw in town building + dating sims. The dungeon gameplay and finding new monsters was so fun though, I'd kill for a proper sequel to this. If I ever learn how to code, I'd probably try make a Azure Dreams roguelike ASAP.

Megaman Legends is just fun exploration game. Blow shit up, find giant lazor cannon parts in trash cans and blow up cracked walls to reveal scads of loot. Another game I'm dying for a good sequel to, not just for the gameplay, but the atmosphere in the dungeons they really nailed. Everything feels ancient and forgotten. Though now the graphics feel ancient too. Rest of the world is pretty derpy atmosphere though.

Apollion

Scholar
DamnedRegistrations said:
I'll vouch for Azure Dreams and Megaman Legends as well.

first is rather unique: Cross roguelike with pokemon, then throw in town building + dating sims. The dungeon gameplay and finding new monsters was so fun though, I'd kill for a proper sequel to this. If I ever learn how to code, I'd probably try make a Azure Dreams roguelike ASAP.

Megaman Legends is just fun exploration game. Blow shit up, find giant lazor cannon parts in trash cans and blow up cracked walls to reveal scads of loot. Another game I'm dying for a good sequel to, not just for the gameplay, but the atmosphere in the dungeons they really nailed. Everything feels ancient and forgotten. Though now the graphics feel ancient too. Rest of the world is pretty derpy atmosphere though.

I'd play that DR, one of the greatest things about Azure Dreams was as you said the variety of features it included, it may not have particularly excelled at anything, but it was greater in the end for including them.

They were actually making a Megaman Legends 3, and cancelled it unfortunately. I enjoyed those games quite a lot when I was younger, a lot more than the 2d megamans actually.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2011/1878.html

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
lightbane said:
Shadow Tower is a must (although it shows its age, it's one of the few games so hardcore, that you can be killed barely 4 seconds after starting the game).

It doesn't show its age at all.
:rpgcodex:

In fact, I'd start with Shadow Tower, not King's Field, but both are pretty good, so it's up to you.

That said, there's also Threads of Fate. :P

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Final Fantasy 8

Symphony of the Night is seconded, of course.

Einhänder is a cool shoot 'em up.

As for me, I'm definitely looking up King's Field after enjoying the hell out of Dark Souls.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
Tomba! 1&2
The first one is the best platformer/adventure game I've ever played. It has some really fun puzzles, great atmosphere and lots of cool items to get. True VIP quality for real pros. The second one doesn't really feel as "tight" and leans more on the actiony platforming instead of cool exploration and puzzles, but it's still a pretty damn good game.

Mega Man Legends 1&2
As stated above. Unique atmosphere and a pretty good plot for a megaman game.

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Another game in the Mega Man Legends universe so 5/5 and a gold star because I'd spank it to Tron.

But yeah none of these are RPGs. Sorry.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
I'd almost forgotten about "Tomba!". I've only played a little of it, but that's a cool game, indeed. :) I'll give that another go someday.

lightbane

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
lightbane said:
Shadow Tower is a must (although it shows its age, it's one of the few games so hardcore, that you can be killed barely 4 seconds after starting the game).

No it's not, I'm very butthurt about your statement.

Just as expected :M But sis, consider that: No bloom, no emotionally engaging cutscenes, no QTE, no awesome buttons... The game reeks of that thing of the past called "gameplay" :troll:

Jokes aside, I recommend Deathtrap Dungeon, which could be considered an early Dark Souls prototype.

Teepo

Scholar
Breath of Fire 3. Pretty much the number one RPG on PSX. I know that doesn't say much but it's BoF at least doesn't try to copy ff7's elite graphics.

I haven't tried Persona games though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom