Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PsT - Getting my eye back

hicksman

Liturgist
So I'm playing Planescape Torment and I went to the Smoldering Corpse and bought my eye back. When I pop it back in, I die and nothing is ever mentioned of my eye again. I didn't get any XP for it, there was no explanation about what it did, so as far as I can see, it doesn't look like it did anything.

Surely i don't just drop 300 gold to role play that I have 2 eyes now...

So i consulted a walkthrough to confirm and it shows that I get some XP and an extra proficiency slot. I double checked, I don't get any XP from this - even if i go back to the bar after dying and talk to the bartender again.

Anyone have any idea whats up? I'm using the 4cd version patched to 1.1.

Oh just in case it matters, because PST seems to be that way, here are my stats:
STR 16, INT 10, WIS 16, DEX 13, CON 12, CHA 9

Angthoron

Arcane
I recall that the eye is meant to give you a bunch of memories back, and a bit of XP with it. However, it may require certain stats to actually happen, that, or it's a bug.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
As I remember popping your eye back in brought back a memory.

It may be a stat check or, perhaps your hitpoints are too low.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Umm, yeah, you already have two eyes, if you actually read what it is said in the game you'd have known you remove one of your eyes to stick in the one you bought.
And you die because you don't have enough Hit Points (16) for this process, I'm sure the walkthrough mentioned this (reading comprehension failure #2) or it was a crappy walkthrough.

Pastel

Scholar
I suppose you need to survive the process to gain the memory and XP.
Which stands to reason, anyway.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I believe it's constitution-based, perhaps you need 13+ of it, but I'm not sure.

hicksman

Liturgist
I healed up and tried again and it worked.

I'm going to call shenanigans on this one tho. It doesnt say you take a 16 damage, you just die. You still lose the money, but the eye isnt in your inventory, and the bartender doesnt say anything about it either. That could have been handled a bit better.

Anyway, thanks all for the help.

scient

Augur
In DBARKIS (bar keep):

1. Tear out your eyeball and place this one in the socket.
condition: HPLT (Protagonist, 16)
action: Damage (Protagonist, LOWER, 15)

2. You dig in your eye socket. The pain is intense, incredible, and you are suddenly overwhelmed by it. You fall to the ground, bleeding from your freshly opened socket. You have died.

3. Done.
action: Kill (Protagonist)

So it basically checks if you have less than 16 hp and if you fail check you die (which makes sense).

Tagaziel

Scholar
hicksman said:
I healed up and tried again and it worked.

I'm going to call shenanigans on this one tho. It doesnt say you take a 16 damage, you just die. You still lose the money, but the eye isnt in your inventory, and the bartender doesnt say anything about it either. That could have been handled a bit better.

Anyway, thanks all for the help.

Ugh, the Nameless One isn't a cyclops - he replaces the other, non-removeable eye.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Skyway.

That is brilliant.

I think the most emo moment in Torment was "Cry of joy...of despair...of sadness...of relief" after that sensory stone memory.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

hicksman

Liturgist
Mikael - that comment said nothing about being a cyclops. I was corrected several posts ago.

Definitely remember to tell your shrink this week that someone said they didn't like one little thing about PST. You'll just have to cry it out.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
skyway said:
Simply outstanding.
I now know which my favorite blog is.
from skytardslink said:
In the pic above, the numbered lines are my possible responses to whatever that loser was yammering on about. You have to read all that bullshit just to figure out what you're going to say, which in an excellent game like Oblivion is scarcely a problem.

please go to a corner and die.

hicksman

Liturgist
My reading comprehension has been knocked before, but I do believe this is a joke. Take a look at his Halo 3: Fallout 3 review.

larpingdude16

Scholar
epicfail.png

Balor

Arcane
Yea, it's obvious parody, yet pretty convincing one at that.
One thing he fails at - if he would indeed be such a macho moron if he pretends to be, he'd definetely not gone as far - at least as far as getting Vhailor.

Qwinn

Scholar
I know it's a parody, but some of the criticisms almost hurt, heh, like the one about how PS:T is "emo". I actually saw it as the opposite. For example, your encounter with Awaiting-Death in the Dustman Bar struck me as an excellent opportunity to enjoy slapping an Emo kid around. It's not like the Dustmen are held up as something to aspire to... pretty much everyone else laughs at them. The Sensates and the Godsmen are about as anti-emo as you can get.

Qwinn

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom