Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I kinda wonder how much the PS4 is going to fuck the developer in the ass. XboX360 charged like 30k for deploying patches, the certification process was famously dumb and expensive, and presumably not much is going to change on that front. But from what Sony have said thus far, it seemed like they've internalized Steam's lesson at least a bit. So I wonder how far they're going to go with that. Could turn out to be more of a competitive advantage than the price and hardware, if they're significantly more developer-friendly.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I kinda wonder how much the PS4 is going to fuck the developer in the ass. XboX360 charged like 30k for deploying patches, the certification process was famously dumb and expensive, and presumably not much is going to change on that front. But from what Sony have said thus far, it seemed like they've internalized Steam's lesson at least a bit. So I wonder how far they're going to go with that. Could turn out to be more of a competitive advantage than the price and hardware, if they're significantly more developer-friendly.

Sony may still continue to be just as bad and their recent knife-stabbing was likely just to make themselves look good.

Sony might become more decent but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Jashiin

Arcane
http://www.shacknews.com/article/79851/skulls-of-the-shogun-dev-says-microsoft-exclusivity-hurt

"They came across as though they were institutionally incompetent," Pfeifer said. "I think they're not really set up to be a decent publisher. I do feel slightly bad saying that, because there were people there who worked hard on our behalf, but at the same time there are systemic problems with the way that division is setup and run."

Nice to know MS still likes to fuck indies in the ass.

Perhaps, but they were more than happy to have worldwide coverage for their shitty game for being the first windows 8 "exclusive".

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79851/skulls-of-the-shogun-dev-says-microsoft-exclusivity-hurt

"They came across as though they were institutionally incompetent," Pfeifer said. "I think they're not really set up to be a decent publisher. I do feel slightly bad saying that, because there were people there who worked hard on our behalf, but at the same time there are systemic problems with the way that division is setup and run."

Nice to know MS still likes to fuck indies in the ass.

But they aren't evil. They just run around with their erect dick out and accidentally hit someone from behind from time to time.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
cloudf0lu7.png

So, we get turn based games again? Wasnt that a limitation of technology?! Im confused, where are my Dewritos

No. Imagine a brave new world where all gameplay is QTEs interspersed by scripted cutscenes.

Though I suppose QTEs are turn based gameplay in a manner of speaking :troll:

toroid

Arcane
Prediction: It turns out that all of this "cloud" hype is for little more than standard server infrastructure for console MMOs.

abija

Prophet
Prediction: It turns out that all of this "cloud" hype is for little more than standard server infrastructure for console MMOs.

That would be a lot more impressive than what they've shown so far.

Angthoron

Arcane
So I heard that some poor fucks in this thread were looking forward to an EA game. Well, here's what you're looking forward to! Enjoy. Mirror's Edge 2:

Obviously you're not talking about details yet, but from what you have said it sounds like you're going to make big changes to the original formula?

Listen, if you do the same thing again then it's not going to work. You have to be very, very honest with yourself and look at what went right and what went wrong. It's obvious that people loved the art direction, loved Faith and loved the idea of what you did in the game.

I think we missed completely on the game being too difficult, people keep falling down and the notion of constantly running away wasn't maybe greatly perceived. On top of that there were a bunch of other problems with it, but again we look at what's great with it, we do more of that and we fix the things that were broken.

And frankly on top of that, even more so we add new things to it. The innovation... I can't talk about. I wish I could! Because I'm excited about it. The ID and vision for the game, coupled with the timing is what made it make sense. That's why we are making it.

Frank Gibeau said this morning that Mirror's Edge 2 will be an open-world game...

Who knows? It may or may not. We're not talking about that. He did, obviously!

What I can say is we're taking more of an action adventure approach on it than maybe before. First-person, running predominantly... This will be more of an action adventure game, but true to what the first one was to a large extent.

I find myself going back, playing games that in my mind were so good ten years ago and I'm like, 'holy crap, was it really this?' Because gaming is continuously evolving and when I go back and play Mirror's Edge today, it feels old compared to what's out there today, in design approach and everything. There are still some fresh things in the way that it looks and feels - it still looks really good, actually. But it still feels a little bit old school on its game design and compulsion loops.

So we have to bring that forward and change that format. I think the story is another part that could've been a lot better. We didn't deliver upon the fantastic world that we created and the story is a big part in a world like that.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416002/interviews/interview-eas-patrick-sderlund/

So yeah, you heard it first here from EA - Mirror's Edge is an oldschool game, and oh by the way, rehashing IPs totally doesn't work, you have to change the formula every time, like what EA does with NHL, NFL, FIFA, NFS and Battlefield series.

ME2: Polygonal Emoushuhnz, Engayging Storyh, QTE and Origin. Enjoy, guys.

Gord

Arcane
So Mirrors Edge 2 will be yet another cinematic shooter, maybe with a bit of jumping, but minus the falling down?

Fuck, it was one of the few games that did something new in the last years... :(

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He is right about the story part, and I don't mean emotional engagement style one. Difficulty was ok, as soon as you hit the ground or die you are almost at the same moment of the game, so it's not really a problem. The oldschool part is funny. As for the rest of this statement - typical EA speak.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the story sucked. Also making it open world could be really cool.

The problem is they seem set on taking away the running away stuff and falling stuff, which were core to the game. I'm amazed when I read random assholes talking about the game saying they never knew where to go, hated running away, etc. That's what made the game unique.

Anyway whatever, see how it comes out.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-memory-better-in-production-hardware

Well-placed development sources have told Digital Foundry that the ESRAM embedded memory within the Xbox One processor is considerably more capable than Microsoft envisaged during pre-production of the console, with data throughput levels up to 88 per cent higher in the final hardware.

Bandwidth is at a premium in the Xbox One owing to the slower DDR3 memory employed in the console, which does not compare favourably to the 8GB unified pool of GDDR5 in the PlayStation 4. The 32MB of "embedded static RAM" within the Xbox One processor aims to make up the difference, and was previously thought to sustain a peak theoretical throughput of 102GB/s - useful, but still some way behind the 176GB/s found in PlayStation 4's RAM set-up. Now that close-to-final silicon is available, Microsoft has revised its own figures upwards significantly, telling developers that 192GB/s is now theoretically possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom