Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PS3 emulators?

Quilty

Magister
There are games that don't come out for the PC that I'd like to play, mainly games like NHL 2013 and similar sport games, so I was wondering if the 'Dex bros know of any good PS3 emulators that can run PS3 games reliably.

Gerrard

Arcane
PS3's architecture is such a clusterfuck that I doubt anyone will ever bother making an emulator for it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wait for the 200 cores computers (and the right programming language that doesn't exist, no C is definitively not a option)

Bahamut

Arcane
I really doubt we will see any emualtors of recent systems any time soon (if ever)

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Considering that the emulation scene pretty much has given up on trying to breaking new grounds and rather build NESEMULATOR 167.10 you will not see it soon. For fuck sake, Saturn and Dreamcast emulation has stopped evolving years ago, and nobody has gotten the original Xbox working emulated besides for one or two games.

Lightknight

Liturgist
PS2 emulator can only be completed recently.
"Completed". They simply renamed it "version 1.0", its nowhere near complete and is still pretty bad. They just "felt" like it was feature complete.

Actually, i personally dont care for PS3 emulation. What i'd like to see is 3DS and PSP emulation breakthroughs. Really cant be bothered to play games on portable consoles with their shitty tiny screens and constant whining for more battery power.

The emulation of original DS has finally reached "near perfect" level this year. Good stuff on it, lots of good stuff.

dumuh

Educated
PS3 emulators won't be out til circa 2025.

NO. Even PS2 emulator can only be completed recently. God know when PS3 emu will appear.
That's has more to do with the PS2 just being a very complex console than it being powerful.

Considering that the emulation scene pretty much has given up on trying to breaking new grounds and rather build NESEMULATOR 167.10 you will not see it soon. For fuck sake, Saturn and Dreamcast emulation has stopped evolving years ago, and nobody has gotten the original Xbox working emulated besides for one or two games.
Why emulate your native architect?

Karmapowered

Augur
Considering that the emulation scene pretty much has given up on trying to breaking new grounds and rather build NESEMULATOR 167.10 you will not see it soon.

Keep your smug to yourself. I know t'is the Kodex and all, where it's cool to besmirch someone else's work, but I doubt you'd be able to achieve in a lifetime what some of these guys pull off in a month, just so people like you can grow even fatter playing console games on their computer.

The PS3 will be emulated, like any other console has been emulated in the past. Clueless naysayers won't change that fact. It is a matter of time, but even more so of CPU. As of today, I'm confident that no one here has the horse power needed to emulate a PS3 game, and keep it fluid enough to be played anyway.

For fuck sake, Saturn and Dreamcast emulation has stopped evolving years ago, and nobody has gotten the original Xbox working emulated besides for one or two games.

Eh ?

The XBox hasn't been emulated reliably because of the lack of interest decent games to emulate. Maybe did you miss that any of the dreck released on the Xbox has an equivalent that is largely superior on other supports ? Why bother emulating that which is sh*t ?

Karmapowered

Augur
PS2 emulator can only be completed recently.
"Completed". They simply renamed it "version 1.0", its nowhere near complete and is still pretty bad. They just "felt" like it was feature complete.

Which game are you having troubles with ? Except some temporary sluggishness on some games, I have been very satisfied with pcsx2. I wouldn't mind calling 1.0 the final version.

Really cant be bothered to play games on portable consoles with their shitty tiny screens and constant whining for more battery power.

There is always "Remote Joy Lite" for the PSP, if you haven't heard of it. You should be able to google it easily for your firmware.

Otherwise, I agree about the DS : just about top notch.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Which game are you having troubles with ? Except some temporary sluggishness on some games, I have been very satisfied with pcsx2.
Apparently you dont play a wide enough selection of games. Especially games that are still Japan only. Very few people test those when declaring that emulator is great just because they can play some crappy Mortal Kombat of NFL or whatever. Loads and loads of games require very specific settings to advance through some parts, and different settings to advance through other parts. Some games even require special patches to even be playable.

Karmapowered

Augur
Which game are you having troubles with ? Except some temporary sluggishness on some games, I have been very satisfied with pcsx2.
Apparently you dont play a wide enough selection of games. Especially games that are still Japan only. Very few people test those when declaring that emulator is great just because they can play some crappy Mortal Kombat of NFL or whatever.

True enough, I haven't played all of the 367 games that appear as potentially conflicting on the wiki (out of the 2300+ titles) before posting my expert analysis above. Clearly it was a bad move, shame on me.

The games that had me interested at the time that I wanted to play them (Front Mission 4&5, Persona FES&4, Disgaea, La Pucelle, Shadow Hearts 2, Oni, Bully, Suikoden, Sakura Wars, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile 2, etc.), barring some minor hiccups or glitches (which might very well originate from my GPU), all did work however, without any settings to alter, or patches to apply (well, except Front Mission 5, which needed a translation patch, obviously).

In such a context, what'd there be to whine about ?

Truth to be told, nothing, which is why I colored myself as satisfied.

So let me ask again : which are the games that you can't play with the emulator, and seem to contribute to your negative perception of it ?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was looking either for a PS3 emu or an Xbox360 one recently, because I wanted to play Brutal Legend. There is none to be found anywhere (except some fake ones) and there won't be anytime soon. Damn You, Tim Schafer, why no PC love?

Lottie

Educated
The PS3 will be emulated, like any other console has been emulated in the past. Clueless naysayers won't change that fact.
Clueless yaysayer child with a heavy case of juvenile idealism detected. Also, weaboo moron. How unexpected..

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I was looking either for a PS3 emu or an Xbox360 one recently, because I wanted to play Brutal Legend. There is none to be found anywhere (except some fake ones) and there won't be anytime soon. Damn You, Tim Schafer, why no PC love?
The first half of the game is very fun, all the Heavy Metal references and playing like a old banjo-kazooie game... however, once the game decides to say "fuck you, I'm a RTS game now", it gets very mediocre and boring...

Loads and loads of games require very specific settings to advance through some parts, and different settings to advance through other parts. Some games even require special patches to even be playable.
So, a bunch of guys spend days of their lives making a emulator for you to freely play any fucking game you want, but since obscure game X requires a bit of effort on your part (and yet it IS playable), they are all lazy bastards? Talk about entitled pirates...

Karmapowered

Augur
So, a bunch of guys spend days of their lives making a emulator for you to freely play any fucking game you want, but since obscure game X requires a bit of effort on your part (and yet it IS playable), they are all lazy bastards? Talk about entitled pirates...

Now you're ruining it all. I would have positively enjoyed to expose them, bunch of whiny pansies :smug:

I guess that makes you the nicer better of us two though. God have mercy on my soul.

I don't think PS3 emulation is as impossible as some are making it out to be. Consider:

PS2 emulation is slow and buggy because the PS2 is just an insanely designed system. There's a reason the PS3 couldn't emulate it, the PS3's that could literally just included a PS2 built in. The PCSX2 guys are doing fine by the way, they just can't emulate 100% without tanking the FPS down into SPF. This is normal for something of this complexity and differentness from a regular PC, especially for how many little "tricks" the PS2 devs performed (some of them exploiting completely undocumented functionality). So don't take the PS2 as a benchmark in the first place.

The PS3 uses what is basically an OTS Nvidia GPU, and is programmed in what is basically OpenGL. This cuts out a huge amount of the work for two reasons: You have a very similar architecture to emulate, and the "quirks" that are so tricky to emulate (read: cuts your FPS to shreds) will probably transfer over naturally.

The PS3 is a cell architecture processor. Well documented, no reverse-engineering needed.

The PS3 is highly multithreaded, with 1 PPE and 6 SPEs. This provides a larger barrier to entry in the emulator world (multi-threaded stuff is always tricky in the first place), but once things are ready this greatly speeds up emulation (getting a useful FPS is always the main obstacle). Things will naturally scale up to at least a 7-core CPU, potentially more. Emulating 7 slow CPOne of the huge problems with PS2 emulation is that multicore processing is basically a hack in the first place, and scaling beyond 2 cores impossible. PS3 would not have this problem.

The question is really just one of dedication, time, skill, and willingness to put up with an anal-retentive Sony trying to take it down. Also a question of just how much the 3 or 4 decent PS3 games are worth working for.

potatojohn

Arcane
PS3 will probably never be emulated because it doesn't have any games worth emulating.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
PS3 will probably never be emulated because it doesn't have any games worth emulating.
Nonsense, PS3 will be emulated precisely because it has tons of obscure japanese stuff that you can't play anywhere else. I really doubt that any of the programers make a emulator thinking about playing AAA shit like Halo or Gears of War...

Quilty

Magister
Thanks for all the info, guys. Guess I'm back to playing that shitty old NHL '09. Playing that thing in its tiny-ass resolution on a 27 inch monitor is a real treat. But what can I say, I am addicted to it.

Lottie

Educated
The PS3 uses what is basically an OTS Nvidia GPU, and is programmed in what is basically OpenGL
The vast majority of PS3 games are partially to the metal. You will have to fake the hardware. Dolphin's approach wont cut it even remotely, not even mentioning UltraHLE. Good luck with those fp and vector units on the cpu...

The whole package is too big, too complex for a few nerds with lots of free time to get running. Not gonna happen till someone starts doing some kind of smart heavy duty parallelization on die, so you'd be able to write classic code but get those tasty tflops. See SCO...

I wonder how old Garbagepowered is... 18?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
There are games that don't come out for the PC that I'd like to play, mainly games like NHL 2013 and similar sport games, so I was wondering if the 'Dex bros know of any good PS3 emulators that can run PS3 games reliably.

Actually I wanted to write a small one as my research project, they still didn't released the HW I needed nearly half year ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom