Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PS2 games worth playing

kaizoku

Arcane
Way of the Samurai
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Shadow of Memories
Metal Gear Solid 2 + 3
Okami
Tekken 5

What can you recommend that is worth playing?
Any genre goes, I guess. But if it's an *RPG it must be storyfag compatible, as opposed to never ending dungeon crawling.

protip: I enjoyed Chrono Trigger and FF VI :smug:

AKSHUNFAG time (my favorite type of game genre that isn't on life support as of late).

Devil May Cry series is great stuff, though if you have a Gaystation 3 or Fagbox Three Shitty you might rather wait for the HD collection coming out in a few months that has the first three games bundled in one. Definitely do so if they fixed the retarded control scheme that mars the otherwise superb first game (yes, I played DMC1 first...triangle for jump is still stupid button placement, especially with no re-maps). If not, just pick up DMC1 and DMC3 Special Edition (more difficulties, and an optional extra character who is actually fun). DMC2...I can't really recommend, but it might be worth a try in between DMC1 and DMC2. It's short enough, and even shorter if you avoid playing as Dante and only play as Lucia (yes, Dante is actually the least fun character to play as...that's one of the many reasons fans did not like this game).

God Hand is a must play. It's a totally unique action game that is an evolution of the classic beat 'em ups, with much more in-depth enemies and the ability to customize your moveset with dozens of cool attacks, leading to thousands of combination. It also has one of the best implementations of scaled difficulty ever, with it changing the difficulty on the fly in response to your play performance. One of the best action games ever, behind Ninja Gaiden Black and comprable, if not better than, Ninja Gaiden 2.

Way of the Samurai is awesome stuff, though the first comes more highly recommended than the second. Better combat mechanics are the main reason (they kind of fudged things a bit in the second), but the overall structure of the game helps a lot.

The Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner games are fun action RPGs, and recently entered into my favorites alongside Dark Souls. The first one (Raidou Kuzonoha vs the Soulless Army) is a little rough around the edges, but decent fun. The second (Raidou Kuzonoha vs King Abbadon) improves upon the first in almost every way possible by adding a ton more depth to using demons in combat, adding in demon negotiation, revamping the fusion system, greatly improving general combat mechanics, and so many other things. Exactly what a sequel should do. Try the first if you can get a hold of a copy (it's a freaking bitch to do so), but definitely play the second. Also both games have superb soundtracks, but I'm a sucker for electric jazz-fusion.

Shinobi is a niche thing. Very minimalistic, arcade style design, but tightly done. Probably the "fairest" action game ever made, with no cheap moves, but it demands perfection, especially on higher difficulties. Worth a try, but it's not for everyone. Avoid the "sequel", Nightshade (or Kunoichi in Europe), like the plague. All of the bad parts, none of the good parts.

Those are my contributions. Feel free to ask any questions. It would be nice to talk about *fun* games on the Codex for a change.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Beaten to the actionfag suggestions by Edward R Murrow. Damn. Motherfucking seconding God Hand. It's awesome.

Well, RPG-wise...

Shadow Hearts series. The first has a great horror theme, second is the Aliens to the first's Alien, while the third gets a bit derpy but still fun all around. I find that the combat mechanics are interesting enough that dungeons aren't a chore.

Tales of the Abyss. Generic jfag RPG, if you played one you've played them all. But if you haven't played any, it's worth trying out once. Great voicework for an English dub of a Japanese game.

Kingdom Hearts series. Fucking Disney + emo Final Fantasy characters, can't go wrong there.

Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne and Persona are good storyfag games if you like pseudo-philosophical babble done only the way the Japanese can. The dungeons aren't never-ending but they certainly are relatively difficult.

Ace Combat 4, 5 and 0, fun flight arcade games.

Fatal Frame series - recommended to play in chronological order so that the increased playability doesn't spoil the first game. Great if you're a fan of Asian horror and long haired ghosties. Not so much if you're more of a psychological freak.

For that, check out Silent Hill 2, though it may not be worth it if you've been spoiled about the ending.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Edward_R_Murrow said:
AKSHUNFAG time (my favorite type of game genre that isn't on life support as of late).

God Hand is a must play. It's a totally unique action game that is an evolution of the classic beat 'em ups, with much more in-depth enemies and the ability to customize your moveset with dozens of cool attacks, leading to thousands of combination. It also has one of the best implementations of scaled difficulty ever, with it changing the difficulty on the fly in response to your play performance. One of the best action games ever, behind Ninja Gaiden Black and comprable, if not better than, Ninja Gaiden 2.

It also has this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iks-klevrbY

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LZUXCE4 ... re=related

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
kaizoku said:
But if it's an *RPG it must be storyfag compatible, as opposed to never ending dungeon crawling.
Persona 4 is great, and one of the most storyfag-heavy games ever, give it a try. :)

spekkio

Arcane
Currently 'playing': Fatal Frame

Completed and can recommend: ICO, LA Pucelle, Odin Sphere, Shadow Hearts 2 (best jRPG I've played), SMT 3 (best dungeon crawler I've played).

Started by gave up due to not liking: Okami

Still, I have over 500 GBs of PS2 isos downloaded. Good to know that PS3 started receiving some good games, since console gaming is probably in even deeper shit than computer gaming.

Fatty

Augur
I will also vote for Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne and Shadow Hearts 2.

SMT3 is one of the few dungeon crawlers where random encounters can kill you if you are not careful. Or sometimes even if you are. However you can also become pretty much invincible if you do it right. There's tons of other stuff in it to gush about but that is what stands out most to me.

SH2 is just a fun game. I'm not good at elaborating why really, I just really liked it.

spekkio

Arcane
Fatty said:
SH2 is just a fun game. I'm not good at elaborating why really...
Let me help:

qirdv.jpg

:M

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver titles were all pretty good, imo.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
Ace Combat Fucking 5
Ace Combat Zero
Warship Gunner
Warship Gunner 2

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Xenosaga
Xenosaga II
Xenosaga III
Suikoden II
Suikoden III
Suikoden V
Suikoden Tactics
Final Fantasy VIII

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Consoles are awesome, and the PS2 especially so.

Most of the good games have already been mentioned, unfortunately.

* Disgaea is for you if you like grinding and Japanese "humor"
* God Hand is probably the best game I have ever played, short of SHMUPS; the enemy placement is brillant- and everything else is, too. Tight.
* SMT 3 Nocturne is an amazing turn-based JRPG. Light on the story, high on the difficulty. Never unfair, but it can seem that way. (Truth is, you just weren't prepared well enough, and I don't mean grinding.). It's not that story-faggy, and there are a lot of random encounters. But despite you preferring story over dungeon-crawling, I think you might really enjoy the mood and atmosphere this game sets. If not there is:
* Persona 4! P4 is... really good. I mean, call me a fag, but the game is just incredibly entertaining and very carefully designed. I spent two great weeks with this game that I still remember fondly. This is probably the best game for a storyfag like you. I think you will enjoy it immensely.
* Persona 3 is like 4, but emo and not as well thought-out. However, it's more difficult, so if that's what you are looking for. But it's probably too much dungeon crawling for you- 4 cut out the fat and focused on the story more; the dungeons are shorter and sweeter and more varied. In 3 they are difficult and long treks, with bosses that murder you.
* Silent Hill 2 is just amazing all around for the atmosphere that could be cut with a breadknife, despite its many failings

That's all I can think of right now. I am not a big Playstation player.

Man, it's fun to remember games that were actually good and I didn't have to rage about.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I wrote a fairly lengthy post but it seems to have vanished somehow. Blah.

Monster Hunter if you've never tried the series. Servers are dead, but the only english games in the genre on consoles are this one and the one for the Wii. Try to play at least until you kill a proper Wyvern like a Rathian or something. Shit like kut-ku and gypceros are small fry.

Warship Gunner/Commander. Awesome fun games. My favourite ship builds are piling an ungodly number of chainguns on a ship and using them for everything, and creating ungodly missile boats that can destroy land bases before you can figure out what is in them. Tons of weapon variety and parts to fiddle with.

Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter. Last rpg plot I ever gave a crap about. Everything since then seemed old hat. Cool setting, plays nothing like the rest of the series. Combat largely avoidable, bossfights are cool. Being a retard thouroughly not tolerated.

lightbane

Arcane
Jak and Daxter series.

Front Mission 4 & 5.

Steambot chronicles.

Drakengard 1 (caution, extreme Codexian game, for real)

Radiata Stories.

Beyond Good and Evil.

Blood will Tell.

Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter.

Ring of Red.

Maximo.

The Punisher.

The Sword of Etheria.

lightbane said:
Drakengard 1 (caution, extreme Codexian game, for real)

The gameplay is pretty mediocre when you aren't on a dragon, but the plot is so deliciously fucked up and worth experiencing. A wiki summary doesn't do it justice. If I ever finally finish abandon A Fistful of Collars, that would be one of two games I would love to LP.

Apollion

Scholar
Fuck yeah, Way of the Samurai is such an overlooked title. The second isn't too bad, the third blows both of them out of the water though.

Anyway I just posted a list in the PS1 topic, might as well do so here as well. Kinda long, hope it helps.

-Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (decent)
-Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (love this game, its hard to describe, it's nothing like its predecessors, its like the mutant offspring of a roguelike and vagrant story)
-Champions: Return to Arms (if you enjoy hack n slash)
-Dark Cloud 1 & 2 and also Rogue Galaxy (really addictive, a completionists nightmare, Rogue Galaxy is the worst of the three)
-Dragon Quest VIII
-Gladius (my favorite PS2 game, great overlooked tactical rpg)
-God Hand
-Jade Cocoon 2 (unique)
-Katamari Damacy (fucking addictive)
-Kingdom Hearts I & 2 (yeah yeah I know, not supposed to admit you've played them, but if you grew up wiith and enjoyed disney movies, you will likely enjoy this)
-Metal Saga (decent)
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation v Zion & Gundam v Zeta Gundam (both pretty fun)
-Odin Sphere
-Okami
-Radiata Stories (cutesy as fuck, still fun, very unque title)
-Robot Alchemic Drive (crazy shit, look up some youtube videos)
-Romancing Saga (this is a game for the jrpg elitist)
-Shadow Hearts games
-Shadow of Rome (this game is so overlooked, must play title)
-Shadow of Colossus
-Shin megami tensei: Nocturn (probobly the best jrpg on the PS2)
-Star Wars Battlefront 2
-Steambot Chronicles (weird game, but some people really like it, I have a thing for mentioning obscure titles)
-Suikoden III & V(suikoden series rocks, III is great, V is decent, IV is terrible)
-Summoner 2 (some people think these games are utter shit, I love em)
-Valkyrie Profile 2 (not as good as the orgiinal, decent though)
-Wild Arms 3 & 5 (I sort of enjoyed these, the series is altoghether kind of lame)
-Xenosaga games (xenogears was better)
-X-Men Legends I & II (hack n slash)

Damn I haven't played any of these in a suprisingly long time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom