Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS2 game suggestions?

bminorkey

The original .hack// series is a lot of fun. Story is quite interesting and character building is excellent (but hone your suspension of disbelief), OST is fantastic, and a pretty innovative battle system which I really warmed up to. I heard good things about the sequel series as well.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
But, it gets boring really quickly, and I'm talking about the gameplay there, the story was engaging I'll give you that, albeit at the end of the whole series I just didn't know what to make of it.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
But, it gets boring really quickly, and I'm talking about the gameplay there, the story was engaging I'll give you that, albeit at the end of the whole series I just didn't know what to make of it.

They're also not the longest of RPG's. Honestly, .Hack is pretty low tier in terms of Jap RPG's.

Higher Animal

Arcane
I'll recommend two more that are unique. The first is Grim Grimoire. This is a sprite-based, real time strategy 2-D game that is very fun to play. The game steals from Harry Potter and involves some Jap fan service but the gameplay is good enough to keep you going for a while.

The second is Yakuza. The original game was a mixture of Final Fantasy, Streets of Rage, Resident Evil, and Grand Theft Auto. The combat system is pretty deep and fun to learn.

Along with SOTC these games are the top experiences I've had on the console that weren't multiplayer.

FFXII seems to get a lot of positive opinions. I guess I could try it out. Should I get regular version or international zodiac whatever edition which afaik implemented job system like in ff tactics?

Another question, this time about SMT Nocturne. Can someone explain in a bit more detail what's so good about it? I think I played it like year or 2 ago, didn't get far, seemed to be yet another console jrpg.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
FFXII seems to get a lot of positive opinions. I guess I could try it out. Should I get regular version or international zodiac whatever edition which afaik implemented job system like in ff tactics?

Another question, this time about SMT Nocturne. Can someone explain in a bit more detail what's so good about it? I think I played it like year or 2 ago, didn't get far, seemed to be yet another console jrpg.

Get the International Zodiac whatever version (patch it in english ofc) it's an improved version of the Vanilla game in all areas and it has a Turbo button which you'll just love.
And yes there is a job system that in my opinion makes the game more interesting.

Nocturne is a fantastic dungeon crawling experience.
It has different endings, a well known badass character out for your blood, a hard as fuck optional dungeon, a nice system of convincing demons/gods to join you and it starts with the end of the world.

It's just one of the best games on the platform if you are into that kind of game.

What I think you played was instead Digital Devil Saga which is a linear FFesque game based on the Megaten universe, while it was an adequate dungeon crawler it sucks compared to the sheer openness of Nocturne.

Who doesn't want to have a ring match against Thor?

Funny update - haven't bought a single PS2 game. The box is sitting in a corner, collecting dust.

Why buy anything?

http://freemcboot.info/

You just need a normal memory card.

and

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/[read-first-post-][free-service-]i-can-install-fmcb-you-58851/

bminorkey

I never really got bored, but I'm not a completionist, I just went for the main plot and bosses. Plus the games are each quite short. I think it depends on your style of play.

bminorkey

I recommend Echo Night: Beyond for the PS2. It's an immersive adventure/survival horror game. Kind of Fatal Frame but first person and with no weapons:

This is one of the best intros I've seen. Maybe *the* best.

Zeriel

Arcane
FF XII has very weak characters (except Basch and Balthier), and a forgettable story, but the gameplay is IMHO the best in the series

Make sure to play the translation of FF XII Zodiac Job System. Massively changes a lot of things for the better. The gameplay of vanilla FFXII is a shadow of JZS.

I hear the Berserk PS2 game is great, but it was never translated from wapanese. It closely follows the Millennium Falcon arc from the manga.
Aparently it goes even beyond, at least the video clearly shows moments from the whole saga (except his childhood).

Also, lol at how the manga is still pretty much at the same point it was when this PS2 game was made... :roll:
:D

I need to try this.

Is there a guide somewhere about how to apply the Zodiac patch? Also, something somewhere explaining when to do the bounties? I remember playing FF12 and generally enjoying it, but getting annoyed at how the bounties would show up long before your characters were capable of beating them. So I resigned myself to just doing the story quest, and somehow stopped playing it in the midst of a part of the story that had you go through like 12 zones in a row with nothing happening (it was something after the holy sages on the mountain place). Never got back to it, but I really enjoyed the gameplay. It just seemed like character development (non-zodiac, class-less system) tailed off long before the end of the game.

Zodiac patch requires both an iso of the zodiac and the normal edition to copy language files from one to the other. Already patched versions can be found.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
FF XII has very weak characters (except Basch and Balthier), and a forgettable story, but the gameplay is IMHO the best in the series

Make sure to play the translation of FF XII Zodiac Job System. Massively changes a lot of things for the better. The gameplay of vanilla FFXII is a shadow of JZS.

I hear the Berserk PS2 game is great, but it was never translated from wapanese. It closely follows the Millennium Falcon arc from the manga.
Aparently it goes even beyond, at least the video clearly shows moments from the whole saga (except his childhood).

Also, lol at how the manga is still pretty much at the same point it was when this PS2 game was made... :roll:
:D

I need to try this.

Is there a guide somewhere about how to apply the Zodiac patch? Also, something somewhere explaining when to do the bounties? I remember playing FF12 and generally enjoying it, but getting annoyed at how the bounties would show up long before your characters were capable of beating them. So I resigned myself to just doing the story quest, and somehow stopped playing it in the midst of a part of the story that had you go through like 12 zones in a row with nothing happening (it was something after the holy sages on the mountain place). Never got back to it, but I really enjoyed the gameplay. It just seemed like character development (non-zodiac, class-less system) tailed off long before the end of the game.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f164/ff12-international-zodiac-job-system-english-conversion-62222/

That is where thew Turbo Mode comes in handy, you just won't get fucked by the backtrack so much.

Bounties require preparation ond knowledge of the system before you tackle them. Or massive "overlevelling"

Zeriel

Arcane
The latest pre-patched iso I can find is 0.19 of the zodiac translation. Anyone know if that is good enough to not have errors, or should I try to manually patch it?

Froglok

Educated
Well, adding a job system fixes 1/3rd of the problem

Looks like Vaan is still in the game, and it still has that awful realtime MMO-style combat

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I only played the first on console. The game is interesting but it's plagued by long loading times, sometimes they occur even crossing the street.
It's an interesting romp and fight mechanics are interesting if a bit simlicistic.

Also, bashing people in the head with a giant cone never gets old

Rpgsaurus Rex

Re: FF12, its weakest point was too much focus on politics + bland characters, which made the politics bland by association and overall narrative failure. Combat system was fine, not great but functional. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's not a bad game either and something that might well work if you're going through a JRPG phase (God have mercy on your soul...).

Noddy

Augur
Is there a PS2 JRPG without voice acting (maybe except in few cutscenes?)? Because I fucking hate to hear saturday morning cartoon voices in my JRPG, and also because dialogue boxes >>>>>>>>>>> any voice over in JRPG

Arc the lad. Voice acting is rare.

Decent JRPG too. And by decent JRPG i mean terrible story and easy as fuck but i kind of like the combat.

deuxhero

Arcane
Is there a PS2 JRPG without voice acting (maybe except in few cutscenes?)? Because I fucking hate to hear saturday morning cartoon voices in my JRPG, and also because dialogue boxes >>>>>>>>>>> any voice over in JRPG

Nocturne and the Raidou Kuzunoha game.

Wild Arms 3 also lacks VA, though it isn't as exceptional as the games listed above. It's fairly good, especially when you can throttle past the slow battles

Rpgsaurus Rex

Nocturne and the Raidou Kuzunoha game.

Wild Arms 3 also lacks VA, though it isn't as exceptional as the games listed above. It's fairly good, especially when you can throttle past the slow battles

Wizardry: Tales of Forsaken Lands is also worthy of a mention as a great crawler with non-animeshit graphics and no VO.

SearchEngine

Learned
Tactical
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX & X
La Pucelle Tactics
Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
Dynasty Tactics

Blobbers
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Wizardry: Tale of the Foresaken Land

Horror
Rule of Rose

Regular JRPG
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song

Cool name

Arcane
Shadow Tower Abyss.
Kagero II: Dark Illusion. Aka Trapt.
Hungry Ghosts.
Echo Night Beyond.
Zero I, II, & III. Aka Project Zero I, II, & III. Aka Fatal Frame I, II, & III.
Shadow of the Colossus.
Ico.
Primal.
Michigan Report From Hell.
Glass Rose.
Killer 7.
Kenka Banchou.
Final Fantasy X-II. Fuck you too.
Warriors Orochi II. The first one too but that's on PC.
Xenosaga I, II, & II.
Espgaluda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom