Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Project Nevada fucking sucks

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
If you have to mod a game 2000 times to the point that it doesn't even play the same anymore, is it really the same game?
That's like some Ship of Theseus shit.
This is why I dropped New Vegas.
I wasn't playing New Vegas anymore. I don't think I've ever played New Vegas, except back in 2014 where I barely knew how to mod.
Yeah, I tried dabbling in Project Nevada, and it was just too much.
STALKER has the same problem, especially Anomaly and Misery which adds a bunch of necessary mechanics and metro armour sets and enemies for some unholy reason.

Yosharian

Arcane
Project Nevada fucking sucks. FNV is a great game just with the base mechanics. VNV is really all you need, but you should check out The Sands also.

FNV installed using the VNV modlist is incredibly stable and basically bug-free. Last time I played it, I didn't encounter a single crash in 50+ hours. It also runs at 120+ FPS without issue.

Yosharian

Arcane
Project Nevada fucking sucks.
Why?
Outdated? Buggy? Systems don't work/mesh well together? Superceded by better mods?

Here's what VNV says about PN:

"Outdated, inefficient, bloated, and broken. Most features have modern alternatives (see the list below). Has almost 20 scripts that run every single frame, causes save bloat due to continuous quest stages being triggered, and some features either don't work or break the game (chargeable weapons, lethal headshots, and the stealth/AI changes)."

Ash

Arcane
Almost none of that is really relevant. Wow, the author there found four minor flaws in a rather complex mod, disingenuously pretending as if every piece of software in existence doesn't have flaws. You may be surprised to know a lot of games out there do not have the best programming. The truth of the matter is PNV is good from a game design and end-user experience standpoint, especially as an all-in-one base gameplay enhancement so you don't have to fuck around installing 200 individual mods and making sure they are compatible and ordered correctly. Also beware community in-fighting among modders and mod fans. That statement reeks of personal bias. Don't take everything you read as gospel unless you can verify it yourself. The mod isn't perfect, but I can attest to it being a pretty damn solid enhancement for the game. In my last playthrough I used it again, first considering installing the 200 micro mod alternatives but the entire thing is a massive time sink + not all those individual mods would do things as I desired when I tried them. I had zero performance issues with P:NV (my comp isn't the best) and no save game issues. There was a bug or two for sure, but ALL software more complex than Candy Crush has bugs. FNV itself is laden with bugs, but we still love it. So until someone makes an all-in-one, well put together comprehensive package with good design equal to or surpassing P:NV, then nah VNV author, I am good.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Treat yourself, but it's a broken mod and let's not pretend it's hard to enjoy heavily-modded New Vegas, it's literally press a few buttons in Wabbajack, or there are detailed manual guides to follow

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Almost none of that is really relevant. Wow, the author there found four minor flaws in a rather complex mod, disingenuously pretending as if every piece of software in existence doesn't have flaws. You may be surprised to know a lot of games out there do not have the best programming. The truth of the matter is PNV is good from a game design and end-user experience standpoint, especially as an all-in-one base gameplay enhancement so you don't have to fuck around installing 100 individual mods and making sure they are compatible and ordered correctly. Also beware community in-fighting among modders and mod fans. That statement reeks of personal bias. Don't take everything you read as gospel unless you can verify it yourself. The mod isn't perfect, but I can attest to it being a pretty damn solid enhancement for the game. In my last playthrough I used it again, first considering installing the 100 micro mod alternatives but the entire thing is a massive time sink + not all those individual mods would do things as I desired when I tried them. I had zero performance issues with P:NV (my comp isn't the best) and no save game issues. So until someone makes an all-in-one, well put together comprehensive package much equal to or surpassing P:NV, then nah VNV author, I am good.
While I never had problems with the Core modules of PN, some options of the Extra Modules plugin for PN WILL degrade your performance the longer you are in a gaming session. If I ever were to create a new mod build, I would not use it again, since scripting has come such a long way now, and PN scripts are NOT optimized at all, and don't make use of the many new functions, that the NVSE offers.

Ash

Arcane
It's not broken. It largely works perfectly fine. The stealth changes are literally labelled as "experimental". I just keep that vanilla and throw on individual AI changes from other mods on top.
Supercharge weapons don't work as intended no, no big deal I expect bugs with all software of moderate complexity because that is just being realistic. Lethal headshots, what, one shot kill realism faggotry? I am unaware such a feature exists and if I were I absolutely wouldn't use it as the game is not balanced around that. The majority of the features are modular so you can define it as you please.

Wabbajack no thanks. The average gamer throwing together a mod list cannot be trusted. I am very picky regarding design.

While I never had problems with the Core modules of PN, some options of the Extra Modules plugin for PN WILL degrade your performance the longer you are in a gaming session.

That plugin is from a 3rd party and PN itself cannot be blamed. Good to know though. I was using it. Didn't notice anything and my sessions are by no means short, but that doesn't mean you're not correct.

I would not use it again, since scripting has come such a long way now, and PN scripts are NOT optimized at all, and don't make use of the many new functions, that the NVSE offers.

I believe you. It just...doesn't actually matter as long as it isn't crash happy. It only matters if you're running 250 graphics whoring mods, and I am not a graphics whore.

Here is a recording from my recent playthrough on my not-great computer:

It stutters at one point but video recording takes a lot of resources + I was running around 60 gameplay-centric mods and 20 visual. Not neccessarily PN, could be, even then I don't care. This ain't Quake arena where every frame counts. A hiccup is common in gaming, and acceptable.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Autistic genius modder who has created tons of highly successful, fun to play and 100% bug-free & crash-free modlists while asking for nothing in return

> average gamer throwing together a mod list

:deathclaw:

Ash

Arcane
Hahaha. A number of people have called me the exact same thing, "autistic genius modder", so it is now seriously on my radar for a good look over next playthrough. I'm not a fan of backhanded compliments (often coming from actual self-professed autist mod players lol) but it's better than no appreciation or respect.

Automated mod list aside, what actual designs/mods has this alleged genius made himself? It takes solid game design to truly earn my respect in this realm, as even making a respectable mod list requires having some good design sense, to not pick the incorrect mods. Some nice software tools are very impressive, but a dime-a-dozen. If I am to trust this guy's list truly, I would first want to see evidence of his comprehension of game design, which is a different skillset than software tool programming.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
So now he has to have made some mods in order to be respected?

Look if you don't want to use Wabbajack that's fine

Cologno

Educated
Are you still talking VNV? I haven't seen it Wabbajack for awhile. Midnight modlist either for that matter.

Yosharian

Arcane
The Sands is the best FNV modlist on Wabbajack at the moment, it hasn't been updated in a while though

Blue Moon is Qolore's newer modlist but it's manual only for the moment

Ash

Arcane
So now he has to have made some mods in order to be respected?
By me? Not necessarily respected, but trusted with matters of game design yes. Compiling a massive list of mods, which dramatically alters a game, requires a sense of game design. There are shit mods out there. There are good ones out there that may not necessarily be a good choice to mix with others. And so forth. Is it rocket science? No. And yet most games these days are shit somehow, and for example, even here many people are storyfaggots and otherwise complete game design dunces. Jesus they still haven't even figured out how to define an RPG, and their top games lists are pure storyfaggotry - games with good writing that are otherwise terrible games lol. Old school genuine game design is a dying art.

So anyway, I'd rather do the work myself than take a gamble. For example, sprinting. We all want this feature yes? Of course. So what I always do is reduce base AP (= sprint duration and VATS use) and make enemies more competent to compensate. The game was not originally designed with sprinting in mind and was already quite easy to begin with. How many people actually do this (or at least some kind of logical equivalent)? I am betting 5% of people that install sprint at best. So as you can see, assuming my numbers are correct (they are) it is not easy to place blind faith in massive pre-assembled mod lists.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Throwing 2 cents here. I'm actually curious to try out a new mod list but I have FNV set up since 31 August 2021 (my last savegame), using the Fear and Loathing in New Vegas guide, and I'm just too lazy to go through another setup process. My FNV campaigns tend to be modding for 50 hours and playing from the beginning up to New Vegas when I run out of interest.

Losus4

Literate
Don't care for FNV modded or otherwise. When I realized you couldn't change the hardcoded hotkey for ammo change, I immediately uninstalled it, and I have been a bigger and better man since.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't care for FNV modded or otherwise. When I realized you couldn't change the hardcoded hotkey for ammo change, I immediately uninstalled it, and I have been a bigger and better man since.
I didn't even know it couldn't be changed. I think I've bound it to ";" like it is in the Arma games.

Losus4

Literate
Can be bind to some other key with this mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66347?tab=po

now shut up and play the game

There are 4000 lines of settings in Stewie tweaks ini file if you think I'm going to sift through all that you're very much mistaken

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Can be bind to some other key with this mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66347?tab=po

now shut up and play the game

There are 4000 lines of settings in Stewie tweaks ini file if you think I'm going to sift through all that you're very much mistaken
CTRL+F is your friend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom