Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project GODUS, the ultimate Peter Molyneux fiasco

Mortmal

Arcane
Honestly that description makes it sound exactly the same as Populous (let's not overstate the 'town growth' mechanic in that, you just created flat land). Jesus Christ, this guy has some balls to take millions of dollars from people morons and just reskin the same fucking game.

A reskin ? id be happy with a reskin, no its... something... You have to see it yourself in game,you have to witness this spiral of awesomeness, no words could do justice to this masterpiece. Since i paid for it i may as well look further , i just discovered they even added virtual facebook friends , kid friends,with lolcatz pictures, to play against you . I cant wait to see the new surprises !

I'm not mad, I'm glad. The Kickstarter pulled in a relatively tiny amount of money considering that Molyjew is a celebrity developer. Backers who did pledge are getting exactly what they deserve and should have expected, meanwhile he's damaging his reputation yet again amongst at least a sizable swath of the gaming populace. Couldn't have asked for more, really.

This pearl of wisdom will be stored for posterity, when more celebrity kickstarters will be be released, wasteland 2, star citizen , torment, project eternity.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
Mortmal should have had the dignity of not admitting to everyone Molyneux made an idiot out of him and then trying to defend his own stupidity.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Alright more impressions:

So I unlocked mountain sculpting which lets me manipulate many layers at the same time. This has made geomodification probably 10 times faster. And my wrist hurts less, too.
I also like the "sub-plot" with the AI where you meet a token 15 year old girl and a two older people. The hilarious part with this sub-plot is that the 15 year old girl seems to have become friends with some pedophile with the older people warning her about strangers on the internet. It's like watching one of those educational videos from the 90's :lol:.

Mortmal

Arcane
Mortmal should have had the dignity of not admitting to everyone Molyneux made an idiot out of him and then trying to defend his own stupidity.

The very first game i discovered on the amiga was populous, it was pure magic, so yes lately he had not done anything of worth just fable games, but with a team of veteran from bullfrog and a few new guys why not ? Is it any different in believing that brian fargo will deliver a true wasteland sequel , when he has not done shit since years and last game was decent to undermountain ? Or believing in star citizen even if chris robets have not done anything since years too, because wing commander on the 486 was magic too?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I can't believe I spent wasted 9 hours on this game today. Anyway, I seem to have run into a brick wall. I can't increase my influence any further since I can't find influence altars anymore, I can't dig up resource cards for the upgrades I need to advance and I can't continue the "story" mode since I need to unlock Bronze Age to continue. Dunno if this is just messed up balancing or if it's intentional to limit us from getting to further civilizations because of beta.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I can't believe I spent wasted 9 hours on this game today. Anyway, I seem to have run into a brick wall. I can't increase my influence any further since I can't find influence altars anymore, I can't dig up resource cards for the upgrades I need to advance and I can't continue the "story" mode since I need to unlock Bronze Age to continue. Dunno if this is just messed up balancing or if it's intentional to limit us from getting to further civilizations because of beta.

The "Pay $10 to Continue" pop-up dialog window must be bugged at the moment. Don't worry, they'll probably fix that tout suite.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
This .gif is so completely appropriate for GODUS that my fucking face hurts from the shit-eating grin I'm sporting.

Oi6nQVi.gif

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Best part is when he says 'I like how you can sculpt the land, though, that's really neat.' Yeah, 25 years ago in Populous. Such innovashun!

Pretty smart of Molyneux. Not like anyone in mainstream gaming actually remember Populous. Hell most weren't even born when it was released. So just pretty it up, add Facebook/iOS features and resell it to momos.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty smart of Molyneux. Not like anyone in mainstream gaming actually remember Populous. Hell most weren't even born when it was released. So just pretty it up, add Facebook/iOS features and resell it to momos.
It was in the EA bundle though, maybe somebody will notice.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I doubt anyone bothered to play it and if they did probably gave up after seeing the graphics.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Some misinformation in that video. Finger of God has a time limit to how many houses you can destroy. Also, the gems can be mined from spots found in the world.

Anyway, I clocked in 11 hours. I've done everything that is possible and now must wait for 22cans to fix the game so that you can continue advancing in the game. Seems to be a bug where once you hit 2300 pop your guys stop building houses.

DraQ

Arcane
p. reasonable review from totalbiscuit

Looks incredibly shit.

Visuals are shit (ok, I know, alpha, but would it be so hard to actually morph the terrain smoothly instead of making it a stack of wafers? It would add terrain inclination to the mechanics too), the way viewport is constrained makes no sense these days and looks like cheap nostalgia hook, bursting bubbles with your mouse looks extremely retarded and tedious, and so on.

The chest digging for resources is even more retarded. Would be funny if people gave money to one-button Pete expecting anything more than a Facebook game.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Why are people still discussing Molyneux games? He hasn't made a decent game since Black and White? , let alone a great game since Dungeon Keeper.

Turjan

Arcane
Looks incredibly shit.

Visuals are shit (ok, I know, alpha, but would it be so hard to actually morph the terrain smoothly instead of making it a stack of wafers? It would add terrain inclination to the mechanics too), the way viewport is constrained makes no sense these days and looks like cheap nostalgia hook, bursting bubbles with your mouse looks extremely retarded and tedious, and so on.
I can understand the wafer thingie, as that's more or less the point of how the game produces living area. However, I agree it looks shit. Also, it looks like a complete waste of time. Doing retarded clicking and card collecting nonstop. Yay.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Populous 2 was the best god-game ever made. Just slap a greek mythology theme over this godus thing and bloody well release it already, instant gold.

Also, if you enjoyed Populous: The Beginning, then you're a moron.

Destroid

Arcane
Pop3 was a solid game, if a rather severe departure from previous pop games.

This game looks to be more about dicking around than gaming.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry to learn of your mental disability, destroid.

Pop3 was pure disappointment given how great Pop2 was; one is hard pressed to think of a better game than Populous 2. You can tell a man of quality by his taste in Populous; a luddite or old curmudgeon goes for the original Pop, a man of quality goes for Pop 2, and console kids drool over Pop 3. It's science, look it up.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
They're all more-or-less completely skippable, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom