Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #68: New Art

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They're outsourcing entire maps, not just piecemeal assets like Wasteland 2 has done with the Unity Store.

Come on, think about it.

Roguey said:
Larian outsourcing map design to China due to the massive amount of new content required for NPC schedules. :lol:
As long as Obsidian/Larian or whoever is the one handing them the documents and telling them to make the maps to their specifications it doesn't matter who's in charge of the time-consuming process of building the level.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Tigranes

Arcane
I like Roguey, it's doublethink down to an art. Not only is Roguey absolutely convinced of his/her/its own doublethink and have it internally consistent, it's also mixed in with swathes of good points and argumentation. Just when you think Roguey is actually very smart / very stupid, bam. Roguey will not be categorised.

Athelas

Arcane
They said they outsourced all the wilderness areas, if I'm not mistaken. Which means all those areas will at least have a consistent look, which is nice.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They're outsourcing entire maps, not just piecemeal assets like Wasteland 2 has done with the Unity Store.

Come on, think about it.

Roguey said:
Larian outsourcing map design to China due to the massive amount of new content required for NPC schedules. :lol:
As long as Obsidian/Larian or whoever is the one handing them the documents and telling them to make the maps to their specifications it doesn't matter who's in charge of the time-consuming process of building the level.

Oookay. Personally I wouldn't be so quick to remove that weapon from my rhetorical arsenal, if I were (a troll like) you! I'm sure this isn't the last time we're going to see this kind of outsourcing.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, Josh is the genius that decided to add a perfectly preserved dragon skeleton right next to the road, or was the outsourced art team's idea and Josh was too lazy to give any instructions & check their work?

Athelas

Arcane
The skeleton looks so clean because those images aren't done yet, they will still undergo a final touch-up which adds details.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oookay. Personally I wouldn't be so quick to remove that weapon from my rhetorical arsenal, if I were (a troll like) you! I'm sure this isn't the last time we're going to see this kind of outsourcing.
All of Shadowrun Returns' environment art was done by interns and a couple of contractors. Didn't bother me, it looked great.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Area is pre-alpha - preserved skeleton has merely been placed in the map and will be 'fixed' in a polish pass.

Guaranteed.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Roguey you are becoming entirely too predictable. Of course not everyone is up to speed on your insufferable rhetoric, but to the more monocled you are becoming tiresome. I would hate to see hiver overtake you in the ignored list.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Goegoff

Educated
Area is pre-alpha - preserved skeleton has merely been placed in the map and will be 'fixed' in a polish pass.

Guaranteed.

wishful thinking
BAdler said:
There is still plenty of work that needs to go into these areas. Keep in mind that you are seeing areas that are currently being worked on in this milestone so you will probably see a few oddball things from time to time.
So, it's about as WIP as it can get.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Any immersion was gone ages ago, when I saw the perfect carpet of green grass of this fantasy theme park... seems like the designers never were allowed to go beyond their mother's lawn. But yeah, the dragon skeleton destroyed all that remained, the ashes of my dead immersion are now gone and can't be resurrected anymore; I'll have to re-roll a new feeling towards P:E.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
intact skeletons exposed on the wild, not even speaking of by a road for human shiny behavior is unpossible. Small foragers would take the smaller bones for the marrow, floods would disperse them, birds would scavenge the smaller parts of the spine for nest material etc. Not to speak of the humanoid monsters that presumably would love to work bone.

Also i don't particularly like the mix of yellow autumn trees and summer green trees. I know there is a particular time when that is possible, and that BG was even more of clusterfuck but bah
Of course, if the game tracks time of year and longitude and changes the colors and leaves shedding i will be highly impressed. :troll:

Last edited:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I've always considered good graphics a bonus when it comes to great RPGs, not a friggin' requirement. What the shit is with some of you I'll never understand. Kids these days, et al.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
wishful thinking

I take it you don't read the mega-thread.

Josh Sawyer said:
Right now, every area is being done to an alpha level. To us, alpha means that it works more-or-less as intended but may be rough around the edges. The gut instinct guideline says that if you would cringe but eventually shrug if it went out in that state, it's probably at alpha. We don't want things to go out in alpha state, but they need to get to alpha state first -- all of them. When working in an area that winds up as a 2D render, one could ask, "Hey, how long could you build things for that area?" The answer is

F
O
R
E
V
E
R

Polygons and textures really aren't an issue for us, but time is. We have so many areas to build that we've found it isn't productive to bear down on individual maps in the same milestone that they reach alpha (barring special exceptions). As time goes by, our asset library grows and we find that we can flesh out or refine earlier areas, so a bunch of touch up work could get wasted.

That said, a time will come when all of these maps are rendered and Rob, Bobby, and I will go through every one of them and mark up every little thing we want fixed. Then Rob and Brandon will prioritize them and the artists will go buck wild, dividing their time between every map as circumstances warrant and time allows. I'm very confident it will result in a global increase in visual area quality and will address many of the head-scratching elements you see on our maps.

imweasel

So, Josh is the genius that decided to add a perfectly preserved dragon skeleton right next to the road, or was the outsourced art team's idea and Josh was too lazy to give any instructions & check their work?
And the trees look like large bushes painted by Bob Ross (RIP bro).

Sawyer's genius is uncanny.

Ninjerk

Arcane
intact skeletons exposed on the wild, not even speaking of by a road for human shiny behavior is unpossible. Small foragers would take the smaller bones for the marrow, floods would disperse them, birds would scavenge the smaller parts of the spine for nest material etc. Not to speak of the humanoid monsters that presumably would love to work bone.

Also i don't particularly like the mix of yellow autumn trees and summer green trees. I know there is a particular time when that is possible, and that BG was even more of clusterfuck but bah
Of course, if the game tracks time of year and longitude and changes the colors and leaves shedding i will be highly impressed. :troll:
How do you even get up in the morning? Every day must be a long series of disappointing observations and events.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom