Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #54: Mega Art Update + UI Mockup

A user named cat

6e3dib5.jpg

SmartCheetah

Arcane
ih46ye.jpg

Gah! >.< Should be "set".
I write semi-phonetically when I'm in hurry.
2s1m5mo.jpg

Nah, but seriously, too much stuff everywhere on the screen. Looks like some ridiculous mmo thing.
I like what they originally did. Reminds me of IE games(especially IWD2, maybe because of placeholder icons), and that's a good thing.
What's the fucking point of minimap anyway?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The one thing that is good in MMOs is the UI ,so if more games are like them is move in the right direction.Because lets be real the best thing in old RPGs were the comfortable and intuitive interfaces.

Rake

Arcane
The one thing that is good in MMOs is the UI ,so if more games are like them is move in the right direction.Because lets be real the best thing in old RPGs were the comfortable and intuitive interfaces.
:killit:

Delterius

Arcane
:killit:

I'd rephrase that.

One good thing about "MMOs'" (and I mean WoW, really) UI is how moddable it is. In, say, WoW you can do whatever you want.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I don't like the idea of a minimap. Bringing up the zone map gives me a feeling of "pulling out the map" like an adventurer. It feels less exploratory having a constant orientation aid in a corner.
The same goes for character sheets and inventory. By having it full-screen, it becomes a "focus activity" for the player.

Rake

Arcane
I don't like the idea of a minimap. Bringing up the zone map gives me a feeling of "pulling out the map" like an adventurer. It feels less exploratory having a constant orientation aid in a corner.
The same goes for character sheets and inventory. By having it full-screen, it becomes a "focus activity" for the player.
I don't think there will be a minimap. What's the point in an isometric IE like game? In IE games you could click somewhere on the map and your characters would go there.

DemonKing

Arcane
It looks just like the IWD style - which I do think is gorgeous - and given that Fergy bought the art assets off Herve a few years ago they could use with impunity. *However* I would like to see some variation rather than a straight clone of what has worked before.

Tigranes

Arcane
Sorry, fixed perspective painted background IE legacy game - I don't think small bits and pieces everywhere works.

Cipher
Sawyer wants to minimize mouse travel distance from right-aligned portraits to the action bar, because this is apparently the most uncomfortable direction to move the mouse for a right-handed person, and he wants to keep the dialogue box aligned to the right for readablity.

The wide bottom bar eats away at the already narrow widescreen viewport, however. Thus, a left-aligned UI?

yfkuq.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sawyer wants to minimize mouse travel distance from right-aligned portraits to the action bar, because this is apparently the most uncomfortable direction to move the mouse for a right-handed person, and he wants to keep the dialogue box aligned to the right for readablity.

The wide bottom bar eats away at the already narrow widescreen viewport, however. Thus, a left-aligned UI?

yfkuq.jpg
The lef aligned portraits look shit. So do the million icons on the bottom left.

Wizfall

Cipher
I don't like it because as centurionofprix said the wide bottom bar eats away at the already narrow widescreen viewport.
I would like better an UI that is in some parts vertical in order to not loose so much height.

Vicar

Cipher
Patron
aym3wp.jpg

IMO moving it to the top and making it slightly slimmer (and adding a line frame) makes it looks much better without changing too much things.

himmy

Arcane
ITT we find out that the bar would look better literally everywhere else than where Obsidian put it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
IMO moving it to the top and making it slightly slimmer (and adding a line frame) makes it looks much better without changing too much things.

Or.. or.. they could split it in two, and have for example text at the top and options at the bottom, like in AoD. It's brilliant.

Tigranes

Arcane
ITT we find out that the bar would look better literally everywhere else than where Obsidian put it.

Most of the mockups here look terrible to me, while some look better than Obsidan's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom