Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #20: Screenshot! Lore! Stronghold and Another Big City!

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The truth is that we have no idea how well this Kickstarter will do on its final days. It depends on how many new pledgers out there can be persuaded to join in.
or how many old pledgers can be persuaded to pay more.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
if all current backers add 5$ they're very short of the 3 mil target, so that shouldn't take too much to achieve...

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I like the screenshots... but something's wrong with the angle. I'd prefer it wasn't so wide. But it all sounds very promising.

Must... resist... the urge... to up... my pledge... with money... I don't have....

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I like the screenshots... but something's wrong with the angle. I'd prefer it wasn't so wide. But it all sounds very promising.

Must... resist... the urge... to up... my pledge... with money... I don't have....

Hopefully they will build the interface mostly on the sides. Won't look as wide.

asper

Arcane
It looks really nice, but glancing over the full-res version I get the feeling that there's a perspective discrepancy. Maybe I'm just seeing things, but there's something about the top half vs the bottom half that makes them look as somewhat separate entities.

Ah, so I am NOT crazy! Yeah, the perspective is a bit off. The pic made me dizzy when I walked along its paths in the larger versions. Very nice picture, still.

Zeronet

Learned
For whatever reason, a fair chunk of people hold back until the very end because they don't understand kickstarter doesn't take your money until the end. I usually wait to up my pledge at the last minute.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If I hadn't actually believed DU was trolling with the 24 hour thing, I would have overdrawn my bank account and suffered huge financial problems. Robbing a bank would have been cool too, but alas, I'm sort of a pussy these days. The goddamn guilt of making my parents cry was getting to be too much. I don't necessarily feel old and rotten, but fuck if I don't get bogged down by these asinine emotions. :mad:

Frusciante

Cipher
How do they animate all this stuff in 2D ?

This is a rhetorical question right? I mean you know the waterfall is probably not fully animated since thats very hard (is it impossible? honest question) to do in a 2D environment.
You're not a fan of 2D enviroments I guess?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

This is a rhetorical question right? I mean you know the waterfall is probably not fully animated since thats very hard (is it impossible? honest question) to do in a 2D environment.
Hobgoblin has great looking 2D art as well, I guess he was wondering about the animations as in, how will the water move on that waterfall. Cycling colours in the palette is an option but I'm just speculating here.

asper

Arcane
Nah, that's too retro, would give a psychedelic effect here. Nothing is stopping them from making the water 3d just as the character models.

Actually funny, I never realized that in the IE games nothing was animated in the backgrounds. Maybe because there were no waterfalls?

Frusciante

Cipher

Hobgoblin has great looking 2D art as well, I guess he was wondering about the animations as in, how will the water move on that waterfall. Cycling colours in the palette is an option but I'm just speculating here.

Yes I know, Chaos Chronicles looks great (it´s 3D btw right?). If the water and waterfall are animated then this would be even more amazing. I dont know much about the technical side of 2d art combined with 3d effects so I´m not sure if it´s even possible. But I got the impression that Hobgoblin doesnt like 2D in modern games since he made a comment about it in another PE thread as well.

Can someone with more knowledge about this comment on the possibility of the waterfall and water being animated?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Nah, that's too retro, would give a psychedelic effect here. Nothing is stopping them from making the water 3d just as the character models.

Actually funny, I never realized that in the IE games nothing was animated in the backgrounds. Maybe because there were no waterfalls?

AR5200 Dryad Falls

9081.jpg

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Although it's beautiful , it is too realistic for my taste (Blame the tech advancement). Also the real estate is small and angle is somehow wrong
when I try to visualize a party of adventurers on it. it rather looks like the background of an adventure game screen. I need to see sprawling areas.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I believe they were trying to show what areas would sort of look like, not showing off an entire finished area that's ready to accept PCs and NPCs.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Can someone with more knowledge about this comment on the possibility of the waterfall and water being animated?
You can do it with image composition, which you have to do anyway. The background is *most* of that picture, but despite being 2D some of the elements are in different layers (3D space) than others, and some of those layers are 3D and animated elements.

When your characters walk behind the bushes or through the bridge, the bushes and bridge posts have to be drawn in front of them. Same as the right statue when characters are entering the temple. Well, imagine now a 3D water layer that only covers the river and cascade, and another 3D layer for the bushes.

A good example of this image compisition can be seen in the last Double Fine video update, where they're making a 2D game but they rotate the scene for you to see the layers and how they combine.

tl;dr can be done

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom