Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #2: Stretch Goals Revealed

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
p.s. The whole TB vs RT vs TRWP argument is stupid. Does every game really need to have the same combat system? Most people even the punks here have at least games with all 3 types so STFU about it. The fact you have WL2 with Tb and PI witH RTWP is a good thing. GAMES BEING DIFFERENT IS A GOOD THING.

maverick

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
"elves say, "chillax"."

Does this confirm elves are in... and, they actually go around in game yelling "Chillax"? *shudder*

AND THERE BETTER BE FUKKIN' DWARVES FOR FUCK SAKES!!!
And with the Linux stretch, there will be .tar.gz knights :salute:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
three races, five classes, and five companions

Jesus they are not really stretching their creative ability here.

Anyway I just canceled my backing until they actually talk about their game system. This feels like it's headed down a bioware path. I can't get that whole soul thing out of my head and it seems unbelievably contrived.

edit: And 'Player House'? At least pretend you don't have a vagina and call it a stronghold.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax".

Since there are only 5 companions this would imply that not all of them can go with you implying a party size of less than 6. Shitty game design is getting shittier.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Bioware pandering is disturbing. ALL the stretch goals should be on making the game better and better and better. Not companions and crap (ONE more is fine). They are really missing the boat on translations though.

Voiced my options on the official forums and a backer. But it will all be drowned out by shitposter/trolls/Biodrones.
I'm annoyed that there's not even a hint of a TB option. Shit, is it really that hard to break down time based actions in RTwP into turns?

The one reason is that NONE of the IE games were turn based. And as specifically stated, they are trying to do is a "classic" IE Game. The entire OMG NO TURN BASED WTFBBQ is retarded. Period.

Would turn-based as an OPTION be cool. Oh hell yes. But then again that's not in the scope of the project. This is NOT Obsidian doing a new type of RPG. It is based on the classic IE engine. Which is fine by me I fucking LOVE BG/BGII/IWD/IWDII/PST. And I continue to replay them because they are fantastic.

Well yeah I knew it was supposed to be 'IE Reloaded' but if we're going for stretch goals I would have preferred to have seen even a limited time based TB option so as things don't generate into a clusterfuck like everytime you meet a bunch of gibberlings or goblins. Playing BG now(with your suggested options) I was really reminded just how tedious constantly pausing the game to get a character to do something else or co-ordinate an attack on some caster at the back then unpausing, repausing, adjusting etc. can be.

Anyway, I see that saying that RTwP is crap and it's effects might be ameliorated a bit with even a simple TB option(to avoid the shit pause/unpause) is heresy round here. Shit posters like Volly and quality ones like Brother None and Jaesun are up in arms that someone dares criticise the implementation of RTS mechanics in an RPG. I've leave it at that.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax".

Since there are only 5 companions this would imply that not all of them can go with you implying a party size of less than 6. Shitty game design is getting shittier.
Well spotted, hope they can confirm or deny this. Tiny parties (DA:O) are not my cup of tea.

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012

Well spotted, hope they can confirm or deny this. Tiny parties (DA:O) are not my cup of tea.
The stretch goals add 3 more companions, it seems.

I guess I'm cynical but to me it's obvious they always planned to have more than 5 companions total but are teasing the rest out via stretch goals to increase funding. There's no way their original vision of the game had only enough companions to fill the roster. And I believe the party size is going to be 6 based on the whiteboard drawings in the first update vid.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

The stretch goals add 3 more companions, it seems.

I guess I'm cynical but to me it's obvious they always planned to have more than 5 companions total but are teasing the rest out via stretch goals to increase funding. There's no way their original vision of the game had only enough companions to fill the roster. And I believe the party size is going to be 6 based on the whiteboard drawings in the first update vid.

Yeah well I'll believe it when they confirm it. Like I said this whole thing is starting to stink of bioware.

LordDenton

Augur
DRM Free: We are looking into it! Please check back for updates.

CQRkQ.jpg

UnknownBro

Savant
There is nothing inherently wrong with a player house, remember that castle management thingy-minigame in BG2?
Just because a couple of retarded developers did it wrong doesn't mean a player house it's the devil! Come on guys, let's focus on the good side of this ks! We are getting a another hopefully good RPG!
:yeah:

Stinger

Arcane
For example, unless the player house is the player stronghold and tied into the game, I don't care. I would rather see player stronghold that player house as a stretch goal but that might just be me.

That sounds far more interesting than something like a LARPy player house.

The player house is the only stretch goal that I dislike but turning it into a kind of upgradeable homebase similar to The Sink in Old World Blues and tying it to the storyline by giving you additional options in terms of choice (the easy approach would be just giving you consequences for whether you had or didn't have certain base upgrades but personally I'd love it if you could open up or close off whole new questlines such as basically running the town and resolving faction disputes or whatever) would make it a far more interesting feature and one worthy of the $2 million mark.

But this is clearly your idea Mr Davis so should I post this on the Obsidian forums later or leave it to you?

Anyway the other stretch goals seem ok, I'm especially interested in the 2.4 mill one with a whole new region and faction. I love Obsidian games for the faction quests and dealing with disputes with different approaches (This is especially why I loved FNV) so if they explore more of this kind of stuff I'd be all for it.

I gotta admit that I'm also starting to fall into the camp that's a little bugged by the BSN-esque pandering but I think I'll just finally get off my ass and register an account on the Obsidian forums rather than bitch about it here. As soon as exams are finished anyway.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I love how the biggest stretch goal at the moment includes the linux port, if Obsidian would've committed the platform from the beginning, wouldn't they have received even more money?

Although I am basically a bumbling neophyte when it comes to RPG designs and its depth of possibilities, these stretch goals would just about convince me to donate upwards of $1000.
  • The biggest addition I'd love to see, if this engine ends up being a variant of Onyx used in Dungeon Siege III, is to have modding tool/construction set released with generous amount of art assets.
  • I heard someone mention a designer who they would like to participate in the project, I would like to see that happen too.
  • If they include a house, then I hope they make it an important part of gameplay or even a story, not just there for aesthetic purposes.
    • for example, one can opt to charge your companions for stay at your house, thus affecting your influence with them, or one of your companions can even steal your items (as part of a quest/story)
  • Heck, why not go full out and include an airborne ship/dirigible for rest and travel.
  • A hunting range or arena where the party can test out their abilities and earn some coins in the process with a plethora of weapons they can either borrow or purchase.
  • A storefront where you can sell crafted items and raw materials (perhaps from the extension of your house).
  • A system where you can recruit well written and story critical companions, but also mercenary type characters or creatures that while is not critical to story path, can be customized to suit a party's needs.
Now they haven't revealed much in the way of gameplay, but I would love it if they at least considered some of these ideas. I'm just throwing them out there in anticipation of the possibilities.
  • In terms of real time with pause combat, it would be nice to have features and options to configure it to one's taste or tolerance levels, not the least of which being automatic pause conditions.
  • Inclusion of dwarves as a race, and having normal fantasy derived races are good, but enable hybrids between some races. And why not go to places where Planescape went, with fantastical unique creatures (confined to NPCs) or hybrids that defy normal conventions, in terms of shape, size, and interaction.
  • Description of nearby environment with text scroll would be cool and old school.
  • Some destructible (represented either in corresponding visuals or text), multiple level unique dungeons/landmarks
  • Lots of cool puzzles or riddles, both in affecting environment and dialogue.
  • Fast travel using narrative context and a reactive system of managing rest and random occurrences.
  • Ability to maim yourself when using a weapon out of his or her specialization, and permanent disability or death.
  • Timed restrictions for some quests for added urgency. At least some NPCs with time based simulation of activities.
  • Control mechanic where one could 'suggest' the behavior of a party according to their skills and preferences, and expanded influence system.
  • Make your companions greedy, they will sometimes not opt to share their loot with you, depending on influence.
  • No level scaling, secret locations that have extremely difficult encounters.
  • Randomized loot system that take into account that some rotten barrel out in the desert does not contain any gold
  • No CG cutscenes, quick time events.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
There is nothing inherently wrong with a player house, remember that castle management thingy-minigame in BG2?
Just because a couple of retarded developers did it wrong doesn't mean a player house it's the devil! Come on guys, let's focus on the good side of this ks! We are getting a another hopefully good RPG!
:yeah:

The house just makes everyone think of Skyrim. If they has said stronghold then it would all be groovy.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I love how the biggest stretch goal at the moment includes the linux port, if Obsidian would've committed the platform from the beginning, wouldn't they have received even more money?

Although I am basically a bumbling neophyte when it comes to RPG designs and its depth of possibilities, these stretch goals would just about convince me to donate upwards of $1000.
  • The biggest addition I'd love to see, if this engine ends up being a variant of Onyx used in Dungeon Siege III, is to have modding tool/construction set released with generous amount of art assets.
  • I heard someone mention a designer who they would like to participate in the project, I would like to see that happen too.
  • If they include a house, then I hope they make it an important part of gameplay or even a story, not just there for aesthetic purposes.
    • for example, one can opt to charge your companions for stay at your house, thus affecting your influence with them, or one of your companions can even steal your items (as part of a quest/story)
  • Heck, why not go full out and include an airborne ship/dirigible for rest and travel.
  • A hunting range or arena where the party can test out their abilities and earn some coins in the process with a plethora of weapons they can either borrow or purchase.
  • A storefront where you can sell crafted items and raw materials (perhaps from the extension of your house).
  • A system where you can recruit well written and story critical companions, but also mercenary type characters or creatures that while is not critical to story path, can be customized to suit a party's needs.
Now they haven't revealed much in the way of gameplay, but I would love it if they at least considered some of these ideas. I'm just throwing them out there in anticipation of the possibilities.
  • In terms of real time with pause combat, it would be nice to have features and options to configure it to one's taste or tolerance levels, not the least of which being automatic pause conditions.
  • Inclusion of dwarves as a race, and having normal fantasy derived races are good, but enable hybrids between some races. And why not go to places where Planescape went, with fantastical unique creatures (confined to NPCs) or hybrids that defy normal conventions, in terms of shape, size, and interaction.
  • Description of nearby environment with text scroll would be cool and old school.
  • Some destructible (represented either in corresponding visuals or text), multiple level unique dungeons/landmarks
  • Lots of cool puzzles or riddles, both in affecting environment and dialogue.
  • Fast travel using narrative context and a reactive system of managing rest and random occurrences.
  • Ability to maim yourself when using a weapon out of his or her specialization, and permanent disability or death.
  • Timed restrictions for some quests for added urgency. At least some NPCs with time based simulation of activities.
  • Control mechanic where one could 'suggest' the behavior of a party according to their skills and preferences, and expanded influence system.
  • Make your companions greedy, they will sometimes not opt to share their loot with you, depending on influence.
  • No level scaling, secret locations that have extremely difficult encounters.
  • Randomized loot system that take into account that some rotten barrel out in the desert does not contain any gold
  • No CG cutscenes, quick time events.

You need to take these ideas to the Obsidian board. With the exception (to me) of the crafting/storefront option they are all great.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
I am hoping they will have a house managment like they had in NWN 2 which was probably the high point of the game for me. As far as companions go it might be like in Fallouts that depending on your charisma you can get more npcs to join your party with a max of 5 or w/e. At least I hope its something like that rather then set party of 3 aka bioware.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Well that was... underwhelming. I have nothing against player house, treating it as base of operation, but other things? Damn, 5 companions in a base game, being spiritual successor of BG, ID and Torment, wtf? So after 2.2 mil $ there will be 8 companions? Why did they showed so many stretch goals at once, wouldn't be better announcing them one by one to create more excitement? Where's George Ziets goddamit?
Where are new languages? I want potato, after release they can easily sell 100K copies for nostalgic potatoes, who loved Infinity Games and then probably much, much more copies. Don't forget about potato!

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Fucking hell. They keep updating us with Biowarian LARP options and I'll likely pull my pledge. How incredibly disappointing.

:rpgcodex:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Damn, 5 companions in a base game, being spiritual successor of BG, ID and Torment, wtf? So after 2.2 mil $ there will be 8 companions?
Well, Torment only had seven companions, so I don't really see that as a problem as long as the writing is good and the characters are closer to Morte than Anomen. MotB also worked well with just handful of companions.

The player house seems to suggest that there's a system similar to NWN2 where those companions you don't take with you just sit on their asses doing nothing and still level up along the PC and her active party. I can't say I'd be a huge fan of that. It takes away some of the replay value if you can (or are forced to) take everyone with you. I guess the chances of having companion permadeath are pretty small as well.

Malpercio

Arcane
Stop flipping at every sigle thing. They know what they are doing.

It's MCA we are talking about, ffs.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
Still early but the initial signs look bad, on the bright side there are plenty of interesting projects out there, the LARPers can have this one if they want it so badly.

Also I don't think big parties are a must for real time with pause cluster fucks, if anything they make things worse.

Disappointing stretch goals to say the least... But I won't give up on them yet. Obviously they are catering to a "different" audience to get more money for their project, than if they were catering to people like us. Maybe that will help them make a better game for all of us in the end (because of more money).

Allanon

Augur
Disappointing stretch goals to say the least... But I won't give up on them yet. Obviously they are catering to a "different" audience to get more money for their project, than if they were catering to people like us. Maybe that will help them make a better game for all of us in the end (because of more money).

What does it even mean "people like us"? I'm perfectly fine with the stretch goals. More races, companions, factions, regions and story. What the fuck did anyone expect?
Fucking whiners :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom