Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Project Caesar - Paradox Tinto's New Game

None

Scholar
j122b5kkSHre8fzThR98htcNObjdyIE_I7he5798iZFOOuPo_DwYgAodHjharr02DsYlnhUftqOgbEfAZoW_iY-pzeZJIPWn70nunrf_RxJCBOfzxMtk09O2bSLzbozxYV1pjagvDQcOdtwcRjfweW0

A new subforum and weekly developer diaries has appeared over at Paradox's forums, constituting a soft announcement of their newest game: Project Caesar. We'll only get more information as time progresses, so I feel a new thread is warranted.

For the uninitiated:
- Paradox Tinto is a studio operating under Paradox Interactive, not to be confused with Paradox Development Studio. Johan Andersson is at the helm and it is based in Barcelona, with about 30 employees split between working on this game and EU4.
- The project name is part of an arbitrary naming scheme and unlikely to reflect anything about the game. Stellaris was Project Augustus, CK3 was Project Titus, etc.
- Development started in Q2 2020.

What are everyone's thoughts and expectations? Can Johan prove that he can still make good games? Will it suck more than recent releases from PDS? What's the deal with mana?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So this is verified, behind the scenes, as EU5, but also you can just look at it really.

Some of their improvements sound quite interesting but we'll see how they replace mana gathering and spending as the core gameplay loop.

man_at_arms

Literate
EU5 will be coming out? Great, it means that in 10 years from now I will finally be able to buy all 500 EU4 DLCs at 95% off so that I can actually play the game I paid for on release without having locked functionalities.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It is interesting how Johan openly shits and berates almost every design decision in his comments. Like, that idiotic circle with UI notifications from CK3 and V3 - he said he hates it with passion. Or how warfare will NEVER be like Victoria 3. It is like a nice spit in the face of incompetent fucks who failed the projects they were assigned to. Given recent failuers of victoria 3 it may give us hope that dev team could be fired or mnagement changes may happen to overhaul the game to a playable state.

thesecret1

Arcane
Given Johan's track record, I anticipate it to turn into Project Merlin with 10 different kinds of mana

It is interesting how Johan openly shits and berates almost every design decision in his comments. Like, that idiotic circle with UI notifications from CK3 and V3 - he said he hates it with passion. Or how warfare will NEVER be like Victoria 3. It is like a nice spit in the face of incompetent fucks who failed the projects they were assigned to. Given recent failuers of victoria 3 it may give us hope that dev team could be fired or mnagement changes may happen to overhaul the game to a playable state.
He himself is an incompetent fuck that openly championed casualization of their strategy titles. Fucking Imperator was his magnum opus

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Given Johan's track record, I anticipate it to turn into Project Merlin with 10 different kinds of mana

He himself is an incompetent fuck that openly championed casualization of their strategy titles. Fucking Imperator was his magnum opus
1709626157082.png

thesecret1

Arcane

1709626157082.png
I'll believe it when I see it. This seems too big a turnaround for a man who literally thought mana was the future and objectively superior design – I expect him to fill it with mana and then claim it's totally not that.

None

Scholar
This seems too big a turnaround for a man who literally thought mana was the future and objectively superior design – I expect him to fill it with mana and then claim it's totally not that.
He used to design plenty of games without it. I don't think it's that far fetched that there could be a potential return to form moment here but we'll just have to wait and see.

I think its still lame that Pdox insists in cylindrical maps in fucking 2024, rather than going with a proper simulated globe.
Terra fucking Invicta does it, and compared to Paradox, their budget is risible.

Looking like EUV here, EU IV is really long in the tooth by now, and that map doesn't give me HOI vibes.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I think its still lame that Pdox insists in cylindrical maps in fucking 2024, rather than going with a proper simulated globe.
Terra fucking Invicta does it, and compared to Paradox, their budget is risible.

Looking like EUV here, EU IV is really long in the tooth by now, and that map doesn't give me HOI vibes.
Terra Invicta has a simplistic as fuck political environment to be fair. Being global wastes a ton of screenspace, makes it harded to fiddle the map to make places like Venice visible, and so on. Tons of downsides. And there's not much use for going up or down in the time period either. I hate to defend Paradox, as everyone knows, but making a globe has very little gameplay value and lots of downsides.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Global map or not has nothing to do with budget. It isn't much harder to do from a technical point of view.

Screw global 3D maps, they are a PITA to navigate, PITA to read and add absolutely nothing to the gameplay.

Now... 2D maps that scroll vertically as well as horizontally? Sure, why not.
Doesn't really matter, though.

foxyscooter

Barely Literate
guys,this is EU5(or a similar name to be decided)...So far so good,I hope they put more American continent in the game like Victoria2(American Revolution,anyone?)...

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They shifted theirstart date a bit, maybe next game will be, like, REAL Victoria with slightly shifted time period. If design decisions would be welcomed and it would be clear that everyone want obvious things- controllable armies, pops etc. then route of Victoria 3 with taking everything from mobile games would be abandoned.

Johan:
The "this game focuses on this" was not how we originally created the series, and its not something I really agree with.

The process was like this.

1 - We want to make a strategy game in the set time period
2 - We copy another game we had made, and removed some features that did not fit perfectly the time period. Like when we did V1 I took the code of HoI1, and removed the factions system and the airunit system and some more.
3 - Invent some new features that was unique.

The main thing for our games is "this is a deeply replayable strateygame in a set historical time". (Yes, Stellaris is not an historical time, but for us it was "Space")

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
If you aren't a fan of mana and you like more mechanically interesting maps and you love population systems this game is *probably* a big improvement from Eu4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom