Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Privateer (Wing Commander)

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Privateer 1 seems to be regarded quite highly, but I'm not sure I think it's very good. The most interesting part of WC's combat, afterburner drifting, is locked off to you until you can buy a ship capable of the speed necessary for drifting. The cheapest chip, the Orion (which still takes about an hour of grinding from the beginning of the game to afford) isn't even capable of drifting. Maybe the game gets a lot better once you get a Centurion, but I haven't gotten there yet, and I don't get why the other ships are so bad. The first one, sure, it's bad on purpose. But the Orion is said to be the safest, most well-armored ship, yet unless you can afford all the shield upgrades it can support, it feels like a straight downgrade from the Tarsus. And once you're in that position, it's a lot harder to get enough money to upgrade the ship.

The easiest ways to make money seem like the most boring. Travelling from system to system means you'll run into tons of unavoidable enemy encounters, so it's easiest to just keep doing missions in the very first system until you're well-equipped enough to start pursuing the main plot. In fact, I've seen several people online making that exact suggestion to beginning players. You would think that the very first thing you'd do is join the Merchant's Guild and start doing their cargo runs, which always take you to other systems. But those only pay about 10,000 credits each, while a simple scouting or base defense mission can be done inside the same system and reward around 5,000 credits. When doing one of those cargo runs, you might have to travel through like 7 warp gates before reaching your destination; during that time, you'll be accosted by shit tons of pirates and retros. Unless you shelled out 30,000 credits for a repair bot prior, that means you'll almost certainly be taking damage to your ship components; when your shield generator is badly hit, you might as well call it quits right there. If you're especially unlucky, one of your components might even be destroyed, like your radar system, meaning you'll have to shell out 20,000 credits for a replacement. Already you're in the red badly for your 10,000 credit reward for completing the cargo run. You know you're not going to make it, so you dock at a planet or station, spend even more thousands of credits on repairing your ship, only to have the unpleasant revelation that docking anywhere cancels your cargo run mission; your cargo has mysteriously been jettisoned from your hold, and now you're in a hostile system with harder enemies and no credits. So the Merchant's Guild is a beginner's trap. It's better to trade and do easy patrol missions in the starting system.

I went back and played a little bit of Wing Commander 1 after another failure in Privateer. Despite WC1's choppier framerate, it still controls better and is generally more fun. An earlier space trading game, Space Rogue, I also think is superior by virtue of every station having unique NPCs that you can talk to and get unique missions. In Privateer there's just a bunch of generic bartenders who vaguely point you towards the main story, but Space Rogue has Ultima-style town exploration, with NPCs pointing you to different stations. In Privateer I got a tip from a bartender about a pirate base in a remote system; I flew over there excited hoping to ally with pirates and start doing something more exciting. But all you get is another faggot bartender giving you generic tips, except pirate flavored. The only thing that makes a pirate station different is the fact that you can buy contraband. Not even the visuals are different from the generic mining stations. All the pirates are hostile by default at the start of the game, and the only way to get on their good side is to kill bounty hunters, militia, or Confed troops, meaning you have to get on someone else's bad side. You'll be attacked by several pirate ships on your way to the base, of course, meaning unless you make an enemy of the Confederation and law enforcement, you cannot smuggle contraband; so what's the point of having the ability to jettison cargo to hide contraband from militia forces searching your ship? If I'm smuggling contraband then the militia are probably already hostile. That is unless I managed to get to the pirate base either by evading all of their ships and landing, which is retarded (why wouldn't they attack me when I land), or doing this retarded cheese tactic where you spam a single "I surrender" message to each individual pirate ship through the comms menu. Both are very sloppy solutions to being able to smuggle contraband on the down-low without waging war on the police, which you think would be an obvious thing I'd want to do roleplaying as a Han Solo kind of character (which the game encourages with its characterization of the protagonist).

I hear the sequel is very hated, but that might be bullshit. I mean, who cares if Spoony said a game is bad? That retard said Ultima Underworld 2 was bad and he didn't even get past the first level.

DesolationStone

Educated
Space Rogue
Space Rogue was literally the main inspiration for Wing Commander. I mean Paul Neurath (yes, THAT Paul Neurath) gave Roberts a lot of suggestions and advice on how to develop Wing Commander.
Speaking of Privateer, after playing Rebel Galaxy:Outlaw, which I discovered was literally a 1:1 remake of Privateer, I found the "original" game completely useless to play.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Lxa1pyX.png

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Privateer 2 has a plot, fighting and some trading. These are OK but after the plot is done, there was not much new things left to see or do, unless you wanted to grind for the most expensive ship (which you didn't need to finish the plot). But I played it over 20 years ago - I remember that I went in expecting a new Elite but it was over and everything visited before I got even in the mood.
Those were the days when Strike Commander got like 99/100 and 'the best thing ever' in gaming magazines, just for graphics, although Falcon 3.0 was the better sim.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not even the visuals are different from the generic mining stations

It says right in the manual that pirate bases are abandoned mining stations.

Privateer certainly has its flaws and difficulty is one of them. The difficulty in the starting system is reduced compared to the others which is why they tell you to spend time making some bank there before heading out, but you don't have to turtle down there forever if you don't want to, the Tarsus isn't completely helpless if you've upgraded the generator and guns. The endless enemy encounters though are what will eventually make you want to quit which I did right before I finished Righteous Fire since I had played Privateer from the start and just didn't want to mess with anymore enemies. The Orion requires some careful planning if you want to take advantage of max shields because they're a massive drain on your energy, usually it's best to keep the shield level somewhat lower than max. Overall most people will take the centurion for its best cockpit view and weapon layout. Also, while proton torpedos may hit really hard they require aiming, you're better off with autolocking missiles in most cases.

Once you've got some real guns on your ship most enemies die very quickly, it's just that you get stopped up on almost every nav point, it makes me wonder if that's why the game has the built in invulnerable cheat so you can just ignore them while you travel.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Yeah, I worked my way up to a Centurion and am having a pretty easy time now just working through the story missions. You can't be too hasty in switching out your Tarsus, because an upgraded Tarsus with a repair bot is still gonna be way better than any other ship without upgrades.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I spent a few hours on the Kilrathi border grinding missions to kill Kilrathi yet Confed is still hostile to me. I tried, but it looks like the life of the pirate is the life for me.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
As for the faction thing, if you stick with the game into Righteous Fire you can make everyone friendly again at one point.
Speaking of RF, it introduces new weapons and other miscellaneous upgrades for all ships. I kind of wish it could be backported into the original game.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Whose bright idea was it to put a hard as hell bossfight against an enemy who can practically instakill you right after a bunch of unskippable dialogue? Every time you die you have to jump back 3 systems and sit through the dialogue before you can try again. What a pain.

I also don't like how there's no real reward for shooting down most ships. In Space Rogue, you get some credits for every single hostile ship you shoot down, so combat never feels like a waste of time (for what little of Space Rogue I've played, at least). But in Privateer, shooting down the bounty hunters coming after me is going to earn me nothing but the further ire of the Confederation, so why bother? I just afterburn away from every enemy that isn't a Kilrathi, who I only keep killing in the probably vain hope that I'll be able to get back on Confed's good side. But even if I did earn credits, what would it get me? My ship is already maxed out and I don't think I'm even halfway through the story yet. There's nothing to really dump your cash on. In games like Mount & Blade or Sea Dogs, when you reach this level of financial security then there's other stuff to spend money on, like property and the like. Privateer doesn't have anything like that, so what's the point of money? It's not like I exploited my way into getting enough cash to max out my Centurion. I just played the game normally, without even doing stuff to optimize cash intake like optimal trading or smuggling.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Well, nevermind about not being halfway through the game. That was the last mission. I was, uh, expecting something a little more climactic, but I guess I was just carrying my expectations from the mainline Wing Commander series. But you don't even get a cutscene or anything. I didn't even realize it was the end until I went back to talk to the commander on a whim and he started telling me the credits. I checked the game's cluebook and confirmed it there.

I guess this means I'll have to retract some of my earlier criticism; I only started to get sick of it near the end. Can't believe it was really that short, though. Onwards to Righteous Fire, I guess. I hear that's got a pretty good story, so it ought to be an improvement over the base game.

EDIT: Also, I know I talked about that boss being annoyingly hard, but it was actually way too damn easy for the final fight of the entire game. Can't compare at all to the ball-busting frustration of WC1's expansions, nor the cinematic, climactic "cool factor" of WC2, 3, or 4. Gotta say, Privateer is the worst game in the series so far. I'd rather play Crusade again.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
The main storyline really is short, I think it makes a difference if you just stumble across it (like I did) versus seeking it out from the manual or a guide. Best of luck with RF, I quit on the very last mission because I simply couldn't take anymore dogfighting. Also, see if you can guess which character is voiced by Richard Garriott.

EDIT: Should also be obvious who was voicing Roman Lynch. :cool:

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
The main storyline really is short, I think it makes a difference if you just stumble across it (like I did) versus seeking it out from the manual or a guide. Best of luck with RF, I quit on the very last mission because I simply couldn't take anymore dogfighting. Also, see if you can guess which character is voiced by Richard Garriott.
Unfortunately, I patched out the voice acting with a hexedit, so I won't be able to hear Garriott's Shakespearian performance. I'm sure it's something, if his performances in Ultima Underworld and Serpent Isle are anything to go by.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom