Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Paul_cz

Arcane

That was a great interview. Both guys likeable and clearly talented. I really hope the low sales of Prey and Dishonored 2 won't make Zenimax close Arkane. If anything, I would not mind seeing their own Fallout spin-off, co-written by Avellone. If we can't have Obsidian doing it, at least Arkane.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
We have bioshock features here: The psychoscope works like the photographic camera in bioshock 1, and you scan enemies to discover their weaknesses and unlock their powers
Didn't SS2 have a similar mechanic where you researched enemy body parts to get new implants?
From what I recall, it was mostly just for extra damage (or in the case of annelid glands, you could consume them for health), there was only one implant from a body part (wormheart?). It was also based on character skill more than player skill, whether you could research - and the length of time it took - was based on your Research skill level, and then you right clicked some chemicals at the appropriate times when progress halted.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/118906-prey-reviews-2.html

PC Gamer - 79/100:

Unfortunately, some sidequests don't quite land, and for a variety of reasons. One—a pretty lengthy revenge tale—just sort of ends, and in some potentially silly ways. Another—this time based around a difficult moral choice, with fairly heavy emotional stakes for both Yu and another survivor—was entirely undercut by having a separate character call in about a critical objective. Repositioning to hear what the caller was saying, I accidentally triggered yet another character's dialogue. In the end, four people were talking over each other about different missions and I was forced to reload and try again.

Many of Prey's issues are a consequence of its broad range of options. Attempting to cater to a variety of play styles is laudable, but also means that Prey isn't as good a stealth game as Dishonored, nor as good a combat game as BioShock. But while the individual parts have problems, Prey is nonetheless greater than the sum of them. Prey is worth playing, mostly thanks to the strength of Talos-I as a setting, and the excellent environment design. It's fun to explore, full of interesting stories, and also looks and sounds great. Frequently, Prey's strengths build to create a tense and compelling atmosphere. And then it usually undermines it all with yet another goddamn Mimic.

Polygon - 8.5/10:

Arkane has the confidence to let Prey end on its own terms, even if it occasionally leans too heavily on its least interesting aspects. When it looks most like a shooter, Prey is merely competent. But as a mystery, a deep space haunted house with dozens of stories of tragedy and humanity to tell, Prey is a remarkably successful archaeological expedition — and it manages to compellingly ruminate on what it means to be.

IGN - 4/10:

If the PC version of Prey hadn’t become completely unplayable from crashes and save-game corruption just as it was hitting its stride, I’d have called it a very good or perhaps even great game. Its strange alternate-history universe, sidequests, hidden threats, and detailed environmental storytelling make Talos I a joy to explore, one that’s well worth slogging through combat that doesn’t feel fresh enough to sustain it throughout a long game. But there’s little so frustrating in a game in which you’ve invested dozens of hours as having your progress wiped out or blocked before the end, and my time with Prey concluded so poorly that I can’t in good conscience recommend you risk hitting the same game-breaking bug I did.
The Sixth Axis - 8/10:

Writing over our memories of the Prey that preceded it, Arkane Studios’ game is something new and yet strikingly familiar. There’s a great deal of kinship to the likes of Bioshock, Half-Life and other classic games, but it’s also broader and more expansive in what it tries to do. Regardless of its flaws and similarities, Prey manages to be an enthralling science fiction adventure.

PCWorld - 4/5:

With Prey, Arkane cements itself heir to the immersive sim. Dishonored reinvented the genre, particularly the Thief branch. By contrast Prey feels very old—it’s precisely the System Shock 3 successor Arkane pitched it as.

The mastery is no less apparent though. Sure, it doesn’t add much to the ol’ audiolog/email/locked room paradigm pioneered by its predecessors, nor does it reinvent the space station, but Prey and Talos I are so well-constructed I honestly don’t care. You’re given systems, you’re given spaces, you’re given a goal, and how you exploit the former to accomplish the latter is a source of so many surprises in Prey it makes up for the overfamiliar setting and story.

CGMagazine - 6/10:

Rote may be the best word to describe the whole package of Prey, really. I would’ve liked to see more done with the concept and setting, considering I’m a fan of literally everything this game is trying to do. Instead, I came away with a feeling that the developers weren’t confident enough to fully commit to an original idea. Instead, they played it safe by taking elements from other, better games, then not expanding upon them in any meaningful way. Outside of the weird physics, Prey isn’t a particularly broken game, but it is a boring, derivative, and unoriginal one. Through the fifteen-hour slog and between endless sessions of backtracking, I began to question why the game exists at all. After all, it’s doing things that have been done before, done better, and done in titles that can be had for far less than the sixty-dollar price tag.

If talent borrows and genius does indeed steal, then Prey is arguably a masterstroke of genius. But sadly, it is the furthest thing from a demonstration of talent.

TrustedReviews - 4/5:

Arkane has delivered some outstanding gameplay here, but the story is inconsistent. If you read emails and books littered across Talos 1, there's something of intrigue here, but the actual narrative told directly to the player will leave you wanting significantly more.

I thoroughly recommend Prey, particularly to those who even remotely enjoyed Dishonored or BioShock – there's plenty here that will attract attention. It's a great game.

USGamer - 4/5:

Prey is a collection of past influences - a bit of System Shock here, some Bioshock there, a bit of Dead Space - but the whole is something we don't get very much these days. With the twisting halls of Talos I, Prey gives you meaningful choices in your abilities, as the level design challenges you to find interesting ways forward. The game falters in combat, but overall, Prey is a wonderful love letter some older titles that are sorely missed.

PlayStationLIfeStyle - 9/10:

Arkane Studios has another hit on their hands in the form of Prey. Some minor bugs aside, this is a horror fan’s dream come true. Prey may appear to be a first-person shooter on the surface, but there’s an RPG hidden just underneath its shiny graphics. You have the freedom to approach Prey in any way you desire, and it’s unlikely any two players will have the same experience. With an intriguing story, impressive ambiance, and challenging gameplay, Prey is a must-own game that has found a unique take on psychological horror in game form.

DualShockers - 8.5/10:

No matter what weapons you use or powers you inject yourself with, Prey does a brilliant job of letting you access everything it has to offer no matter what. And while this should always be applauded, at this point, this is an expected staple of an Arkane game: the whole “play it your way” mentality is an overruling game design principle. Combine this with choices throughout the game that effect the narrative and you have a final product that not only has a healthy slab of 20-40 hours of content, but decent replayability as well.

Prey often feels like mash-up of some of the best sci-fi survival horror games of yesteryear and Arkane’s previous work. And it is. But it also is a title with some wildly unique ideas, an incredibly thick and unnerving atmosphere, and an exemplary soundtrack.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The funny thing is that most people I actually talk to that have played the game praise it, even if it varies from "It's amazing!" to "It's not perfect, but it's good"; the former by more inexperienced gamers and the latter by people that can actually make comparisons to things like Deus Ex and System Shock 2 and so on.

I can't see any reason for the shit-tier reviews from some of the big brand reviewers other than them being tremendously assblasted over not being favoured anymore. People sometimes bitch about Day 1 Patches and I get it, I prefer it back when the discs were shipped and games were actually done, but if there's one benefit of the new age of digital distribution, it's actually that development can continue up to and after release day, and there is no longer any reason whatsoever why big-media giants with faceless reviewers you know nothing about, with so much corruption up their own asshole it's a chore to just sort out the connections, should be favoured over a random YouTuber with a personal connection to his viewers and with a lot more credibility based on a very transparent review history.

I hope they don't cave, but just keep telling them to fuck themselves. Their scores mean nothing. Less than nothing, and ever less for each passing day.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The funny thing is that most people I actually talk to that have played the game praise it, even if it varies from "It's amazing!" to "It's not perfect, but it's good"; the former by more inexperienced gamers and the latter by people that can actually make comparisons to things like Deus Ex and System Shock 2 and so on.

I can't see any reason for the shit-tier reviews from some of the big brand reviewers other than them being tremendously assblasted over not being favoured anymore. People sometimes bitch about Day 1 Patches and I get it, I prefer it back when the discs were shipped and games were actually done, but if there's one benefit of the new age of digital distribution, it's actually that development can continue up to and after release day, and there is no longer any reason whatsoever why big-media giants with faceless reviewers you know nothing about, with so much corruption up their own asshole it's a chore to just sort out the connections, should be favoured over a random YouTuber with a personal connection to his viewers and with a lot more credibility based on a very transparent review history.

I hope they don't cave, but just keep telling them to fuck themselves. Their scores mean nothing. Less than nothing, and ever less for each passing day.
If sales are indeed shit, for a second game in a row, then Bethesda will most likely change the direction of the studio.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There's definitely something fishy going on with some reviews, and certainly reeks of childish activism.
It is as if they are forcing themselves to find shortcomings and then they proceed to enlarge them. Complaining about game being derivative and unoriginal whereas that same complaint is infinitely more suited to another Ubisoft open world, another CoD inspired cinematic shooter, another Uncharted copycat... And, of course, same complaint isn't made in those cases.
Whining about specific technical issues on one's PC build to a point where they have major impact on the score, even tho same issues aren't experienced by most players. And that coming from same sites and publications who are infamous for downplaying or altogether ignoring technical issues in AAA titles even when they are widespread and extremely crippling (aforementioned PS3 version of Skyrim).

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Watching the videos, why can't you aim with sights with weapons? It's all hip shooting?

The shooting itself looks terrible in every way.

Divinity: Original Sin
Blows my mind that there are people on the codex (of all places) who don't know how to deactivate the quest markers. It is the first thing I did whenever I got a new mission. Come on
Darth Slaughter.

Later via patch there will be added central option to disable them altogether so it does not have to be done manually each time.

Avellone also wrote some side characters. In the credits, he and Colantonio are credited under "Written by" and then there are about 6 more people in "Additional writing".

The game is written very well.

Well, that was what I fear. It bothers me MORE if I have to fucking turn it off on the quest menu every time I get a new quest. I want a more permanent solution.

I remember that dishonored 1 had the option to disable them altogether, but in the in game menu I could deactivate the markers. I used it for a couple of missions in that game but it was really pissing me off. On the 3rd mission I looked in the options to permanently deactivate them. The point is that in dishonored, the option to turn off the markers in the quest menu was clear. In Prey, the first thing I did was going directly to the options menu and I didn't look anymore.

Latelistener

Arcane
Seeing some of the tweets Raf liked on twitter, I'd say he's pretty butthurt about IGN. :lol:
That's understandable, but then again, he is in gamedev for many years, he should know that most of the gaming press is only good as a fuel for bioreactors. Even this game is hard for them. I'm not even dreaming about resurrecting SS2 or Deus Ex anymore. They won't be able to play it at all (but still give it 1/10).

Last edited:

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Finished it on hard, had fun with it. Took me almost 30 hours of slow exploration. Although last 2 hours i've spent mostly running back and forth between locations and not trying to fight with respawning baddies. When it comes to the scarity of resources, I've felt it in the first half of the gameplay, I was trying to conserve ammo and medikits. But after the ~15 hour mark i had 80-100 shotgun shells in the backpack and even more ammunition for pistol.

The level design is top notch, atmosphere is okay, there could be a few more types of enemies and some more guns or other ways of killing stuff (i was playing without alien powers so maybe that would shake things up). 0 gravity sections are really well done and in the AAA-gaming enviroment they felt like a really risky feature to implement.

Great game overall. I don't feel the need to replay it anytime soon but it was fun ride while it lasted. And it will be fucking sad if Bethesda will not allow Arkane to make more this type of games in the future. :(

SumDrunkGuy

Why are there so many homosexuals aboard the space station? Coincidence?
Are there more than 2? It never came across to me as forced, though. Slightly off, maybe.

I'm playing as female Morgan and I read some docs about her having a "relationship" with somebody named Mikeila. Either that's an unfortunate dude with asshole parents or our protagonist is a rug muncher.

So if I'm right that would make 4, but I could have misread something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul_cz

Arcane
I'm playing as female Morgan and I read some docs about her having a "relationship" with somebody named Mikeila. Either that's an unfortunate dude with asshole parents or our protagonist is a rug muncher.

Morgan has had brief relationship with Mikhaila Ilyushin regardless of gender player chooses. It is not exactly super surprising they did not change the character to Mikhail in case player picks a female Morgan.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Is that IGN review a goddamn joke? He rated it 4/10 because of a savegame corruption that is happening to maybe 1 out of a 1000 customers if even?
He wants to be a fucking professional and this is all he bases his rating on?

I mean its IGN and theyve always been assclowns, but this is a new lowlow. Hopefully this will cost them some readers.

Gesendet von meinem ALE-L21 mit Tapatalk

SumDrunkGuy

Morgan has had brief relationship with Mikhaila Ilyushin regardless of gender player chooses. It is not exactly super surprising they did not change the character to Mikhail in case player picks a female Morgan.

Which begs the question, why does Arkane hate male homosexuals? Somebody present this info to Polygon asap!

Fargus

Arcane

They just had to force lesbian romantic story into the plot, make the whole station a multicultural clusterfuck and kinda gynocentric as well. But fuck that, obviously been done for progressive points.

The game itself is good, i really enjoyed my playthrough. Prey will most likely flop in sales if it already didn't. Just look at the forums and see how many idiots say that this game is too hard for them lol. I for one want this game to be harder, with more limited resources, because you eventually ending up with too much goodies if you properly explore the game. Can even manufacture neuro trainers if you get the blueprint.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Morgan Yu bathroom is different based on Morgan's gender (that social construct ... blablabla)

Male Morgan
Attetion+to+detail+prey+2017+male+morgan+yu_d7dd14_6262508.jpg

Female Morgan
Attetion_2a9a40_6262508.jpg

This attention to details is staggering. Do you feel immersed? DO YOU ??? :)

Last edited:

duke nukem

Augur
Are there more than 2? It never came across to me as forced, though. Slightly off, maybe.

Most likely were just too lazy to change few lines of text.

There was also some gay dudes in shuttle bay(?).

So 4 yet, all of them fall to typical lesbian writing clichè, where they either die or relationship ends or both.
Is that IGN review a goddamn joke? He rated it 4/10 because of a savegame corruption that is happening to maybe 1 out of a 1000 customers if even?
He wants to be a fucking professional and this is all he bases his rating on?

I mean its IGN and theyve always been assclowns, but this is a new lowlow. Hopefully this will cost them some readers.

Gesendet von meinem ALE-L21 mit Tapatalk
That kind of corruption should never ever happen. Especially short game like this. I would understand if the whole station would be simulated, but no. I have seen 2 streamers having save bug that prevented saving and i also had this. Considering i have watched 4 streamers more than 20 minutes, save problems are quite common.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It is so common that it is barely even mentioned on steam forums or in user reviews. We know how these things tend to work on Steam, heck if even 5-10% of players experienced something like that, place would be crawling with negativity. I feel for those who experienced it, but common occurrence it certainly isn't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom