Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pretty good Oblivion review at Gamebanshee...

Prime Junta

This leads me to think that Bethsoft made a strategic decision with Oblivion to grab a much younger playing audience which needs more hand-holding. It stands to reason: they have a captive market of older players from earlier titles, so they can concentrate on increasing revenues among pre-teens and early teens. I’ll be the first to admit this is complete speculation on my part, but there’s nothing speculative about the dumbing down of the ES series at this point. It looks beautiful, it has many of the thrills of yore, but it seems to be aiming—not for the kid in me, but for the nine-year-old kid down the block who has to be told in advance precisely where the cave he’s seeking in Cyrodil is, and what to do and how to do it when you’re told to locate an artifact in it. Pardon my lack of enthusiasm.

More here:

[ http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/soft ... ivion1.php ]

Perhaps the initial rush is dying down, and more sober views are coming to prevail. It would be a good thing if publishers realized that bling alone is not enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom