Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prepackaged Daggerfall Betony Demo

Psilon

Erudite
If you fast travel Cautiously to towns, you'll always arrive while the gates are open.

Towns don't care if you're wandering around swinging a sword unless you "accidentally" hit someone. Then people will take an interest. Wandering villagers, however, don't like talking to people at swordpoint; sheathe your weapon before asking directions.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Fez said:
Why would you need Dosbox for Fallout? It works fine for me with XP.

No it doesn't. Anything time dependent is fucked up, such as using a tool to temporaily disable the force fields or viewing the ending cutscenes.

Fez

Erudite
Weird. I could be wrong then, it has been a while and now you've mentioned that I can't be so sure. I was sure I had played Fallout on XP. I know I played Fallout 2 on XP.

denizsi

Arcane
elander_ said:
I never tried it myself but microsoft has a free virtual machine you can download here:

Microsoft's VM sucks for me. Beside the lack of control over finer details of a virtual machine, it also lags horribly and is a system hog.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I can play both Fallout and Fallout 2 in XP. All I get is the blackout every ten minutes or so, but all you have to do is open the character screen or something and it fixes pretty fast.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have replayed Fallout and Fallout 2 at least twice with no problems at all with Windows XP. I do have an Intel CPU and chipset don't know if that matters. I set the Windows 95 compatibility on the shortcut to the executable. I DO have to set the sound acceleration to OFF in DXDIAG, otherwise the cut scenes at the end fly by in like 2 seconds. :D

I also seem to be able to play older games (Such as System Shock 1) with only minor tweaking. It may be my Intel CPU and chipset? *shrugs*

Mr Happy

Scholar
mirrorshades said:
Combat is kind of goofy, you have to hold the right mouse button down while swinging the mouse back and forth.

Actually, I really liked Daggerfall's combat. Probably my favorite RT combat in an RPG (not that impressive of an achievement, but it definately trumps the other ES. Getting used to it takes a bit of practice, but I loved pulling off different moves based on direction of swing, which I much prefer to clicking madly. Also, it was nice how different attacks (stab, horizantal/vertical slash etc.) actually had advantages and drawbacks.

mirrorshades

Liturgist
Once you get used to it, it's okay. I ran into some difficulty, too, when using the mouse-based movement. Remembering to release the right mouse button in order to move around during combat isn't extremely intuitive.

The different attack types are neat though, especially with different weapons.

Mr Happy

Scholar
You mean mouse look? I never used that for some reason. I'm sure the turning speed would have been a bit faster, but eh.

mirrorshades

Liturgist
Mr Happy said:
You mean mouse look? I never used that for some reason. I'm sure the turning speed would have been a bit faster, but eh.
Ok, yeah, that's what they called it. Makes the movement more like a FPS -- if you're familiar with that kind of thing. A little easier for the looking up and down stuff.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ahzaruuk said:
I'll give this a try, just to see if I can handle old school style games.

If not, then I guess I suck.

If you don't like it that doesn't have to mean anything. Daggerfall is very different from other old school style games.

Buuut you suck anyway! :P

Hazelnut

Erudite
Jasede said:
Ahzaruuk said:
I'll give this a try, just to see if I can handle old school style games.

If not, then I guess I suck.

If you don't like it that doesn't have to mean anything. Daggerfall is very different from other old school style games.

That it is!

Whenever I've tried to get back into DF over the last 5-6 years I find it's the control scheme, not the graphics etc, that is the main obstacle to my enjoyment. I never did complete the game when it came out and I've always wanted to but wsad is programmed in so deep in my brain apparently. One day I'll get a large amount of free time, and hopefully there will be a PC in the retirement home that'll run the game, and I'll play through with my arthritic hands that couldn't do wsad anymore anyway. :P

Jormungandr

Liturgist
Well, I never expected to see my stuff being advertised over here, very nice!

First off, do realise that the Betony demo, like most all demos, has recieved none of the patches and bug squashing that the full game was made mostly stable with. So it's bound to croak. repeatedly. So just be patient with it, and skipping the intro video, while being a well done video, is sound advice for stability's sake.

As I'm sure you've noticed, that copy of DOSbox has the cycles set to auto, so you really shouldn't have to fumble around with that too much. But let me tell you that the cycles=auto function sucks hard compared to the timesynched function present in the CVS builds. Namely the version Mirrorshades linked to, which I will repeat: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/cvs/frame.html

With timesynched, all you do is set the cycles super high (like 50,000) and set timesynched to true. Then the game will run nigh perfectly, assuming your system has what it takes to run DOSbox well in the first place. That has been my experience to be the best way to run Daggerfall.

Elwro said:
I tried to play Daggerfall on Dosbox since 0.63 and with 0.7 I still get the same problems. Namely: I can't jump, which is significant, and I cant walk backwards and turn simultanously.
Does anyone know how to enable jumping?
This might be a dumb question, but are you sure you are actually running the game through DOSbox? These sound like typical WinXP issues with the game.

Anyhow, there are other DF files on my filefront page. Mostly gameplay footage, video walkthroughs, etc. Check it out.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jormungandr said:
This might be a dumb question, but are you sure you are actually running the game through DOSbox? These sound like typical WinXP issues with the game.
Yes, I'm sure :D. It also puzzles me that the game plays the same as if I ran it by pure XP with VDMSound - exactly similar problems.

I'll try the CVS build, then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom