Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Precursors worth 7 and half freedom monies?

Bruticis

I noticed the Precursors is on sale at beamdog for $7.50 and I'm quite tempted to grab it (would rather get it on Gamersgate but not at full price). I know the game is buggy and unfinished as hell but I'm kind intrigued to see what it's like. I assume Wesp's patch works on the non commie version now? Anyone have any thoughts on this steaming pile of possible mediocre-ness?

ortucis

Prophet
No. It's broken. If you like a lagging stuttering game with shitty translation, missing sounds to missing dialogues.. then sure, go ahead.

EDIT: Gamplaywise, from what I have endured (6-7 hrs) 2-3 months ago, was fun. It's a mix of Mass Effect and Boiling Point. Also, no official support and a long wait for fan patches. Maybe worth picking up in a year or two when the patches are done.

Bruticis

But what about the alien dick gun????

Precursors_2009-03-30_13-00-13-66.jpg

Flanged

Scholar
I liked it for quite a while but then just stopped playing and have never felt a need to go back. Wesp's patch fixes a ton, but you also need to re-add all the sounds that the Gamersgate version had ripped out of it for no good reason. It's a bit of a process to get it up and running the way the Russians got to play it (only with English subs, obviously) but I'd say it's worth it. Tons of missions and side-quests and stuff to do, a pretty unique atmosphere (or several), and some pretty beautiful design. Loads of sci-fi cliches, though (mostly from good sci-fi like Dune, but still) and the FPS shooting isn't much fun.

This thread'll help you decide if it's worth getting, and has a guide to fixing the sounds and sticking Wesp's fix/translation on it a couple of pages in. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/ ... 015.0.html

Baddygoal

Educated
If it drops to $5, grab it!

The whole point of playing a Deep Shadows game (Boiling Point, White Gold, The Precursors) is to experience the epic bugs, unfinished translation and the general mountain of lulz, so I'd say play it unpatched, or with the bare minimum patches needed for it to run without crashing.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing with the 20.4.2011 1.4 patch. Thumbs up from me. Shotgun could be more powerful, starting can be tricky, I went off on foot into the desert and quickly learn what death on two legs is.

Is it me or is the shotgun really shitty compared to the rifle?

Due to the incompatibility issues, suggest you 'demo' the game first.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Game is insanely ambitious and succeeds for quite a bit in what it aims to do. English release was utter shit though. Bad voice overs, missing sounds, shit translation. Wesp (from Bloodlines fame) however made a fan patch for the Russian version that included a good translation. Before you had to do quite a complicated install to get all the sounds, the Russian VO's and Wesp's translation but the latest official patch includes Wesp's translation and other fixes and you can download the additional Russkie sounds as well.

All in all, it's worth it now. More even. How many games have space combat, trading, planet exploration and gunfights? Like I said, the game is insanely ambitious.

EDIT: Shit, he just released a new version of his fanpatch. Check it out.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthre ... 03&t=13222
http://www.patches-scrolls.de/precursors.php#tp14

baronjohn

Cipher
Something confuses me in this game. Items have no owners? I can just take ANYTHING? Including buggies and helicopters? There's no karma or such?

Is this like that thing Marx was talking about?

Raapys

Arcane
They're virtual characters, they don't have rights and they don't own anything.

But yeah, cool, buggy and unfinished game. Could have used another year or so in QA and fleshing out some features, at which point it would have been great.

Klaz

Scholar
The space sim parts are similar to Freelancer (Simpler in some aspects, more complex in others). Ground play is like an improved version of Boiling Point (You don't have to walk as much distance since all the planets are smaller in size, you have a safe place to stash loot in your ship, dead NPCs don't respawn, stealth is MUCH better, and there are actual mutually exclusive quests)

I'd say it's worth it. This is the first "Open ended Space Sim and actually explore planets on foot" type game since the Mercenary trilogy for the Atari ST.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
How are the missions compared to White Gold? Are there only lulzy talking, fed ex driving and killing missions?

baronjohn

Cipher
How do I use "quest items" in this game? In Precursors I've got some explosives to blow up some trucks but I can't figure out how to make it happen. Can't drop them, can't equip them, can't move them to the truck's inventory?? Likewise in White Gold I have a diving tank that I have to use in the main quest, but I couldn't figure out how to equip it either. HELP

Klaz

Scholar
baronjohn said:
How do I use "quest items" in this game? In Precursors I've got some explosives to blow up some trucks but I can't figure out how to make it happen. Can't drop them, can't equip them, can't move them to the truck's inventory?? Likewise in White Gold I have a diving tank that I have to use in the main quest, but I couldn't figure out how to equip it either. HELP

For the Precursors, you need to find the spot where the explosives would be placed in the trucks and interact with it (It should be marked with a transparent image of the explosives).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom