Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Precinct - Police Quest spiritual successor by Jim Walls

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Well, most of these wannabe comeback kids don't really have any talent. Jim Walls and the Coles were very obviously products of the era. Anything they make these days will be a mismanaged shitshow and ultimately disappointing.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
A fuckshit like this calling those people "kids" deserves to be dumbfucked on the spot.

And hey, yeah, he got a 50% chance of being right. He might have guessed it, what a genius.

I don't know how he was right, though. So far they still seem to be carrying on, with a lot less money than DF and with a game that has a larger scope, if only because of the RPG element.

Stabwound

Arcane
"Comeback kid" is a term; he's not literally calling them kids, jesus.

Can we at least be honest here and admit that this reeks of an old Sierra grandpa trying to jump on the kickstarter bandwagon like his peers? Exactly what credentials does this guy have besides having a hand in designing PQ1-3 25 years ago? Is there any prominent Sierra figure that hasn't jumped on this yet besides Roberta Williams? I can almost feel her volition to stay away from adventure games shaking from here.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
He did also work on Blade Runner in 1997. Just to note.

But I do agree - the concept seems weak here. And the reward tiers are a goddamned cluster fuck of tom-fuckery. Who organized this Kickstarter? Did they not look at others? Did they not go out the forums where their fans might lurk and see what they think? $30 for a digital copy? I can get a digital blowjob for $30, thank you.

Bt

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's a shame though because I really want a new Jim Walls adventure game.

And maybe I'm in the minority here but I'm okay with all the "comeback kids" hopping on the KS bandwagon -- because that means they get a chance of doing a new game, which I'm really excited about. Even though I do know half of these projects are probably going to suck, I'm still okay with giving them a chance.

I just wish it was $15-20 for a digital copy. Oh well, I've pledged anyway.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I'm more excited about SWAT Spiritual Successor than this thanks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, they added a tier:

New reward
We've heard a lot of feedback about the $30 reward tier, and it's clear that the fans are looking for more. So we're excited to introduce a new $29 reward tier with additional rewards that will automatically become available to all of our $30 backers.

As a $29 backer you will receive a digital copy of Precinct with exclusive "VIP Backer Status". As a VIP Backer, you will be sent a unique passkey which grants you access to all "VIP Backer Only" areas of www.precinctgame.com (the website will launch after the Kickstarter). VIP Backers will also receive exclusive content in the final release of Precinct.

"VIP Backer Only" Website Areas Include:
- Sneak peeks of the game (screenshots and video clips)
- Private VIP Backer Message Board
- Exclusive webcasts and chats with Jim and his team during development
- Help develop Precinct by voting on critical design and production decisions

Exclusive Bonus Content Includes:
- Vintage Police Cruiser
- Additional Weapons
- Police Computer Upgrade
- Special Undercover Mission

This tier is meant to replace the $30 tier, and all $30 tier backers (and above) will receive everything in this $29 tier.

We are listening to backers and will continue to evaluate the tiers/rewards. Thanks again for all the feedback!

I guess they realize they fucked up and are trying to prepare the ground before creating a cheaper digital tier? Because I'm not sure this will be enough.

Name

Cipher
Well, they added a tier:

New reward
We've heard a lot of feedback about the $30 reward tier, and it's clear that the fans are looking for more. So we're excited to introduce a new $29 reward tier with additional rewards that will automatically become available to all of our $30 backers.

As a $29 backer you will receive a digital copy of Precinct with exclusive "VIP Backer Status". As a VIP Backer, you will be sent a unique passkey which grants you access to all "VIP Backer Only" areas of www.precinctgame.com (the website will launch after the Kickstarter). VIP Backers will also receive exclusive content in the final release of Precinct.

"VIP Backer Only" Website Areas Include:
- Sneak peeks of the game (screenshots and video clips)
- Private VIP Backer Message Board
- Exclusive webcasts and chats with Jim and his team during development
- Help develop Precinct by voting on critical design and production decisions

Exclusive Bonus Content Includes:
- Vintage Police Cruiser
- Additional Weapons
- Police Computer Upgrade
- Special Undercover Mission

This tier is meant to replace the $30 tier, and all $30 tier backers (and above) will receive everything in this $29 tier.

We are listening to backers and will continue to evaluate the tiers/rewards. Thanks again for all the feedback!

I guess they realize they fucked up and are trying to prepare the ground before creating a cheaper digital tier? Because I'm not sure this will be enough.

Good. they really need to add a cheep tier for cheap people like me who are not sold on the pitch, like $15~20?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree they need to add a $15-20 tier or just restart the campaign after doing their homework. There's nothing bad about that, and quite a few KS campaigns succeeded after giving it a second, better try (Telepath Tactics, for example).

Seriously, how hard was it to study other successful adventure game KS campaigns to work out the tiers? Esp. when your KS page boasts Robert Lindsley as, like, experienced producer.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
It's hilarious that he's like

JIM WALLS IS BACK

BUT HE NEEDS YOUR HELP

TO MAKE

A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER

Stabwound

Arcane
19 x 2500 is still not even $50,000 or not even 10% of their goal. God, what a disaster.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Backed it. Will this be the first failed project that I back?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I really don't understand these limited 'early bird' tiers. Isn't EVERY level of a Kickstarted project an early bird tier?
Why penalize people who are going to back your project, because they didn't back it early?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They don't even know how to collect money.

:lol:

A user named cat

PNvKoCb.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I really don't understand these limited 'early bird' tiers. Isn't EVERY level of a Kickstarted project an early bird tier?
Why penalize people who are going to back your project, because they didn't back it early?

Answer: It's a way of making the Kickstarter seem more affordable than it actually is. "See, the minimum price to get the game is 20 dollars, not 30 dollars! CHEAP! Oh, you missed it? That's your fault, not ours!"

Psychology.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Answer: It's a way of making the Kickstarter seem more affordable than it actually is. "See, the minimum price to get the game is 20 dollars, not 30 dollars! CHEAP! Oh, you missed it? That's your fault, not ours!"

Psychology.
Oh, you asked for half a million and only get a quarter?
Marketing!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom