Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Precedent Set by Court, Sale of Used Video Games...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sounds like a problem for poor people.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Metro said:

Are you ignorant?

It's not a problem for poor people. It's a problem for gamers. Essentially, this ruling is basically giving the potential for video game companies to tell you what to do with your purchased product.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DragoFireheart said:
Essentially, this ruling is basically giving the potential for video game companies to tell you what to do with your purchased product.

You've confused me with one of these people with a theoretical hang-up over game ownership. I'm not one of them. Assuming one waits for inevitable sales/drops to reasonable prices (assuming one buys them at all which is questionable at best here) I don't view them as significant investments when most people pay in excess of $1,000/month for mobile phone bills and various other leisure expenditures.

Is it an interesting/troubling issue in theory? I suppose. Will it actually have a practical impact on my life and spending habits? Not really. So long as prices are reasonable it is immaterial to me if what I'm purchasing is only an 'extended rental.' If prices are unreasonable I wouldn't buy it in the first place regardless of ownership rights.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Metro said:
And for people who want to buy a full version of a game after it went OOP and only digital/DVDbox version is available.

Zeus

Cipher
Metro said:

That's incredibly shortsighted of you.

It's a problem for just about everyone.

Topher

Cipher
Metro said:
DragoFireheart said:
Essentially, this ruling is basically giving the potential for video game companies to tell you what to do with your purchased product.

You've confused me with one of these people with a theoretical hang-up over game ownership. I'm not one of them. Assuming one waits for inevitable sales/drops to reasonable prices (assuming one buys them at all which is questionable at best here) I don't view them as significant investments when most people pay in excess of $1,000/month for mobile phone bills and various other leisure expenditures.

Is it an interesting/troubling issue in theory? I suppose. Will it actually have a practical impact on my life and spending habits? Not really. So long as prices are reasonable it is immaterial to me if what I'm purchasing is only an 'extended rental.' If prices are unreasonable I wouldn't buy it in the first place regardless of ownership rights.

The case could represent a change in not only copyright law but in ownership law as well and that could affect every aspect of commerce.

Zeus

Cipher
"We need to stop the sale of used games, because the original designers don't make a dime on the sale!"

Replace 'games' with 'houses' or 'cars' and we have a problem.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But game developers are special, don't you know. They should have revenues from sources that others don't...just because.

Zeus

Cipher
FeelTheRads said:
But game developers are special, don't you know. They should have revenues from sources that others don't...just because.

mca.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom