Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post the LIES that the game media and nerds spread

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ladders & Snakes said:
It was just aliens taking over a research station, marines coming and a man with a black briefcase who made absolutely no sense

That IS a good story, for a sci-fi shooter. And the way the story unfolded through out the game was pretty good. There's a difference between generic and uninspired.

Ladders & Snakes said:
and the developers DID not know what he was supposed to be

Maybe if Valve didn't turn to shit they could have come up with a cool explanation for the G-man. Still, he was a pretty cool character in the original.

Ladders & Snakes

Educated
That IS a good story, for a sci-fi shooter. And the way the story unfolded through out the game was pretty good. There's a difference between generic and uninspired.

I could write 20 stories on that level a day. It's not a story, it's a setting. Super Mario has an innovative setting, but no story. Same with Half-Life.

(Not that games need a story. The game mechanic doesn't really lean to exciting storylines and in 99& of all cases the story sucks.)

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Ladders & Snakes said:
Hi,

you know stuff like

"Half-Life had a great story" -- no it hadn't. It was just aliens taking over a research station, marines coming and a man with a black briefcase who made absolutely no sense and the developers DID not know what he was supposed to be, so they invented some lame-ass excuse for the outro. You could say it had NO STORY at all.

I want to know

:M

Inane shit

It's not a lie if you don't know any better. You can't ask outstanding powers of communication out of children. Same thing with you faggotss. So this is why I love you all anyway, because I just love children. Get raped

"Half-life had a good story" can mean a number of things.There's good chances we're not talking about very clear litterary merits here. If anything, people who say such a thing probably refer to their overall experience, which they considered positive. The "story" appealed to them - there is none of course, it is merely a template, but this is not how they understand it. The word "story" comes to encompass more than simply the bare outfolding of the events in the game. There is probably no clear and cold analysis of the "story" that is done in such a case - they don't pick out one of the element of the game to criticize it, they see it as a whole and judge that whole accordingly. That is how most people operate, except "critics" who think they are smart because they can't enjoy things (i.e. over-intellectualize unecessarly)

Even if my hypothesis is innapropriate, you are still applying wrong standards over one area to the other. You don't go into a theater with hollywood-ish movies expecting Aristophanes, this isn't out it works. If you want that, go elsewhere.

Anyway fuck you

7hm

Scholar
Ladders & Snakes said:

I could write 20 stories on that level a day. It's not a story, it's a setting. Super Mario has an innovative setting, but no story. Same with Half-Life.

(Not that games need a story. The game mechanic doesn't really lean to exciting storylines and in 99& of all cases the story sucks.)

It's a pretty good setting (or was at the time at least). All the other AAA FPS games at that time were shooting shooting shooting and Valve went a different way. Good for them. Now all the AAA FPS games have stories and decent settings and it doesn't look as impressive.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
All you have to do is read some gaming sites today and you probably a spot a lie within the first paragraph.

It's an acquired trait of Codexians, TBH. Most of the internet are pretty forgiving and optimistic of promises and hype. But after Oblivion's Radiant AI and awarding Fallout 3 with Best Writing, it's hard not to be critical.

Flanged

Scholar
BETHESDA, PRE-OBLIVION:

"All screenshots we've released are 100% in game showing stuff we've already got implemented. We haven't done any special poses or anything like that, with the exception of magazine covers."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I'm sorry, but what part of "without losing our broiler rpg fans" don't you understand?"

[Slateman] "Each of the faction lines in this game have plots and quests to much greater depth over MW. Quality, not quantity."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I know you don't want to hear it, but you're just going to have to trust us that the dialogue is better than Morrowind's."

[Todd] "As you play, you start to figure out what you can do with these NPCs, and how you can influence their behavior, and when doing a quest, it really comes into play. A simple 'get the diamond from that guy...' quest can be done in hundreds of ways now."

[VSXX] "We have everything from mice to moles to crickets. The most fearsome you have ever seen even! You thought sleeping at night with a singing cricket outside your window was bad. You wait till you meet the one that plays a 14 piece drum set outside your window."

[Pete] "Honestly, and this is just my opinion, I think the broiler RPG guys are going to love what we have in store for them in Oblivion. The depth, the level of polish...it crushes Morrowind. That doesn't mean that other people won't want to buy it and play it because it's a beautiful game that has fun combat and cool quests. We'll make enough copies for everyone."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You'll be reading LOTS of stuff. All of the quest lines are much more in depth, challenging and interesting. And there's a heck of a lot more to the game than just the guilds and the main quest. Lots and lots of other things to do that haven't been mentioned. Stats play a huge, huge role. Class actually has meaning this time. The game is better balanced. You have more rewards for advancement besides just getting better at things. The dungeons are better designed, the NPCs are more interesting, the dialogue is better written.

If you think this is a simple, dumbed down hack & slash, you couldn't be more wrong."

[BlueDev] "For Oblivion, there's a very concious effort to avoid too much random information spewing by NPCs. Fear not--there's still the same amount of info to be found in the game. In fact, the NPCs probably have more than ever to say; it just makes more sense for them to say it."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Oblivion is infinitely superior to Morrowind in every conceivable way."

[MattRyan] "So for all of you thinking that it would be neat to steal something, and then take off on your horse....guess what? An NPC can do the same pepper paste trick to you as well. "

[Todd] "The clothing you wear does affect certain NPC's, but not in a big way, it’s subtle."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Broken shields and weapons are automatically dropped and they clatter to the ground using Havok physics. Broken armor stays on, but is ineffective and you'll know if you're wearing broken armor or not."

[Slateman] "While I cannot go into detail, rest assured that even players who max out a bunch of skills will discover challenges in this game. We didn't leave you guys out "

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Just because you can attempt to bribe someone does not mean they'll automatically accept it."

[MattRyan] "We are gamers. We have given tons of time toward the balance of gameplay. Asside from the designers, artists, programmers, and producers.... our staff of QA testers are extremely good at exploiting our game systems and looking for loopholes in gameplay, or shortfalls in fun vs. realism.

In conclusion, to completely cut out any adjustment to difficulty in enemies would not be fun, just as making all creatures off-set to your level would not be fun."

[Slateman] "Yep. To second MSFD, we don't auto-level exactly to your level. We have all sorts of adjustments available. If we didn't the game would be boring "

[MattRyan] "If everything was leveled then you'd have no fear of anything in the game ('I can beat everything!') We plan on scaring the heck out of the player by higher level creatures."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I absolutely guarantee that they'll be able to make mods that will completely blow away anything we saw for Morrowind, using the new Construction Set."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You can only use the map-based fast travel to go to places you've already been. So you'll HAVE to walk to each possible location AT LEAST once."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "We could make traditional creatures that looked like every other depiction of those creatures you've seen in books, food network, or other games, but then where's the originality in that?"

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "NPCs would have to be told to go into your house via Radiant AI. And even if they WERE, you could always lock your door..."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "The compass, the quest marker and compass icons, are NOT the hand-holding, dumbing down babysitter some folks paint them out to be."
http://byblos.2.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=155

And so on, and so on. Never Forget!

--------------------

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't have the capability to post the entire internet in one post, so I can't participate in this thread.

attackfighter

Magister
pocahaunted said:
attackfighter said:
pocahaunted said:
I gotta agree with any and all half-life related bashing, might as well include Valve into the mix as well. Most overrated developer of all time.

Blizzard called, they say they are even more overrated

Except Blizzard at least has some pretty decent games, while Valve is like the Apple of gaming. Not really, but that's how much I'm biased against them.

You didn't like any of the orange box games? I'll admit they weren't great, but they were entertaining to some extent and had style to them. If Valve's games were being released anonymously people would still be buying them.

Blizzard otth relies on the brand names they built up 10 years ago, if their newer releases didn't have StarCraft, WarCraft and Diablo to stand on and didn't have the Blizzard logo they wouldn't sell at all. They'd be mocked as generic and uninspired by the journalists.

This taken into consideration I don't think you could say Valve is more overrated than Blizzard. Perhaps you could say Valve's individual games are more overrated, but that's subjective. Valves good reputation is rightfully earned by releasing unique and successful games, Blizzards reputation is fueled by marketing and the old IPs they routinely despoil.

ortucis

Prophet
The last game I wasted money on was L4D at 60USD and before that, HL2 and its episodes (tbh, Ep2 was kinda fun). Needless to say, I am never purchasing any game from Valve in this life, ever again.

Blizzard, they don't have revolutionary storyline or gameplay but what they DO have is a pretty solid game with tried and tested gameplay formula thrown in there somewhere. Also, I think they just manage to sell countless copies based on their cinematics alone (I remember getting Frozen Throne just cause I wanted to see more pre-rendered movies :P ).

Valve has contributed with Steam, which has forced many console only developers to think twice about ditching PC, so kudos to Valve for that. I hope they have success on Mac platform as well (since I want to release game on Mac, Linux and Windows myself, hehe).

Also, they (Valve) trademarked a genre and turned it into a commercial game. Classic.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Flanged said:
BETHESDA, PRE-OBLIVION:

"All screenshots we've released are 100% in game showing stuff we've already got implemented. We haven't done any special poses or anything like that, with the exception of magazine covers."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I'm sorry, but what part of "without losing our broiler rpg fans" don't you understand?"

[Slateman] "Each of the faction lines in this game have plots and quests to much greater depth over MW. Quality, not quantity."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I know you don't want to hear it, but you're just going to have to trust us that the dialogue is better than Morrowind's."

[Todd] "As you play, you start to figure out what you can do with these NPCs, and how you can influence their behavior, and when doing a quest, it really comes into play. A simple 'get the diamond from that guy...' quest can be done in hundreds of ways now."

[VSXX] "We have everything from mice to moles to crickets. The most fearsome you have ever seen even! You thought sleeping at night with a singing cricket outside your window was bad. You wait till you meet the one that plays a 14 piece drum set outside your window."

[Pete] "Honestly, and this is just my opinion, I think the broiler RPG guys are going to love what we have in store for them in Oblivion. The depth, the level of polish...it crushes Morrowind. That doesn't mean that other people won't want to buy it and play it because it's a beautiful game that has fun combat and cool quests. We'll make enough copies for everyone."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You'll be reading LOTS of stuff. All of the quest lines are much more in depth, challenging and interesting. And there's a heck of a lot more to the game than just the guilds and the main quest. Lots and lots of other things to do that haven't been mentioned. Stats play a huge, huge role. Class actually has meaning this time. The game is better balanced. You have more rewards for advancement besides just getting better at things. The dungeons are better designed, the NPCs are more interesting, the dialogue is better written.

If you think this is a simple, dumbed down hack & slash, you couldn't be more wrong."

[BlueDev] "For Oblivion, there's a very concious effort to avoid too much random information spewing by NPCs. Fear not--there's still the same amount of info to be found in the game. In fact, the NPCs probably have more than ever to say; it just makes more sense for them to say it."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Oblivion is infinitely superior to Morrowind in every conceivable way."

[MattRyan] "So for all of you thinking that it would be neat to steal something, and then take off on your horse....guess what? An NPC can do the same pepper paste trick to you as well. "

[Todd] "The clothing you wear does affect certain NPC's, but not in a big way, it’s subtle."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Broken shields and weapons are automatically dropped and they clatter to the ground using Havok physics. Broken armor stays on, but is ineffective and you'll know if you're wearing broken armor or not."

[Slateman] "While I cannot go into detail, rest assured that even players who max out a bunch of skills will discover challenges in this game. We didn't leave you guys out "

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "Just because you can attempt to bribe someone does not mean they'll automatically accept it."

[MattRyan] "We are gamers. We have given tons of time toward the balance of gameplay. Asside from the designers, artists, programmers, and producers.... our staff of QA testers are extremely good at exploiting our game systems and looking for loopholes in gameplay, or shortfalls in fun vs. realism.

In conclusion, to completely cut out any adjustment to difficulty in enemies would not be fun, just as making all creatures off-set to your level would not be fun."

[Slateman] "Yep. To second MSFD, we don't auto-level exactly to your level. We have all sorts of adjustments available. If we didn't the game would be boring "

[MattRyan] "If everything was leveled then you'd have no fear of anything in the game ('I can beat everything!') We plan on scaring the heck out of the player by higher level creatures."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "I absolutely guarantee that they'll be able to make mods that will completely blow away anything we saw for Morrowind, using the new Construction Set."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "You can only use the map-based fast travel to go to places you've already been. So you'll HAVE to walk to each possible location AT LEAST once."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "We could make traditional creatures that looked like every other depiction of those creatures you've seen in books, food network, or other games, but then where's the originality in that?"

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "NPCs would have to be told to go into your house via Radiant AI. And even if they WERE, you could always lock your door..."

[MrSmileyFaceDude] "The compass, the quest marker and compass icons, are NOT the hand-holding, dumbing down babysitter some folks paint them out to be."
http://byblos.2.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=155

And so on, and so on. Never Forget!

--------------------
Jesus Fucking Christ.

attackfighter

Magister
ortucis said:
The last game I wasted money on was L4D at 60USD and before that, HL2 and its episodes (tbh, Ep2 was kinda fun). Needless to say, I am never purchasing any game from Valve in this life, ever again.

Blizzard, they don't have revolutionary storyline or gameplay but what they DO have is a pretty solid game with tried and tested gameplay formula thrown in there somewhere. Also, I think they just manage to sell countless copies based on their cinematics alone (I remember getting Frozen Throne just cause I wanted to see more pre-rendered movies :P ).

Valve has contributed with Steam, which has forced many console only developers to think twice about ditching PC, so kudos to Valve for that. I hope they have success on Mac platform as well (since I want to release game on Mac, Linux and Windows myself, hehe).

Also, they (Valve) trademarked a genre and turned it into a commercial game. Classic.

You may have registered before me but this is an extreme situation so I must rise above my station and say that you are a retard. You bought a game for the cutscenes you could watch on youtube... and "tried and tested" formula my ass, their newest releases are essentially just dumbed down rehashes. I've already detailed my thoughts on StarCraft 2 numerous times, and I don't feel like doing so again, but analyzing Diablo 3 alone will demonatrate my point: it's upgraded nothing from Diablo 2 asides from the graphics and yet it's fucked up in numerous areas, such as the inability to assign stat points, removal of the dark art style of the original and no doubt it will have numerous inspirations from and tributes to WoW in it. Blizzard only shits out stale rehashes of their older games and new expansion packs for WoW, they have so little talent and yet retarded fanboys (like you) applaud all their shitty releases. They are without a doubt a more overrated dev than Valve.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Last game i bought was ... doom3 for the dark mod (5€ worthy purchase).

Before that ... Gothic 2 - given away in a magazine i think.

I'm just a rational economic actor.

sah

Liturgist
Ladders & Snakes said:
Hi,

you know stuff like

"Half-Life had a great story" -- no it hadn't. It was just aliens taking over a research station, marines coming and a man with a black briefcase who made absolutely no sense and the developers DID not know what he was supposed to be, so they invented some lame-ass excuse for the outro. You could say it had NO STORY at all.

I want to know

:M

Come on. It was a Lovecraftian ITZ made into a shooter. That sounds like a good story to me.

Ermm

Erudite
Ladders & Snakes said:
sah said:
Come on. It was a Lovecraftian ITZ made into a shooter. That sounds like a good story to me.

Lovecraftian? Lovecraftian??? :M quake was lovecraftian.

And what the hell does ITZ man?

It means BOOM!!!! KAPUT!!!!! ARGHHHH!!!!! THE END!!!!!!

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
"Things are only gonna get better with Mass Effect 3."
Yeah, if we're lucky we might even keep the options to change our armor.

Ermm

Erudite
Ladders & Snakes said:
Are you threatening me, little Rasputin? :M

I meant that ITZ is ''GAME OVER'', comparable to events that happened like in that movie Mars Attacks, or more specifically, what happens with whiny characters in Friday The 13th movies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom