Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Popular Rpgs that you tried but never was able to finish?

DA:O
Generic story and quests. Cutscenes etc.

Oblivion
Don't like open sandbox worlds with no point to them. Boring combat. Plus loads of other reasons.

Witcher
Not a good deal of customization or equipment. Fairly boring combat.

Arcanum.
Switched computers and couldn't get my save game to work on the new computer (!)

M&M7
I think i somehow ruined my game by turning some king and hist men hostile against me. Speaking to the King was essential to progress i think.It's been ages ago since i've played it, but i remember i would always get attacked when ever i entered his castle.

Right now i'm on a (starting to get long) break from Wiz8. I'm pretty far in the game, but i find the countless mob battles take forever. I just want to finish the story now. Also travelling takes forever.

Stinger

Arcane
Surprised so many people gave up on Arcanum.

That game had me hooked the whole way through. I'd say only the puzzle in Tulla made me lose interest a bit, but after that I just blitzed to the endgame.

I also played a mage (I was a warrior at first but started learning spells instead when I found my sword doing nothing against the golems in Black Mountain) so maybe that was it.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
PST - I created a low Cha character and had to fight with the Transcendent One. Never defeated him as the game had a massive memory leak that would make the game very slow after longer playing.

That was fixed within days of release with a patch. Can't believe you got to the end with that bug...

MM7 - Too much travelling back and forth between zones near end-game
Ultima 9: Ascension - Almost got to the end! It was only moderately awful, not god-awful
Witcher 1 - Gave up on it, then went back and finished it later (Act 2 swamplands and town are just awful)
The Columbine Massacre RPG - Was pretty damn neat, but
after they died and went to Hell the game got really hard
Tons of console RPGs - Demon Souls, Legend of Zeldas(Pretty much every one of 'em), Legend of the Dragoon, Star Ocean: the Second Story, Chrono Cross, the list goes on and on

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
My answer is pretty swift: Any RPG released after 2002, with three exceptions: Gothic 2 NOTR, Risen and the Eschalon games.

Seriously, I cannot think of a single RPG released after 2002 that I bothered to see through to the end.

I played Arcanum and finished it.

I played Arx Fatalis and finished it.

I played Gothic 3 and gave up in the desert, I'm aiming to try again over the holidays this year, if Real Life doesn't get in the way.

I played NWN through, including the OC and both expansions. (The expansions were probably released after 2002, but I don't care.) I started playing NWN2 once, but lost interest really quickly.

I started playing KOTOR, but gave up shortly after the Big Shock Reveal. Wasn't that shocked by it, actually. I have KOTOR2, but haven't even bothered installing it.

I played through Chapter 1 of The Witcher (Super-duper Enhanced Hyper Edition of Absolute Awesomeness Edition) and lost interest by that point. I MAY try again later, but I hope nobody here holds their breath over it, or there'll be a real life funeral soon enough.

Most "other" RPG titles I simply haven't touched, including anything made by Bioware since KOTOR and Bethsoft since Elder Scrolls: Arena, but some RPGs of old I haven't completed:

Anything with the name "Wizardry" in it. I've tried with 6, 7 and 8, and gotten exactly nowhere.

Any title in the "Bard's Tale" series. I've tried, but never felt like going through 99 Berzerkers, 99 Berzerkers, 99 Berzerkers and 99 Berzerkers...

Albion. Grinding + furries = Get me the fuck out of here.

IWD: Trials of the Luremaster: Finished the original + Heart of Winter, and also the sequel, but never this bit. Something about it justs irks me the wrong way.

Pools of Darkness. Roughly 10 years ago I blazed through PoR, CotAB and SotSB, but PoD stumped me, I had earned the right to have my über Killing Party of Awesomeness all kitted out and ready for War!, but somebody gets the idea to take away all my toys? Fuck that shit. I beat the first "mini-boss", but didn't bother with the rest of the game.

Dungeon Master: To be fair, I only tried once. I loved what I saw, but I haven't given myself the time to revisit and try again, let alone try Chaos Strikes Back. I've played DM2 through, though.

Most of the "big titles" I've played through and through, but this list is what cropped up in my head while writing this, I'm most likely missing out on something.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
flabbyjack said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
PST - I created a low Cha character and had to fight with the Transcendent One. Never defeated him as the game had a massive memory leak that would make the game very slow after longer playing.

That was fixed within days of release with a patch. Can't believe you got to the end with that bug...
It was before the common access to the internets.

Edwin

Scholar
Witcher:that shit is boring and the game has the worst inventory system,alchemy and combat I ever encountered(oh and the main character is exactly the kind of person I hate)

Risen: 1 of my fav. games(somewhere in the top ten) but I never finished it.Reason:summer ended,I was somewhere in the last chapter and I just forgot to go back(after a long break I cant get back into a game unless I restart the whole thing).I will finish it 1 day

Bloodlines: fatal error at the boat,didnt have internet to download patch(when the game was new).Restarted it a year ago,got bored of it somewhere in chapter 2 but I think its a great game(still on the hard drive...somewhere so its not hopeless that 1 day I will get to it)

Divinity Emo Draconis(or what):I dunno,killed a few chickens,found a big village(the 2.) and just got bored

Lionheart: after a good start the game turned into pure shit

Dragon Age 2:good god wtf is this shit?I gave it a chance because I found Origins playable....I heard that its bad before I tried it but bad is not a strong enough word...that game is a disaster

Two Worlds 2:got bored a few hours into the game

Gothic 3:the combat was bad as I remember and the game was full of bugs(not like Obsidian games...thats nothing compared to vanilla Gothic 3)

Multi-headed Cow

NWN1. I played a good pile of modules, but never finished the shitty shit shit campaign. Finished both expansions though.

MotB. I hate the NWN2 engine SO MUCH I can't even stand it for a game I might otherwise like.

Chrono Trigger. Heard it was/is the best JRPG, but maaaaaaaan I still don't like JRPGs except for PST. Played until I got my flying time machine and then quit.

Baldur's Gate 1. I have no idea why, but I've never finished it. Beat BG2, but never did finish BG1 after playing a while.

Ultima VI. Never did the main story, I always just played it as an open world fuck around game. Steal the deeds to ships from that blind shipmaster and then SAIL OFF FOR ADVENTURE.

Edit: Oh yeah, Arcanum. Made a gnome techie talkyman in a smoking jacket and always got pissed off at how worthless guns were and how much of a pain in the ass buying/making bullets was.

Edit 2: Oh yeah oh yeah, Witcher 1. Got near the end and then lost my save because they stored it in some weird potatoland location instead of the game's directory or my documents, so it didn't get backed up when I wiped my shit to install Windows 7. Haven't gotten around to replaying and not sure I will.

There's a lot, actually. I rarely finish games. Usually at some point I just have had enough unless there's a really strong hook or if it's really fucking short and easy.

Baldur's Gate 2 - too long, too many quests and I just don't feel the epicness in the end, it doesn't escalate for me but just starts to feel really tiresome.

Icewind Dale 1 & 2, the first one I couldn't finish due to a bad hard drive and I didn't want to re-start it either, the second I just didn't like all that much.

Any TES game. You don't get anything of value by finishing the quests, better just to kill and steal.

Fallout New Vegas, the supposedly improved story and such didn't do it for me, it's still the same slow ass crap shooter Fallout 3 was.

Both Dragon Ages - endless fucking grind, worse than almost any JRPG I have seen. Mindlessly boring. And the first one has the most boring plot I can imagine. It could be only worse if it was about taxes or something.

ToEE - I just quit after a while, the encounters started to seem like really boring.

Wizardry 8 - I got tired of grinding and the asshole 3D maneuvering.

Jagged Alliance 2 - I have played it a lot but for some reason I never actually finish it. I guess the story isn't that important for me.

Alpha Protocol, it was just pretty shit.

KotC - I got slightly bored of that thief city.

Dark Sun - I tried to get it to work smoothly but it just didn't happen.

Eye of the Beholder - ok I have only tried it for a while, the weird RT combat drove me quickly off.

Might & Magic 7 - the same thing, I didn't get what was happening in the combat, it was just some flies or something flying at me at supersonic speeds.

Arcanum - the gameplay is terrible and I keep running into various annoying bugs.

Arx Fatalis - other stuff came up.

Fallout Tactics - does it even count? Whatever, I almost finished it but kept running into some friggin' bug at the very end that crashed it.

Minecraft - Those Strongholds are too fucking far.

Deus Ex : HR - RPG or not, I don't dig a lot of things about it, such as random boss battles and the gunplay.

Deus Ex - yeah, I quit roughly at the end, I guess I had enough at that point.

System Shock 2 - I still can't get it to work right.

Wizardry 7 - it's a long, grindy game. Fun for a good while though.

Gothic 3 - it still works like shit.

Nethack - never ascended :(

Adom - tried it and went back to Nethack.

NWN - when I for the first time saw the paladin who gives you some quest I thought "Seriously?" and then found out you can't actually have a party and that was it.

Yep, I'm a true codexer all right :lol:

Stinger

Arcane
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
System Shock 2 - I still can't get it to work right.

It's likely cause you're playing on a multicore computer.

At startup right click on the process in task manager and set the affinity to Core 0. Unfortunately you'll have to do this every time you play.

Huh. Thanks, I'll have to try that one of these days.

Also - The Witcher 2. I didn't like anything about the gameplay. Keep your third person action games, I have seen enough of that shit.

Oh, and the friggin' Dungeon Siege games. Yeah why not run in corridors killing goblins.

Sacred, didn't like any of the loot I was finding, abilities I got nor the maps nor the monsters. The second Sacred is even more fucking boring.

MonkeyLancer

Educated
Wizardry 8 I honestly enjoyed the combat, but did not like the level scaling and annoying respawning

DA:O I didn't even want to play this but a friend of mine insisted that I "give it a try"

Daggerfall The only TES game I've even played, don't recall why I didn't finish it. Maybe I'll give it a try soonish

Incursion I play this game quite regularly and have not finished due to a lack of trying, I find this much more difficult then KoTC personally.

Erzherzog said:
The more I like a game the less likely I am to finish it.

Sounds like you don't actually like the games you think you like. Or that you're trying to rationalize finishing shit games.

Then again, I'm the same. I guess it's because every game, no matter how good, sooner or later will have some boring-ass part, and that's usually near the end where devs are just trying to wrap up the game instead of making things interesting enough to grab your attention, like in the beginning. When that happens with good games, the decline is noticeable, while with shit games you're just not expecting much else

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Arcanum has quite a bit going for it, but as I've said before, it's a waste to play the rare steampunk CRPG and not play a techie--and techies suck in Arcanum. Most of the people posting about it here, I wager, tried playing technologists.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
villain of the story said:
Daggerfall is not buggy to the point of breaking the game
Oh boy yes it is. There are some save game corrupting bugs even in 2.13 (had one happen on my latest playthrough too; thankfully I keep multiple separates saves when I play DF), and these are so nasty that the corruption will NOT show up straight away... only later. And there were multiple instances in the MQ where some variables would fail to trigger for a number of oddball reasons and you'd never know something was wrong until you notice that you're already at the point where you should've received that letter appearing in your inventory...

MMXI said:
Is Ultima IV linear because the entire Stygian Abyss is locked out until right at the end of the game and the story plays out the same way every time you play it?
Stupid comparison. In U4 you have about two dozen main line quests that you can complete in any order before everything funnels down to the Abyss. In BG1 those 25 areas are all completely irrelevant, because they have nothing to do with the MQ, which has to be followed in strict order starting with the 26th area, which opens the 27th, which opens the 28th... I'm not sure I'd agree with DraQ that this makes the whole game linear, but the main line is as rigid a line as can be. Probably even moreso than Oblivion's.

NewFag

Educated
NWN2: SoZ - I couldn't proceed past 33% or so because of some bug. Just couldn't continue at all, I scoured walkthroughs and everything and tried to use the console or whatever, but an NPC or a dialogue or something was missing. Whatever, was pretty mediocre.

System Shock 2 - Just finished Bioshock and thought it was the shit. Heard it was the "spiritual successor" of SS2 so gave it a go. Couldn't get past the first level, I was quite young back then. Was basically a new fag.

Ironically, I played through FO1 and FO2 a few months before FO3 was released for the same reason that there were two other games before. The fact FO3 was such a disappointment, it opened my eyes, and I started seeing through the derp.

Went through all of Bioware's titles, from newest at the time to oldest. (ME, JE, KOTOR, NWN, BG2, BG1) :incline:
Bio's IE games lead to Torment and IWD1/2, Obsidian, etc...
Bloodlines lead to me playing Arcanum (Arcanum lead me to the Codex)
Nowadays I'm just going through Codex recommendations. Having a blast with ToEE right now.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jaesun said:
I never finished ToEE, because I could never get past the Balor.
Yeah this was a weirdly hard fight for me. I saw little way of defeating it with the party I had especially with
Scather, the guaranteed hit bastard sword causing the game to freeze in the fire node
So I just teleported out and skipped that stuff and went straight to the end boss. Was still an easy enough fight.

Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
ToEE - I just quit after a while, the encounters started to seem like really boring.

One of the few games where combat never got boring for me. Except maybe the occasional random encounter from resting/traveling where the enemies are significantly out leveled. Though throwing a fireball or turn undead out on them and seeing them all die still is somewhat satisfying.

OT: Gothic 3 and BG2 are the only RPG's I started and didn't finish.

- Gothic 3 I had one attempt and got bored by the time I went to the desert and another attempt where I went in the opposite direction and got bored by the time I hit snow :S. The varied environments was the only thing I liked in that game, might give it another go some day.

- BG2 I quite liked while I was playing but decided to stop as I hadn't played BG1. Will do a back to back playthrough someday.

NewFag

Educated
Rivmusique said:
One of the few games where combat never got boring for me. Except maybe the occasional random encounter from resting/traveling where the enemies are significantly out leveled. Though throwing a fireball or turn undead out on them and seeing them all die still is somewhat satisfying.

Absolutely. I'm only at Nulb so far, going to the temple soon, but this is the first isometric RPG that I've played that combat just seems... right. I was a bit confused during the first few encounters, but once I skimmed through the manual a bit, and figured things out, it just seems like the only proper way to do it. :love:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Witcher - Just got really bored with all the samey quests.

Ultima VIII - Never got too far with that, maybe I should try it again though. Although I believe the Kodex Kritical Konsensus is that it sucks.

Daggerfall - Just couldn't get into the combat.

I really don't get why so many people didn't finish Arcanum though. The story, the gameplay options, the quests, everything just inclines the closer to the end you get and urges you to move on. I agree they must have been technologists, because that seriously raises the frustration level. Until you get to Vendigroth at least. Playing mage is just awesome. Unless you think being able to disintegrate everyone and everything instantly "spoils the challenge". Playing as a tecknologicalist pretty much guarantees a ragequit when you first get slaugthered by the bulletproof turd golems/lava blobs in the BMC.

The usual "NWN OC is teh boring lololololololololololol"and "NWN2 engine is teh sux lolololololol" however, I totally expected to see. The hivemind does not disappoint.

Morkar Left

Arcanum, Oblivion, Kotor, Divine Divinity, Diablo 1+2, Ultima 4, Icewind Dale, ToEE, NWN 1 + 2 MQ, Bloodlines, Fallout 3, ... damn, it just doesn't stop...

DraQ

Arcane
Edwin said:
Divinity Emo Draconis(or what):I dunno,killed a few chickens,found a big village(the 2.) and just got bored
The part before you reach Talana is the undisputed lowest point of the game.

Sceptic said:
MMXI said:
Is Ultima IV linear because the entire Stygian Abyss is locked out until right at the end of the game and the story plays out the same way every time you play it?
Stupid comparison. In U4 you have about two dozen main line quests that you can complete in any order before everything funnels down to the Abyss. In BG1 those 25 areas are all completely irrelevant, because they have nothing to do with the MQ, which has to be followed in strict order starting with the 26th area, which opens the 27th, which opens the 28th... I'm not sure I'd agree with DraQ that this makes the whole game linear, but the main line is as rigid a line as can be. Probably even moreso than Oblivion's.
And certainly far more linear than Morrowind, let alone Daggerfall.

In Oblivion you generally ride a rail as well (and what a shitty ride it is!), but you can at least choose which daedric artifact to give up at certain moment, which effectively means you choose which daedric quest to integrate into MQ.

In Morrowind there is a good portion of the MQ where seven different tasks have to be completed in any sequence. Additionally, one of the three of those tasks can be affected by your position in one of the houses (if any), and you can effectively substitute all seven tasks with any combination of side and guild quests as long as it nets you 50 total reputation (and as long as you're level 20 or higher). Then you have the backpath, altering the way you approach MQs conclusion.

In Daggerfall you have several concurrent questlines, with optional quests and some branching. And then you have the multiple endings.

Nonlinearity is generally the measure of ability to do things differently. Sure, there are different kinds of nonlinearity, you have storyfag CYOA nonlinearity, which allows for stronger choices and guaranteed mutual exclusivity of them at the expense of freedom, you have emergent nonlinearity which relies on rich mechanics and as few intermediate goals as possible to allow player to tackle the task in any way he damn pleases. In any case, BG has close to none. You still have to visit predetermined locations in strictly predetermined order, you experience predetermined sequence of predetermined events nad are forced to fight predetermined queue of intermediatefags rather than being given choice how and what to do in given situation (for example intercepting the messages, tracking Iron Throne's forces to find their bases, stealing the relevant documents, or persuading the right people at the right time would all have been valid alternatives in BG).

Ability to visit a lot of areas right from the start is not relevant here, it doesn't matter if your starting area is large part of the gameworld if you still have to ride a rail.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Eh, that would be Daggerfall. Note though, there's also very healthy bunch of unfinished game like Ultimas series or three first of M&M's, but I can feel warmly inside me, they are pleasantly doable, in the some sunny, summer day of my life, if free time bonus permits it, that is, but Daggerfall... I don't mind bugs (just reload a early save, I do save a lot), but the Dungeons. I simply get lost in the fubar thingy. I got lost in times, when I was a lot younger and had a much, much more time to play, then now. Epic fail. Eh, number two. Daggerfall...

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Scather, the guaranteed hit bastard sword causing the game to freeze in the fire node

2 workarounds:

1) take care the scather-wielding character doesn't take fire damage , e.g. Protection from Energy: Fire

2) if it happens anyway, you might note that the char doesn't have any action-bar left but the game doesn't switch to the next char in the initiative line. That's the "freezing". Open the inventory and try to drink a potion, the game will inform you that you can't and then switch to the next character.

ChristofferC

Magister
Arcanum, IWD, IWD2, NWN2, Bloodlines, TOEE, Fallout 3, Dragon Age. Never finished a Troika game. There are also a games I stopped playing after a couple of hours such as Morrowind, Oblivion, Witcher2, Alpha Protocol.

attackfighter

Magister
Fallout 3
Oblivion
Oblivion 5: Skyrimjob
Two Worlds
Diablo 2
KotOR
Septerra Core
Arcanum (got to the puzzle in the Wizard city place and said "fuck this")

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom