Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Poll: Western Blobbers After 2000 That You Played

Which of these Western blobbers have you played?

• Total voters

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
LoX is a blobber in every way that counts.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I dunno about most important but OK. Should be on the poll IMO.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
What about Realms of Arkania HD? In exploration it's a blobber, but not in combat.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
I think combat is the most relevant criteria. POR for instance is definitely not a blobber.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Hmm, blobber exploration and non-blobber combat - just like Realms of Arkania HD.

V_K

Arcane
Hmm, blobber exploration and non-blobber combat
Combat in GLOI is third-person in perspective, but blobber in mechanics, kinda like many JRPGs - you can see your characters on the battlefield, but there's no movement/positioning involved apart from the front row/back row thing.

PrettyDeadman

Strange that you included more niche japansese titles such as DarkSpyer and Stranger of Sword City but didn't include SMT:Strange Journey/SMT:Nocturne or any of Etrian Odyssey since those game are probably one of the more popular dungeon crawlers in recent years in the world.

pippin

Well, you have to give the west some way they can compete with japanese blobbers. Japanese blobbers end up being better mostly because they are the only ones who care about the genre.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Japanese blobbers are basically stuck in Wizardry 1-5 mechanics with no intention of going beyond that.

pippin

Not all of them. However it's fun to realize most people want games which play like what the genre used to be, and when they get it, they invent artificial excuses to not play them :M

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The biggest downside of JRPG's is the anime weaboo crap though. When all characters look like schoolgirls out of some comic book, it's difficult to get into a game.

pippin

Again, not all are like that. Although a different artsyle is sometimes refreshing imo. You can only have warrior #8432432432 so many times.

Modron

Arcane
The biggest downside of JRPG's is the anime weaboo crap though. When all characters look like schoolgirls out of some comic book, it's difficult to get into a game.
The biggest downside of JRPGs is an over reliance on stereotypes and tropes and a cultural inability to understand the benefit of brevity which means you end up having tons of generic dialog that is a chore to slog through in the average jrpg. It would be one thing if stories were up to par with PST or something but usually I get to the point where I am just skipping through dialog left and right and wondering why I am not reading a book or anything else really.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I really don't understand why playing is the criteria. Why not liked? I've played them all but if the data I pick is going to be used to somehow incorrectly correlate how good a game is I'd rather not even participate over just selecting the games I've played and liked.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Here's a crazy idea: You can create any kind of poll yourself. So if you want a vote on the best liked blobbers, do it.

But as we've established before, you're too much of a lazy bastard to do anything other than whine.

V_K

Arcane
Again, not all are like that. Although a different artsyle is sometimes refreshing imo.
So what are the non-anime puzzle-heavy non-grindy Japanese blobbers? Preferably with full party creation/customization?
Not a trick question, really curious.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Again, not all are like that. Although a different artsyle is sometimes refreshing imo.
So what are the non-anime puzzle-heavy non-grindy Japanese blobbers? Preferably with full party creation/customization?
Not a trick question, really curious.

I tried asking that on the jRPG forum and got hounded off my thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom