Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Science Fiction games

What is your favorite scifi video game, re: setting, art direction, sound design, and characters?

• Total voters

Jason Liang

Arcane
I've been thinking a lot about Death Stranding, and why it works as a video game. Whatever it's issues are with story, structure and gameplay, it's my favorite scifi video game in a really long time - for me the setting is up there with Alpha Centauri and Star Control 2. Music is also a big part of Death Stranding, and the righ4 music is also a necessary component to the best scifi games as well. Especially similar to SMAC, where the game is less fun to play as fun to learn the setting. Anyway, I'd like to see where this game compares to great sci fi games of the past.

I will try to list only one game for each "world" but feel free to disagree with me if you think a different game represents that setting better.

I am trying to stick mostly to strict science fiction. Some light science fantasy is ok (Star Wars, FFVII) but not full blown science fantasy (Phantasy Star Online).

Poll is choose up to 5.

Second Star Control 2 is a typo, should be StarCraft 2

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Missing some essential sci-fi RTS games: Dune 2, Command & Conquer, Red Alert, StarCraft.
Is the Tiberian Sun setting any good though?

Not sure if there has been a Dune video game that does justice to the novels/ movies. Same with Star Wars (but more I'm not sure which Star Wars game is best for setting).

I've played Dead Space 2's campaign for 80 hours so I'll have to go with that.

Fantastic game by an extremely talented studio that was passionate about their work, somehow managed to get a big budget out of EA for it without microtransactions or anything worse than some pre-order items (that everyone got anyways) getting added. 10/10, will play again many times.

Palomides

Augur
Star Trek: Birth of the Federation.

In fact loads of Trek games are pretty good, and become much better when you compare them to modern crap. Bridge Commander's fun if you want to fire phasers here and there.

Edgetard

Educated
"setting art direction"
but no aracho futurist games
I cant tell if this is because non exist or they were all just bad games

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I want to know why SC2 is in the poll but not the original.

Codex Year of the Donut
Jason Liang tbh you're missing a lot of sci-fi greats, sci-fi games kinda died with the turn of the century and the love for post apoc/cybercringe garbage started.

Aquanox(the originals) and such are examples of interesting settings.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is an interesting poll because it discounts gameplay and mechanics, and therefore alters my decision-making slightly (I wouldn't choose Homeworld if gameplay and mechanics were factors, although its gameplay is enjoyable enough).

Regardless, if I could only choose one, it would still be SMAC. Its setting, art direction, characters, and even the (compared to titles with near-unlimited GB to utilize) limited selection of music and sound design are top-tier even when discounting its gameplay and mechanics, which are also top-tier. It's the fact that the entire game is top-tier in every respect that elevates it to legendary status.

Jason Liang

Arcane
There is some western garbo on there that should be replaced by Super Metroid.
This
I mean seriously Jason Liang
You have no problem with putting shit like Detroit Become Human
But Metroid and Resident Evil aren't good enough to make it into the poll?
RE is more horror than sci fi. The sci fi elements are pretty light.

As for Metroid, I don't mind adding something from the series but Nintendo has always been pretty light on world building.

Zlaja

Arcane
Adding New Vegas, but not Fallout 1 & 2 is weird (and gay).

Best Mass Effect is the first one, not 2.

Kotor 1 & 2 should be on the list (not that I would vote for them, but still)

Adding Doom Eternal, but not the original? Weird. And if you're gonna include Doom, then Quake and Unreal should be there too.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm not sure which Star Wars game(s) to add: KOTOR 1, 2, SWTOR, Jedi Fallen Order, TIE Fighter, Squadrons, or another game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom