Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pointless interview about music in Empire at War

LlamaGod

Cipher
<strong>[ Game -> Interview ]</strong>

<a href="http://www.music4games.net">Music 4 Games</a> recently had an interview with Frank Klepacki, former Westwood composer, who is currently working on the upcoming <a href="http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/indexFlash.html">Star Wars: Empire at War</a>.

Here's the most interesting bit, I guess:

<blockquote>M4G: You have over 14 years of composing under your belt. What has been some of the highlighting moments in your music career thus far?

Frank Klepacki: Aside from Star Wars, which is clearly the biggest highlight, it would be obvious to say the Command and Conquer series was a joy to work on and I never would have guessed that I would develop the loyal following I have as a result, and am grateful for that. So I continue putting out that style of music I created on my own solo albums which are available on my website, as well as in all the digital download services. Also working on Dune 2000 and Blade Runner were great moments for me. It was nice being recognized by Hans Zimmer for how I reworked his scores for The Lion King, and I loved the PC Gamer music award for C&C Red Alert, because it beat out Quake composed by Trent Reznor at the time, who ironically is one of my biggest influences for my electronica style! Having my music featured on "Ultimate Fighting Championship" events has been really awesome as well.</blockquote>

Personally, I rarely pay attention or even have music or sound turned on in strategy games. I just pay attention all to the gameplay and not the fluff that is wrapped around it.

Read the rest <a href="http://www.music4games.net/f_frank_klepacki_empire_at_war.html">here.</a>

Quigs

Magister
I strongly disagree. I think sometimes Music soundtracks can make or break a gaming experience.

2 strong examples of the music supporting and enhancing gameplay are mercenaries, and all of the hitman games. (ok, total annihilation up there for 3 too)

Examples of music mucking up the game are all command and conquers, and the Conquer : Hero's games.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
If you don't like the music, turn it off, you moron. It's only a big deal if the game doesn't allow you to turn the sound off. Even then, just shut off your speakers. Jeez louise.

Quigs

Magister
You can't be that ignorant.

"If you don't like the graphics, gouge out your eyes!"

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I can enjoy games without sound. In fact, I do most of the time because I play late and night and don't want to wake up anyone in the house.

You can't really compare graphics to sound like that, graphics are integral to the game (Assuming it has graphics, of course) and if you don't like them, you either suck it up like a man or be a bitch and not play.

None of that stuff really turns me off from games as long as I enjoy the gameplay. Hell, even if the game has shit controls I'll get used to them if the gameplay is enjoyable. It's all about the gameplay, mang.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom