Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Sales Analysis Thread

Sannom

Augur
Well, the expansion strategy I think has proven its viability, as it's been around since the 90's. Do we have the numbers on the EE of The Witcher?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If I've played the original game, I'm more likely to actually try something that offers new content.

It's kind of awkward that EEs are best for the people who haven't yet played your game, ie, for your less dedicated fans.

See? And you call me a shit poster. You just made shit up.

I beat WL2 and almost beat D:OS - Looking forward to replaying both with all the new features.
I would rather have content that overhauls the entire game instead of throwing in a wintery area mid-game for 29.99.

EDIT
Don't you think it's more awkward to have Mid-Game Content shoe'd in ?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
He isn't whining about having more content. He's comparing the EE strategy and expansions that shoe-horn mid-game content. That also unbalance late-game content to a ridiculous degree. PoE could use some overhauling anyway. If they give us the EE for free, then what's the issue? I would think that the EE strategy moves more new sales, while having expansions not only costs you $$$, but I doubt that it facilitates more sales of the base game. If you haven't played the base game then why would you get excited about more of it?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The most awkward thing is that you're desperate enough to actually whine about having more content.

Bonerbill, dicksmoker, SausageInYourFace, cockman63, IFuckMyPoECollectorsEditionBox brofisted this.
Kill yourself.

I would think that the EE strategy moves more new sales,

I think this only works if you are looking to tap a new market at the same time. AKA WL2 and D:OS are both porting their EE's to Console.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think this only works if you are looking to tap a new market at the same time. AKA WL2 and D:OS are bothing porting their EE's to Console.

That's true, but considering we are comparing which strategy (EE vs expansions) moves more new sales, given only those 2 choices, I'd think the EE wins. I don't see why expansions would win in this case, since not only aren't you excited by new content for a game you still haven't played, but you also have to shell out more cash for the expansions as well.

Unless there's some marketing research that points to people wanting the base game because they've heard of the expansions for it, and this somehow tricks the brain into thinking the game is good. Stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

Sannom

Augur
I would think that the EE strategy moves more new sales, while having expansions not only costs you $$$, but I doubt that it facilitates more sales of the base game. If you haven't played the base game then why would you get excited about more of it?
That's also what I thought, but according to Infinitron the publicity surrounding the release of the White March and patch 2.0 helped sale 50,000 more copies of the base game.

That's true, but considering we are comparing which strategy (EE vs expansions) moves more new sales, given only those 2 choices, I'd think the EE wins. I don't see why expansions would win in this case, since not only aren't you excited by new content for a game you still haven't played, but you also have to shell out more cash for the expansions as well.
In the case of the White March, it also came with patch 2.0, which probably helped sell the game to more people. As far as cash goes, I think one must not forget that the base game must have gone through a period of cut price on Steam and GOG around that time.

butchy

Prospernaut
As long as WL2, D:OS, and POE were successful and profitable why bother speculating on sales until the companies themselves release the numbers?

It would just be nice if people who supposedly liked crpgs supported crpgs. Buy crpgs and hate fake-rpg console games. Raise the sales of the first and lower the sales of the second. The last thing we need is the retard resurgence of the console fancy pants super hoity-toity fake-rpg loving crpg destroyers.

I don't understand the mindsets of people who claim to like the IE games knocking PoE. Or people who liked M&M games knocking MMX. If you want more IE and M&M type games make the games that are like them profitable so more are made. Look at the steam reviews and forums for MMX and all the monkeys saying it was shit because it wasn't exactly like MM6 through 8. Well, its 100x better than shitty ass non-rpg Grimrock, it was worth the money and worth playing, and if you want MMXI and XII, etc, or more games in the vain of MM6-8, buy it and suck it up.

I'm not a huge fan of PoE but it was clearly made for the PC, had a real crpg interface and inventory, no retarded and useless spinning cameras, and who knows, if enough of these are made someone will get the idea to make the first real crpg with good RTwP combat by combining the combat of Aarklash with the gameplay of a traditional crpg.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's also what I thought, but according to Infinitron the publicity surrounding the release of the White March and patch 2.0 helped sale 50,000 more copies of the base game.

But that has nothing to do with either the expansion OR the EE. It's simply more publicity. How would we know that PoE wouldn't sell as much copies from a hypothetical EE than from the expansion when the obvious reason doesn't have anything to do with either of these.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
One important factor is that people love discounted main game + expansion collections because of the hours per dollar thing. Pillars: Complete Edition for $20 or whatever is going to give it quite the long tail, alongside BG+TotSC, BG2+ToB, IWD+HoW, NWN:Gold/Platinum/Diamond, NWN2 Gold, DA:O+Awakening+all DLC, and so on.

There are far more people who end up buying those things than those who just buy the individual expansions.

Bonerbill

Augur
Bonerbill, dicksmoker, SausageInYourFace, cockman63, IFuckMyPoECollectorsEditionBox brofisted this.
Kill yourself.

I think this only works if you are looking to tap a new market at the same time. AKA WL2 and D:OS are both porting their EE's to Console.

Go suck my black dick faggot. I can brofist any post I like.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
all the monkeys saying it was shit because it wasn't exactly like MM6 through 8.

You're saying it on a forum where the M&M poll looks like 6>WoX>7>10>3>8>2>1>9
And some of them(3, 2) are underrated only because they are old, while 6 is overrated in general because it was very popular back then.
So it's far from being 6-8 fanboy circlejerk

10 was mediocre, not really shit, but mediocre, but it has whole a lot of problems other than not being 6(I've bounced of 6 for instance).

Ubisoft doesn't know what to do with M&M franchise, to not repeat myself - check heroes 7 thread and my post. While the situation doesn't translate 1:1 to the RPG part of Might and Magic franchise, the core problems in handling of it are the same(for example looking at 3/WoX, mobile ports, for instance can easily work just as they do in case of Heroes).

butchy

Prospernaut
You're saying it on a forum where the M&M poll looks like 6>WoX>7>10>3>8>2>1>9
And some of them(3, 2) are underrated only because they are old, while 6 is overrated in general because it was very popular back then.
So it's far from being 6-8 fanboy circlejerk

10 was mediocre, not really shit, but mediocre, but it has whole a lot of problems other than not being 6(I've bounced of 6 for instance).

Ubisoft doesn't know what to do with M&M franchise, to not repeat myself - check heroes 7 thread and my post. While the situation doesn't translate 1:1 to the RPG part of Might and Magic franchise, the core problems in handling of it are the same(for example looking at 3/WoX, mobile ports, for instance can easily work just as they do in case of Heroes).

I don't give a shit what M&M who liked best. Honestly, I didn't like any of them and I started with the box set of world of xeen. But, I'll gladly take MMX over nothing. I forgot how much I love this subgenre until I played it. We don't get a lot of games in this genre at all, so if you want more we need to buy the ones out and support the shit of them. This century the only two besides MMX with high production value were Wiz8 and Wizards & Warriors. Underworld was okay, paper sorcerer was okay, frayed knights was okay, devil whiskey was okay, any I'm missing I almost positively have and were just okay. Coming up we have Star Crawlers and Bard's Tail for bigger ones. We have underworld 2, frayed knights 2, the single character one on steam, early access, the one that someone posted about recently.

If people weren't whinny bitches and supported a subgenre they supposedly like we'd also have MMXI, but as far as anyone knows we don't. I only like crpgs so haven't played HoMM since I wasted money on one a long time ago so I can't comment on what you are saying about this since I wouldn't care at all if they never made another HoMM game, but I'd bet a million dollars that if MMX was profitable enough they'd make a XI since they had the engine and assets. But everyone decided to be all hoity-toity and treat it like MM9. Shame on you. For shame.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
He isn't whining about having more content. He's comparing the EE strategy and expansions that shoe-horn mid-game content.

Right, but what the fuck does that have to do with Pillars, exactly? You can turn WM from mid-game content into end-game content, with one click of a button when you first enter it. This is a non-issue, unless you're Immortal and you're desperate to complain about something, but can't actually argue for shit.

One important factor is that people love discounted main game + expansion collections because of the hours per dollar thing. Pillars: Complete Edition for $20 or whatever is going to give it quite the long tail, alongside BG+TotSC, BG2+ToB, IWD+HoW, NWN:Gold/Platinum/Diamond, NWN2 Gold, DA:O+Awakening+all DLC, and so on.

There are far more people who end up buying those things than those who just buy the individual expansions.

Yup, this.

RPGs have a naturally long tail, and being able to sell PoE/PoE+WM1/PoE+WM2/PoE Complete Edition, increases effect that even further.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
This century the only two besides MMX with high production value were Wiz8 and Wizards & Warriors. Underworld was okay, paper sorcerer was okay, frayed knights was okay, devil whiskey was okay, any I'm missing I almost positively have and were just okay. Coming up we have Star Crawlers and Bard's Tail for bigger ones. We have underworld 2, frayed knights 2, the single character one on steam, early access, the one that someone posted about recently.
Play superdemo.
:ibelieveincleve:
If people weren't whinny bitches and supported a subgenre they supposedly like we'd also have MMXI, but as far as anyone knows we don't.
If people weren't whinny bitches and supported Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel and Lionheart: Legacy of Crusader we'd also have Fallout 3 made by Black Isle studios, but as far as anyone knows we don't.

This is retarded logic, blaming consumers for underbudgeted/shovelware games not selling in millions of units.

Also lots of wishful thinking on your side - why would success of decent(but far from good) attempt at making blobber make ubisoft invest more into sequel? Or other companies into sequels of other old blobbers? They'd make it on the same shoestring budget, maybe lower this time as assets etc. were done already.

butchy

Prospernaut
Name the better rpg blobbers with quests and shops, npcs released this century besides Wiz8. I think MMX is far better than Wizards & Warriors. But name one besides those two?

FO:BOS is a pure console game, not even a console port travesty. When people buy console games it hurts crpgs, so I'm glad it didn't sell. And the FO3 info I saw didn't really make me sad BIS didn't finish it. They were console game developers by then and I'm glad they closed. I'm would be absolutely ecstatic with joy if Bioware and Bethesda closed too. I would have thrown inXile in with that too but they proved they can make a crpg with WL2, and now we can only hope Bard's Tale is at least as good as MMX was.

And Lionheart wasn't made by BIS.

MMX was by far the best rpg blobber released in the last decade by leaps and bounds - nothing even came close. If you like rpg blobbers you would have to be retarded to shit on the only one to come out that wasn't super indy in over a decade and you wanted more. Wait, that does sum up most "crpg" fans. Console loving, crpg ruining pieces of shit.

And I don't care about the budget, I care about the end product. A MMXI could have less of a budget since the had the engine and assets done. How much less of a budget is Star Crawler being made on? I would much rather have MMXI than not have MMXI because people are being short sighted dicks. I think what killed it was the survey that was sent out and a bunch fucking retards saying they wouldn't buy it unless it had free view and no grids and they could shoot arrows at the flying butterflies because if you can't shoot arrows at the flying butterflies the game is shit.

I really hope to God terrorists blow up Bethesda and fake FO4 is never released so you fucking console loving monkeys can feel my pain for once.

And I would absolutely love for Grimoire to be released.

Morkar Left

Why should expansion packs exclude EE versions? You can do both.

First the expansions and after they are sold you can come up with a super awesome rebalanced EE version which includes all expansions plus additional content like some some extra area, a new monster and an ubersword or something. The end game gets totally redesigned, too (by adding 10.000 hp to the end villain for the ubersword having something to do).

:happytrollboy:

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
FO:BOS is a pure console game, not even a console port travesty. When people buy console games it hurts crpgs, so I'm glad it didn't sell. And the FO3 info I saw didn't really make me sad BIS didn't finish it. They were console game developers by then and I'm glad they closed. I'm would be absolutely ecstatic with joy if Bioware and Bethesda closed too. I would have thrown inXile in with that too but they proved they can make a crpg with WL2, and now we can only hope Bard's Tale is at least as good as MMX was.

And Lionheart wasn't made by BIS.
But think about it, if you'd give Herve your money and buy Fallout tactics, Star Trek shovelware, Descen and Freespace 2(these were good), both Dark Alliances etc. they would have money to make Lionheart with the quality of content of Barcelona everywhere, which you'd buy(I mean, the game would be quite good if the devs would be getting pay-checks after making Barcelona and the rest of it wasn't put in a matter of month or two), then you'd have to buy BoS and the enormous revenue they'd get from it would surely make them develop better, more CRPG-y Fallout 3! Herve said so, he looks trustworthy imho.

That's your logic applied to the different situation, not mine, don't blame me for it.
MMX was by far the best rpg blobber released in the last decade by leaps and bounds - nothing even came close. If you like rpg blobbers you would have to be retarded to shit on the only one to come out that wasn't super indy in over a decade and you wanted more. Wait, that does sum up most "crpg" fans. Console loving, crpg ruining pieces of shit.
Oh yes - Heroes of Might and Magic 6 is also the best Heroes game(I mean Russian King's Bounty games are totally different and low budget, lol!) released in the last 5 years, why is codex hating it so much? :martini:

And btw. Fallout 3 on release was also the best fallout game released in the last 5 years(if you dislike Tactics, bump it up to 9 years - almost a decade)! Dragon Age Inquisition is the best Bioware game since 2010 as well! Skyrim is the best TES game since 2006. Woah, those numbers.

It's almost like winning special Olympics.

The CRPG fans you're talking about are people who don't feel nauseas when playing old games, so you have to convince them that the new game you've made is actually good. But the CRPG crowd bought the game, as the dedicated CRPG crowd(or the part of it that buys games in the first place) is around 100k people big(and according to SteamSpy, M&M has sold ~170k, so the total sales would be around 200k because there's Uplay/physical copies). There are people who aren't core-CRPG crowd but may like different genres, including blobbers if they are good. Not special Olympics-winner good, simply good. Might and Magic X wasn't simply good.

So what, should we buy 5 copies each to prove that we deserve next game(maybe better this time)? And what if we'd buy only 1 copy now but Ubi would double sales expectations? No, it wouldn't work.

Also, if you're so interested in good blobbers - the Tojos make lots of them for portables. Some of them are good(if you can stomach their artstyle).

butchy

Prospernaut
But think about it, if you'd give Herve your money and buy Fallout tactics, Star Trek shovelware, Descen and Freespace 2(these were good), both Dark Alliances etc. they would have money to make Lionheart with the quality of content of Barcelona everywhere, which you'd buy(I mean, the game would be quite good if the devs would be getting pay-checks after making Barcelona and the rest of it wasn't put in a matter of month or two), then you'd have to buy BoS and the enormous revenue they'd get from it would surely make them develop better, more CRPG-y Fallout 3! Herve said so, he looks trustworthy imho.

That's your logic applied to the different situation, not mine, don't blame me for it.

Oh yes - Heroes of Might and Magic 6 is also the best Heroes game(I mean Russian King's Bounty games are totally different and low budget, lol!) released in the last 5 years, why is codex hating it so much? :martini:

And btw. Fallout 3 on release was also the best fallout game released in the last 5 years(if you dislike Tactics, bump it up to 9 years - almost a decade)! Dragon Age Inquisition is the best Bioware game since 2010 as well! Skyrim is the best TES game since 2006. Woah, those numbers.

It's almost like winning special Olympics.

The CRPG fans you're talking about are people who don't feel nauseas when playing old games, so you have to convince them that the new game you've made is actually good. But the CRPG crowd bought the game, as the dedicated CRPG crowd(or the part of it that buys games in the first place) is around 100k people big(and according to SteamSpy, M&M has sold ~170k, so the total sales would be around 200k because there's Uplay/physical copies). There are people who aren't core-CRPG crowd but may like different genres, including blobbers if they are good. Not special Olympics-winner good, simply good. Might and Magic X wasn't simply good.

So what, should we buy 5 copies each to prove that we deserve next game(maybe better this time)? And what if we'd buy only 1 copy now but Ubi would double sales expectations? No, it wouldn't work.

Also, if you're so interested in good blobbers - the Tojos make lots of them for portables. Some of them are good(if you can stomach their artstyle).

I don't have a portable anything to play portable games. I have a pc. My kids have consoles and tablets, because kids like kid shit. My wife has a cell phone since she likes talking. I like playing crpgs so have a pc.

Your thinking is silly. You name specific titles in a genre, instead of a genre. Name a better blobber. You can't. SO people wanting more blobbers, fucked themselves when the answered the survey like a bunch of spoiled bitches.

I don't see how you can argue with this. But keep on fighting the good console fight so you can get more games of the quality of Dark Alliance and whatever other games you think are great. I'll keep supporting the crpg, and give more support to real crpg blobbers made since I like them and want more made. You can continue whining like a bitch when a game in a genre you supposedly like and only has a quality game released for it every decade if we are lucky, and shit on it to make sure less are made. Have fun being weird. I'll have fun being normal.

And I don't know why the console players at the codex would hate HoMM 6. I have no idea, and I don't care. What console lovers like doesn't matter to me, especially relating to non-crpg games. Don't you have some more Dark Souls and Metal Gear to play?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sales stat press release: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/news/Pillars-500K-Sold/

Pillars of Eternity Celebrates 500,000 Copies Sold
Obsidian's CRPG Masterpiece Expanding Across Supplements, Books, and Tabletop Games

Published: October 23, 2015 2:55:00 PM CEST

IRVINE, Calif. and STOCKHOLM — Oct. 23, 2015 — Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive today announced thatPillars of Eternity, the critically acclaimed computer role-playing game (CRPG) made possible by a record-setting crowdfunding campaign, has crossed a new milestone, and has now sold over 500,000 copies worldwide. Including fans who backed Pillars of Eternity on Kickstarter, over half a million players have purchased the game worldwide, making it one of the best-selling games on Steam this year. Pillars of Eternity has gone on to be one of the best reviewed PC games of 2015, and in addition to its two-part expansion The White March, Obsidian has plans to continue to expand upon its rich universe across several forthcoming releases.

“Every one of these milestones, from the completion of our crowdfunding campaign to the game’s release and beyond, is a surreal moment when you consider where this journey began,” said Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment. “Pillars of Eternity has been a life-changing experience for me, and for everyone involved in its creation. Knowing that over half a million people have gotten to share in that is both flattering and humbling. I want to deeply thank all of our fans and supporters. We can’t wait to share what we’ve got next for the world of Eora.”

Following the release of Pillars of Eternity in March, 2015, Obsidian Entertainment has announced several additions and expansions to the world, lore, and gameplay of the award-winning CRPG. An expansion to the based game, titled “The White March,” was announced as a two-part addition, with Part I releasing in August, 2015. A tabletop card game based on the Pillars of Eternity world,Lords of the Eastern Reach, has also been announced for a 2016 release. In addition, several digital books (“eBooks”) are slated to release this year featuring the characters and lore of Pillars of Eternity, authored by members of the game’s core writing team, including Carrie Patel, Eric Fenstermaker, and Paul Kirsch.

“It’s very encouraging to see so much enthusiasm for the classic CRPG alive and well within the gaming community,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “It’s a genre we’re very fond of ourselves, as evidenced by the large number of Pillars of Eternity backers within our own company. Given that Paradox itself grew from tabletop-inspired strategy games, we’ve always believed there was plenty of room for the ‘classic’ genres to thrive, and we’re very proud to see half a million players agree with us.”

Pillars of Eternity is a CRPG inspired by classic titles such asBaldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment, which features an original world and game system that evokes and improves upon the classic experience. Funded via Kickstarter in late 2012, raising $4.5 million through both backer pledges on Kickstarter and Obsidian’s own website, Pillars of Eternity has been a project of passion both for the development team and for the loyal fans who have made it possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom