Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Sales Analysis Thread

Zeriel

Arcane
Skyrim at 28.2% blows my mind considering how almost everyone I know hasn't finished it, including myself, and people I know are the type who usually finish things.

Fairfax

Arcane
Skyrim at 28.2% blows my mind considering how almost everyone I know hasn't finished it, including myself, and people I know are the type who usually finish things.
The thing about a game like Skyrim is that you can speed things up and head stick to the main quest, which doesn't take long on its own. The Witcher 3 at 25.8% was more suprising to me, considering the game was released in May and it's quite long even if you stick to the campaign.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Not a good comparison. Gym & fitness equipment has different levels of quality, but each type of exercise is still the same. Not to mention it's not exactly meant to be entertaining, while games depend on players having fun while they're playing.
Still, you're right, people are lazy fucks who like to waste money on games they'll never play, but some RPGs are more successful than others in this regard. My point here is that devs should be worried about it and try to find out why people abandoned their games.
Most importantly, they shouldn't give people a good reason to delay it even further. In PoE's case, I'd say it's because the middle of the game is pretty boring, but it's more complicated than that, and -in my opinion- it's something that will hurt crowdfunded sequels to KS CRPGs in the future. I just think Obsidian should be looking into that instead of splitting an expansion in two pieces of DLC half a year apart.

The DLC splitting was really stupid, which also shows in the sales, but i dont think it will hurt the KS industry. Divinity OS 2 and Battletech were doing really too well for that. I also dont think Obsidian will have much trouble reaching their KS goals either if they made another kickstarter project now as the general perception on the game is much more positive as it is displayed here on the codex. I think its just easier to abandon a text heavy crpg than a cinematic arpg slideshow, as the latter are more easily digestible for players and they will get out a decent amount of fun playing it to the end spending only half arsed attention. And the Skyrim main story is pretty fucking short also, so if you grow fed up with the game you just rush through as there is also no real challenge to the gameplay.

I'd be more curious about the dark souls series completion rate for example.

Fairfax

Arcane
The DLC splitting was really stupid, which also shows in the sales, but i dont think it will hurt the KS industry. Divinity OS 2 and Battletech were doing really too well for that. I also dont think Obsidian will have much trouble reaching their KS goals either if they made another kickstarter project now as the general perception on the game is much more positive as it is displayed here on the codex. I think its just easier to abandon a text heavy crpg than a cinematic arpg slideshow, as the latter are more easily digestible for players and they will get out a decent amount of fun playing it to the end spending only half arsed attention. And the Skyrim main story is pretty fucking short also, so if you grow fed up with the game you just rush through as there is also no real challenge to the gameplay.

I'd be more curious about the dark souls series completion rate for example.
Not saying splitting DLC hurts the industry, I'm saying low completion rates could (and IMO already have with D:OS2) reduce potential funding for sequels. But yeah, I agree with the rest.
Dark Souls is impossible to say because it switched from GFWL to Steamworks, so the current stats only cover people who played after December 2014, and a lot of people are counted as players with 0 achievements (like myself).
Dark Souls II didn't have that problem, and it's at 37.6% on Steam, which is great IMO. Souls games are long and relatively challenging, yet the completion rate is much higher than other popular RPGs.

Ninjerk

Arcane
About 70-80% of all gym subscribers dont visit the gym at all or very rarely. That doesnt mean that the service of those gyms is lacking, it only means that most people are lazy fucks that cant endure commitment to a challenge.
The gym could also be shit.

imweasel

500K sold copies isn't that bad. Just too bad for Obsidian that Paradox has been selling dirt cheap ROW keys. You could buy PoE for 15$ on Ebay and in keyshops since day one.

Sannom

Augur
:|

From the writer who brought you Sagani and the Devil of Caroc.
And Aloth and Iselmyr.

500K sold copies isn't that bad. Just too bad for Obsidian that Paradox has been selling dirt cheap ROW keys. You could buy PoE for 15$ on Ebay and in keyshops since day one.
Everyone does that. Key trafficking seems to be one hell of a business in Eastern Europe and Singapour.

Sannom

Augur
Oh that's right, it's Singapore in English. Forgot about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom