Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE plot analysis.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And actually, i believe they are not capable of anything better.

I was wondering myself, although I enjoyed the game anyway, but then the last fifteen minutes proved they do know how to make Mask of the Betrayer level of content.

For reasons so and so, they simply chose not to.

Probably because:

:slamdunk:
Actually, the current state of the game and its lack of competitiveness with Mask of the Betrayer levels of role playing was drip fed through the developer updates. The key point was Sawyer's sober acknowledgement that the encounters wouldn't be as developed as in Icewind Dale II.

Johannes

Arcane
Actually, the current state of the game and its lack of competitiveness with Mask of the Betrayer levels of role playing was drip fed through the developer updates. The key point was Sawyer's sober acknowledgement that the encounters wouldn't be as developed as in Icewind Dale II.
Where did he say that? To me that's p. much an acknowledgement of failure. But then it's better to realize that than live in denial.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Where did he say that? To me that's p. much an acknowledgement of failure. But then it's better to realize that than live in denial.
I also remember reading him say that. He said that IWD2 was done with collected wisdom and knowhow from all previous IE games and they will not have that for PoE because it is the first game of its kind

ArchAngel

Arcane
Except it's not the first of its kind, those IE games it was supposed to build upon never disappeared anywhere.
The code is different in PoE. They cannot c/p it from IE games even if we ignore Obsidian has no right to IE games code as it is not their ownership. IWD2 code was built upon years of IE engine development. It is not magic.

hiver

And actually, i believe they are not capable of anything better.
I was wondering myself, although I enjoyed the game anyway, but then the last fifteen minutes proved they do know how to make Mask of the Betrayer level of content.
For reasons so and so, they simply chose not to.

Well... if the general direction and plan was different, and Tim Cain was the Lead.. and if someone would pressure Avellone to stop fucking around and boss him to do as ordered or else ...
Fifteen minutes (or any small singular part) dont matter much because it is the whole gestalt and all of the content that needs to be on the level.

Johannes

Arcane
Except it's not the first of its kind, those IE games it was supposed to build upon never disappeared anywhere.
The code is different in PoE. They cannot c/p it from IE games even if we ignore Obsidian has no right to IE games code as it is not their ownership. IWD2 code was built upon years of IE engine development. It is not magic.
Encounter design is hardly limited by code development time. The engine is at least serviceable that you could potentially make interesting fights in it. It's sawyerism and the ineptitude of area designers that's in the way of good combat first and foremost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom