Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE is total SHIT, therefore BUY IT NOW - Steam Curator Page X Review

roshan

Arcane
Yet they were all very different. BG2, IWD, PST, etc, so you can't review the game accurately (or at all) just by focusing on combat.

It's not that simple. PST has been a top game around here for more than a decade. PoE has more role-playing options than all the IE games combined. Of course, the question is, is it enough to make it a good RPG that can be praised despite its combat, the same way PST and MotB are praised. Sadly, I'm not the one who can answer this question as I stopped playing in Act 2 and can't force myself to continue. Maybe after they patch it a few times.

OK - how exactly are you writing a review for a game you have played only until act 2? How in the world do you even have "review snippets" to post without having played the game?

Hegel

Arcane
He's been defending this shit game for weeks, yet he admits he couldn't bring himself to keep playing past Act 2. At that point any sane person would rate the game 5/10 or worse.
That's even worse than Roguey, at least she doesn't waste your time, you might hear her muffled voice ranting about Josh Sawyer from the depth of the ignore list and that's it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yet they were all very different. BG2, IWD, PST, etc, so you can't review the game accurately (or at all) just by focusing on combat.

It's not that simple. PST has been a top game around here for more than a decade. PoE has more role-playing options than all the IE games combined. Of course, the question is, is it enough to make it a good RPG that can be praised despite its combat, the same way PST and MotB are praised. Sadly, I'm not the one who can answer this question as I stopped playing in Act 2 and can't force myself to continue. Maybe after they patch it a few times.

OK - how exactly are you writing a review for a game you have played only until act 2? How in the world do you even have "review snippets" to post without having played the game?
I'm not writing a review. I posted the 'snippet' for my amusement. I wouldn't have posted a snippet from an actual review. Anything else I can help you with?

He's been defending this shit game for weeks, yet he admits he couldn't bring himself to keep playing past Act 2. At that point any sane person would rate the game 5/10 or worse.
Reading must be teh hard for you.

Hegel

Arcane
Time is currency. I'll wait until you've finished playing this precious gem of a game!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Time is currency.
Not for a man who regularly posts on the Codex.

Anyway, I wasn't defending it, I was arguing with people who were under the impression that somehow BG is a better game. I hope you can tell the difference.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Anyway, I wasn't defending it, I was arguing with people who were under the impression that somehow BG is a better game. I hope you can tell the difference.
Actually you praised it, people said "this is worse than BG" and you let us all know how much you hate BG but love its modern spiritual heir.
Also:
Backpedal.jpg

roshan

Arcane

I'm not writing a review. I posted the 'snippet' for my amusement. I wouldn't have posted a snippet from an actual review. Anything else I can help you with?

Oh, so let me get this right - so basically, you tried the game, got really excited, jizzed your pants on these forums, proclaimed it ultimate roleplaying because CnC!!! Then you made it to Act 2, realized it was complete garbage (though you would never say it outright) in all aspects (story, CnC, world building, quest design, itemization, reward structure, all aspects of combat and encounter design) and quit playing the game, as well as writing the review. And now you are trying to backtrack and claim "I was just trolling the IE fans!" as an excuse so that you can save face?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Actually you praised it, people said "this is worse than BG" and you let us all know how much you hate BG but love its modern spiritual heir.
PoE is better than BG. I don't need to play past Act 2 to tell you that.

I don't love PoE and I've never praised it. You were one of the few people who reacted emotionally to my 'snippet' and now you're sticking to that fantasy.

Oh, so let me get this right - so basically, you tried the game, got really excited, jizzed your pants on these forums, proclaimed it ultimate roleplaying because CnC!!! Then you made it to Act 2, realized it was complete garbage (though you would never say it outright) in all aspects (story, CnC, world building, quest design, itemization, reward structure, all aspects of combat and encounter design) and quit playing the game, as well as writing the review. And now you are trying to backtrack and claim "I was just trolling the IE fans!" as an excuse so that you can save face?
I stopped playing the game a month ago, a few days after I posted my snippet, which was my very first comment on the game. I didn't proclaim it to be ultimate anything.

Lhynn

Arcane
It doesnt matter, in his opinion PoE is still better than BG. You can criticize his taste all you want, but as long as he maintains that posture you cant really give him shit. (he did at least finish BG as far as i know, which is far more than reaching the 1/4 mark and realizing you are so bored its actually painful to go on).
From the begining he was hesitant to call PoE good anyway, so this comes as no surprise.

Edit: Goddamit, ninjaed by the man himself

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It doesnt matter, in his opinion PoE is still better than BG. You can criticize his taste all you want, but as long as he maintains that posture you cant really give him shit. (he did at least finish BG as far as i know, which is far more than reaching the 1/4 mark and realizing you are so bored its actually painful to go on).
From the begining he was hesitant to call PoE good anyway, so this comes as no surprise.

Edit: Goddamit, ninjaed by the man himself

PoE is better than BG. I don't need to play past Act 2 to tell you that.

I don't love PoE and I've never praised it. You were one of the few people who reacted emotionally to my 'snippet' and now you're sticking to that fantasy.

I stopped playing the game a month ago, a few days after I posted my snippet, which was my very first comment on the game. I didn't proclaim it to be ultimate anything.

I am getting some weird cognitive dissonance going on right now. When you asked me to state why I felt BG was better then PoE I basically gave credit to PoE for a few fundamental things like Writing and Companions then proceeded to state BG 1 was superior in every way beyond that.

That's long fucking post.. Wanna do a talk show review together?

If I was gonna quickly jot my thoughts down.

Where PoE Improves on BG 1:
- User Interface
- Artwork
- Writing / Dialogue (Less Jokey Characters / Less Nod Nod Wink Winks )
- Companion Depth
- More abilities and depth in leveling / character creation
- RPGCodex Brothel

Where BG is better than Poe:
- Literally everything else IMO
- Areas are better designed (Just in general - creatures and encounters are spaced out better minus wilderness areas)
- Itemization (Static loot, proper gear progression, Items feel unique when they should be)
- Encounters ( Hard Encounters are Hard unless cheesed)
- Reward Structure (XP and Item Rewards are in proportion to the challenge of getting them, Decisions between items and XP need to be made, Progression doesn't solely happen by sweet talking companions or progressing through Acts)
- Level Design ( Secret Areas, Side Quests hidden in the world, World Feels Lived In)
No arguing here.

If you disagreed, that's fine but you told me that you more or less agreed with my statement..
You also can't even stomach the game past Act 2.. Even I made it farther then you did in PoE.. and I would absolutely rank PoE below every IE game.

But you still state that it's a superior game to BG 1.. Granted you don't hold much love for either game.

I guess my point is.. It still is not clicking in my head why you feel this way. Again your free to have that opinion and it really doesn't matter which girl you think is hottest in math class, I just get confused at the bi-polar responses I get from you about this game. Either your trolling or your not really sure yourself which you hate least. :lol:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I guess my point is.. It still is not clicking in my head why you feel this way. Again your free to have that opinion and it really doesn't matter which girl you think is hottest in math class, I just get confused at the bi-polar responses I get from you about this game. Either your trolling or your not really sure yourself which you hate least. :lol:
He stopped palying it because if he would have finished it he should have to admit that is worse than BG1, unconceivable.

Or is just terminal autism, quite widespread on this board, and VD doubles as RPG developer, whacky people they are.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You stopped palying it because if he would have finished it he should have admitted that is worse than BG1, unconceivable.

I didn't really start hating PoE until Act 2.. It was a gradual thing. This game starts off very strong. It takes a while to see it's weakness, as I described PoE before, this game feels like a series of compromises.

It's like they started with a base game that would have been great. Then Balance happened, Budgets were squandered, Time ran out and what we got was Sawyers Frankenstein with some sprinkles of Tim Cain's under developed and under funded designs.
By Act 4 I was ready to uninstall and never look back.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Apparently it's so much better than BGI that you couldn't finish it. :lol:
I was young then and had plenty of time and patience. I've never praised BG or said anything even remotely good about it. Thus, I didn't expect much from PoE - like I said many times before, Obsidan can't into combat. I did expect great setting, storytelling, and dialogues, and was disappointed. PoE does have its moments but they are rare and much of its content is nothing but filler - characters, dialogues, combat, quests.

Overall, I do consider it a better game than BG.

I am getting some weird cognitive dissonance going on right now. When you asked me to state why I felt BG was better then PoE I basically gave credit to PoE for a few fundamental things like Writing and Companions then proceeded to state BG 1 was superior in every way beyond that.

If you disagreed, that's fine but you told me that you agreed with my statement..
You also can't even stomach the game past Act 2.. Even I made it farther then you did in PoE.. and I would absolutely rank PoE below every IE game.

But you still state that it's a superior game to BG 1.. Granted you don't hold much love for either game.

You said:

If I was gonna quickly jot my thoughts down.

Where PoE Improves on BG 1:
- User Interface
- Artwork
- Writing / Dialogue (Less Jokey Characters / Less Nod Nod Wink Winks )
- Companion Depth
- More abilities and depth in leveling / character creation
- RPGCodex Brothel

Where BG is better than Poe:
- Literally everything else IMO
- Areas are better designed (Just in general - creatures and encounters are spaced out better minus wilderness areas)
- Itemization (Static loot, proper gear progression, Items feel unique when they should be)
- Encounters ( Hard Encounters are Hard unless cheesed)
- Reward Structure (XP and Item Rewards are in proportion to the challenge of getting them, Decisions between items and XP need to be made, Progression doesn't solely happen by sweet talking companions or progressing through Acts)
- Level Design ( Secret Areas, Side Quests hidden in the world, World Feels Lived In)
And that's what I agreed with. I guess your conclusion is that BG is clearly superior. Mine is the other way around.

For me the combat aspect of both games is a write off. I don't care about RTwP and never will. So if combat is shit in both games, the game with better role-playing and writing is more enjoyable for me (to a point, obviously). Since you do like combat and enjoyed BG, you think it's better. Mystary solved.

Lhynn

Arcane
Immortal VD has stated before that the good things in poe are what he cares the most about in an RPG, so im guessing that means that while yes, maybe BG is overall better, it is not as good a game according to his taste.
Edit: holy fucking shit, im done

Kz3r0

Arcane
You stopped palying it because if he would have finished it he should have admitted that is worse than BG1, unconceivable.

I didn't really start hating PoE until Act 2.. It was a gradual thing. This game starts off very strong. It takes a while to see it's weakness, as I described PoE before, this game feels like a series of compromises.

It's like they started with a base game that would have been great. Then Balance happened, Budgets were squandered, Time ran out and what we got was Sawyers Frankenstein with some sprinkles of Tim Cain's under developed and under funded designs.
By Act 4 I was ready to uninstall and never look back.
Wrong pronoun, sorry.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
-snip-

For me the combat aspect of both games is a write off. I don't care about RTwP and never will. So if combat is shit in both games, the game with better role-playing and writing is more enjoyable for me (to a point, obviously). Since you do like combat and enjoyed BG, you think it's better. Mystary solved.

Immortal VD has stated before that the good things in poe are what he cares the most about in an RPG, so im guessing that means that while yes, maybe BG is overall better, it is not as good a game according to his taste.
Edit: holy fucking shit, im done

Ahh gotcha, We place different emphasis on what is important in a game - in the void where Combat is shit.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Precisely.

Didn't VD's saves get corrupted or something.
An entire district turned hostile when I entered it for the first time. Copper-something. The other districts were ok.

Anyway, I've learned my lessons. RPGs are serious business and people have feelings. No more snippets from a non-existing review.

Hegel

Arcane
The game is shit, everything is bad and I couldn't finish it, yet I consider it better than BGI. Hey, back then I did have lot of free time after all. Hopefully nobody will notice the contradiction: so little free time I have that the hype got the best of me and I did even start a review. As I said, my free time is limited, you see I must be more selective, please believe that (I'd rather die than admit to a bunch of fags that I was wrong). :lol:

P.S. I'm just joking and trolling a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom