Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please convince me to play Chrono Trigger.

spekkio

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
Final Fantasy is a retarded series and definitely among the worst things to ever come out of Japan.
:?

Andyman Messiah said:
The games get shittier and shittier with every installment and live on purely because of fanboyism who stupidly believe in "the legacy of the great Final Fantasy series".
:(

Andyman Messiah said:
You gotta promise you'll keep it a secret, though. I need to keep up the illusion for my FF8 lp!
:cry:

Andyman Messiah said:
Why Final Fantasy Tactics get so much praise around these parts, though, I'll never understand. It's really one of the worst strategy rpgs out there. Play Tactics Ogre, Mrowak, for all the reasons Spekkio listed and plenty more.
:smug:

For a moment I thought that this is serious post...
Anyway:

9/10, would read again.

SUDDENLY

http://squallsdead.com/

endshot8.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Andyman Messiah said:
spekkio said:
@Andy: What's with your love for Final Fantasy series, horsie?
No love for it at all, actually. Final Fantasy is a retarded series and definitely among the worst things to ever come out of Japan. The games get shittier and shittier with every installment and live on purely because of fanboyism who stupidly believe in "the legacy of the great Final Fantasy series".

You gotta promise you'll keep it a secret, though. I need to keep up the illusion for my FF8 lp!

Why Final Fantasy Tactics get so much praise around these parts, though, I'll never understand. It's really one of the worst strategy rpgs out there. Play Tactics Ogre, Mrowak, for all the reasons Spekkio listed and plenty more.

Already downloaded Andyman. I will give it a spin this evening
2Znzz.png

Yeah, FF is pretty much the most overrated game series ever. I still like FF V and VI and maybe IX (for the charm they so royally fucked up in parts VII and VIII) - but let's face it - even the best of them are not even in 0.1% as "deep", "immersive", and "mature" as fanboys hail them to be (and the fanboys actually like the worst as evidenced by the majestic horse's lp). Fuck, they were never meant to be received as such in the first place.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
larpingdude17 said:
breath of fire 2 is also a very good jrpg it has great graphics for a snes game

Random encounters fucking EVERYWHERE!

I tried giving Romancing SaGa 3 a go because the open endedness intrigued me, but holy dicks is the translation shit. I can't make heads nor tails of the menu thanks to the atrocious font. It also seems that some things have been left untranslated. I kind of wanna play this game, but the fans did a shitty job. Or at least the one I'm using is pretty lame. Maybe I'll have a look to see if there's a better one.

lightbane

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
larpingdude17 said:
breath of fire 2 is also a very good jrpg it has great graphics for a snes game

Random encounters fucking EVERYWHERE!

Yep, that's one of BOF series' main flaws. By the way, I would add to the list these three games:

1. Metal Max Returns: It's some sort of "Earthbound meets Fallout" jrpg. The game is soft on the story but heavy on gameplay: You see, the setting is a post-apocalyptic background, but you can use TANKS. Even better, there are 8 different models of these and you can customize their weapons, their engines, the quantity of armor you add to them (the more armor the less damage the tank receives but its speed is lowered in exchange), the weapons (that can be also customized for greater magazines, greater firepower or special ammo) and such. Also, there aren't any healing skills here, only items, and each party member has a limited inventory like Earthbound. Random gameplay video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr7F94NW0Go

The game got a sequel for the PS2 (and another one for the DS but it has not been translated yet). There are lots of random encounters too but since you can use tanks the game is rather easy.

2. Cyberknight 2 (skip the 1st game, it's not that great). Another jrpg, this time a sci-fi setting. Your characters don't have special powers but you can use mechs/power armors (there are several types that can be upgraded) and customize their weapons. Unlike other jrpgs, there isn't any kind of money here, the only thing you can get from random encounters are parts of the enemies that you can later investigate to create new weapons or upgrades. You also have a limited supply of healing items. It's also a bit short.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just play the Suikoden series instead. Choice and Consequences baby! And you get to load in all your save games from previous ones.

Suck on that WCRPG's!

Murk

Arcane
Mrowak said:
I see disturbing lack of love for Final Fantasy 5. While the storyline is juvenile - which is okay because the game does not come from an era where every product pretended to be grimdark, mature and omg deep the job system it implements is simply amazing - it was later reintroduced in FF Tactics games.

FF 3 (NES) also had the job system, and a metric ass load of jobs too (as well as shit like 12 hits per attack).

Also about "Tactics Ogre". What is the Codex's consensus on this? Any good? I would do with a fun tactical game - preferably if it was reasonably difficult.

Same team would go on to make FF Tactics. It is a more simple yet ambitious and brutal version of FF tactics. Its brutality comes from the AI raping you if you don't keep up to par with levels, its simplicity however makes the opposite far too easy. Features perma-death (resurrection spell is a late-game ability, and you won't use it anyway) and some heavy c&c (though that mostly influences which party members you get and what classes your main bro can be).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Just play the Suikoden series instead. Choice and Consequences baby! And you get to load in all your save games from previous ones.

Suck on that WCRPG's!

Only played Suikoden 2 extensively (which is often seen as the best in the series) but it's really boring. The story is kind of cool, but the gameplay is a complete snoozefest. It's even easier than games intended as a "My First RPG".

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hobo Elf said:
Jaesun said:

Suck on that WCRPG's!

Only played Suikoden 2 extensively (which is often seen as the best in the series) but it's really boring. The story is kind of cool, but the gameplay is a complete snoozefest. It's even easier than games intended as a "My First RPG".

I actually think 5 is better then 2, but 2 is still pretty good.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Since I cannot into Romancing SaGa 3 I started playing Rudra's Treasure. It's pretty neat, you can create spells by typing in words. You are supposed to use key words like MEGA-, -GOD and Ig etc. to create spells (MEGAIG for example) but you can type in other words too to make spells as well.

rudranohihou.jpg

Cassidy

Arcane
Unlike some people here, I don't see why be ashamed of having enjoyed a few JRPGs. In ways I prefer the way average highschool went, where for example there was a dude who mentioned FF7 and nobody really gave a shit(neither starting a fanboy circle-jerk nor mocking him), but on the other hand nobody would begin a conversation with the theme being a strong desire of becoming a woman. Seriously, a place where people have "shame" of playing games that aren't that horrible next to the smegma of the west like Oblivion and Fable 3 but feel open about revelaing their faggotry, pedo tendencies and sick tranny shit is the home of a sick Hivemind.

But don't waste time with Chrono Trigger. Terranigma as an Action JRPG is ironically a much better option with more C&C than the usual ilk, as are most tactical JRPGs. There is a simple way to describe "pure JRPGs": Imagine Wizardry without character creation and a much more grindy, uninspired and at the same time dumbed down "blob" system. Now add the most cliché plot you can think about.

The best of the early 1990s JRPGs are nothing next to the best CRPGs of the same time, but they are much better than the shit Bethesda and Bioware delivers as of late unless you like Pop-a-mole and politically correct sex scenes with dating.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
C&C in jrpgs? Yeah right. I love Terranigma but choice and consequence in that game is that you either do the shit that benefit you or you just don't do the shit that benefit you. There's one place where you actually have to choose and can screw up but otherwise it's really nothing to talk about.

Cassidy

Arcane
It's not that different from "C&C" in Bioware games, which fanboys have swarmed the Codex recently. Mostly limited to side quests involving whether to do something that will make a town become a city or not. Compared to other JRPGs where towns are completely static that is already a difference.

Murk

Arcane
There are legitimate options for helping to expand the towns at points in Terranigma that you can fuck up or help to blossom.

Also, just a plain fun game.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Cassidy said:
It's not that different from "C&C" in Bioware games, which fanboys have swarmed the Codex recently. Mostly limited to side quests involving whether to do something that will make a town become a city or not. Compared to other JRPGs where towns are completely static that is already a difference.
Compared to Alpha Protocol, where you can choose to get a advantage or not.

dermatologist

Educated
no love for xenogears? i thought that game was pretty chill but it's a bit of a trip nay miz? plus there are hella animated videos so you won't feel a need to queue up the hentai and/or dragon ball z reruns if you are into that shit

Zomg

Arbiter
Tried Terranigma 'cause of this thread and shit is gayballs, the RPG ELEMENTS make it so it's an actiony Zelda that gets easier every time you fuck up (since all the monsters respawn and you get more XP) instead of every time you find a heart container, same reason I didn't like Secret of Mana

Murk

Arcane
Zomg said:
Tried Terranigma 'cause of this thread and shit is gayballs, the RPG ELEMENTS make it so it's an actiony Zelda that gets easier every time you fuck up (since all the monsters respawn and you get more XP) instead of every time you find a heart container, same reason I didn't like Secret of Mana

I'm gonna be real with you zomg, I think you're too old* and jaded to actually enjoy anything that you don't have crazy love for already.

*I assume you're like 40 or some shit.

Zomg

Arbiter
With concerted effort I can love a new roguelike that is less than 10% different than stuff I like already

I wasn't thumbsdowning it because of the beginning bit with the towers, I could understand all that was basically for small children to learn the game with and I gave it a pass. I'm genuinely criticizing the stuff that makes it Zelda-but-not-as-good.

Also I can see how you would dig the dead planet stuff on the SNES back in the '90s but it's true I can really only get gameplay out of it rather than atmosphere at this point.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I loved Secret of Mana...

Still have my copy and my SNES in a box out in the garage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom