Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Plea to help get Dominions 3 onto Steam - Complex, deep, engaging 4x fantasy game. Hugely Underrated

Name

Cipher
Here's a novel idea: make the better and prettier Dominions 4, then go on Steam with it. Everybody wins.

That is happening too, but meanwhile.

*shrug* me, I voted the day it appeared there, and probably left a comment too. Still, being a selfish swine, I'd rather have a new game than have them dwelling further on their laurels 7 years after releasing the old one :smug:

And yeah, gog must be a much better choice. Then again, Greenlight isn't so much a way to get a publishing deal as it is a way to generally get a word out. Free advertisement platform. Not to mention IW are DRM-obsessed; they were banning the fucking manual from being available in pdf form for 5 years out of fear the evil pirates would get their hands upon it and figure how to play the game :roll:

But their games are selling on Desura and GamersGate! It's DRM-free, right?

mondblut

Arcane
But their games are selling on Desura and GamersGate! It's DRM-free, right?

Not necessarily. Never used Desura, but games on GG often have a third party DRM (or rather, first party - you still get to enter a serial, login into the developer's very own verification scheme, etc).

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It is just a product key verification/activation. I think it might even be offline. That is about as close as you can get to DRM free without having any copyright protections at all. According to many definitions of DRM(we don't quite have one agreed on definition) a simple product key check doesn't even count as DRM, although it is still copyright protection.

I've never heard anyone protest that strongly against a product key check(unless it is also coupled with limited activations). It isn't particularly inconvenient for the consumer and most people would say that it is a reasonable precaution for a publisher to take to protect their game. As opposed to other forms of DRM that restrict consumer rights rather severely and are rather inconvenient.

I'm anti-DRM, fuck steam, but I've never had a problem with being required to validate a simple product key.

mondblut

Arcane
It is just a product key verification/activation. I think it might even be offline. That is about as close as you can get to DRM free without having no copyright protections at all. According to many definitions of DRM(we don't quite have one agreed on definition) a simple product key check doesn't even count as DRM, although it is still copyright protection.

Point is, to my knowledge GOG releases never have even that, and since 90% of GOG's self-marketing is priding itself on being DRM-free, that's very unlikely to change.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So they finally dropped the 60$ price? Nice. Late but whatever, at least some more people can try out the mp. Because the game isnt very fun in sp.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
So they finally dropped the 60$ price? Nice. Late but whatever, at least some more people can try out the mp. Because the game isnt very fun in sp.

The price has been 20€ since it was released on desura a year ago.

Overboard

Arcane
Har har, yes Steam tards and whatnot. But, seriously, put aside the anti-Steam fetish and try to be objective. A developer wants to sell copies of their games. It's sort of how they feed, clothe, and shelter themselves.

I agree that from a purely business standpoint it's a good move, and in fact considering their previous decisions regarding pricing and distribution this is genius level for them. I am opposed to steam though, and knowing your stance on them it there were pretty good odds you'd have to respond to my post :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom