Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playstation 3 recommendations

Doctor Gong

Literate
My dusty old PS3 is still working and was wondering what the Codex would recommend playing as I have some off time and might actually do some Console Gaming.

I have among some complete garbage sports titles.

Final Fantasy X/X-2
Final Fantasy XIII (Edit)
Grand Turismo 5
GTA V
Heavy Rain
Red Dead Redemption
Uncharted 1-3

Any of this worth playing in 2023?
Is there any titles worth keeping a eye for at flea markets and so on?

Last edited:
My list of PS3 exclusive (or at least, Sony console exclusive) titles that are worth playing:

- 3D Dot Game Heroes (Zelda clone)
- Dead Nation (twinstick shooter)
- Demon's Souls (RPG)
- Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware beat 'em up, most obviously inspired by Capcom's Dungeons and Dragons games of the 90s. Not as good but still decent. Great art and visuals. Gets very repetitive and grindy by the end)
- Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection (great remasters of these 2 classic games)
- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (Vanillaware action/advenure, repetitive but pretty cool)
- Resogun (great twinstick shooter by Housemarque inspired by Defender, unfortunately the PS3 version runs at 30fps)
- Ridge Racer 7 (for some unfathomable reason this version doesn't have controller vibration, but runs at 1080p native and is pretty good)
- Shatter (downloadable game, Arkanoid/Breakout inspired)
- The Last Guy (downloadable game, Japan Studio)
- Tokyo Jungle (downloadable game, Japan Studio game where you play as various animals trying to survive in a post apoc Tokyo)
- Trash Panic (downloadable game, another quirky Japan Studio game, it's a weird take on Tetris)

That's about it. Otherwise the PS3 is a popamole garbage decline machine with mostly sub 30fps shit games that run better on other platforms.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is there any titles worth keeping a eye for at flea markets and so on?
  • Soul Calibur IV (2008, Namco) is a good fighting game only available on console
  • Demon's Souls (2009, From Software) is the first Souls game and still the best; also remains a PS3 exclusive
  • Yakuza 3 (2009, Sega), 4 (2010), and 5 (2012) were all released on PS3 but had revised re-releases on PS4 in 2018/2019
  • Flower (2009, ThatGameCompany) is an artsy pseudo-game worth experiencing once as an experiment
  • Dark Souls (2011, From Software), though it had a PC port the next year
  • Ico (2001, Sony) and Shadow of the Colossus (2005, Sony) were re-released as a compilation on the PS3 (2011) with slightly improved graphics from the original PS2 versions
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (2012/2013, Capcom), though it was finally ported to the PC in 2016
  • Dragon's Crown (2013, Vanillaware) is a beat-'em-up with RPG elements never ported to PC or anything else except a handheld device

Venser

Erudite
Metal Gear Solid 4
Demon's Souls
Red Dead Redemption
Final Fantasy XIII (it's also on Steam tho)
The Darkness
The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Folklore
Puppeteer
Siren: Blood Curse

Baron Dupek

Arcane
NIER is considered "Planescape Torment for consoles" and it's not bright-colors weeby...

Drakengard 3 runs 30 fps on real hardware but has slowdowns during most intense dragon battles and with lots of suicide guys involved.

RPCS3 run it with 60 fps patch and no slowdowns.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never see Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll mentioned, so I'll say that. I even platinumed it.

Puppeteer is a charming side scrolling platformer. You collect the heads of monsters to gain new abilities.

If you don't mind using a guide to get you forward, Yakuza Kenzan! is a fun game, but not translated.

inFAMOUS 1 and 2 are two two of few open world "super hero" games that I actually like. Fun powers, and fun traversal.

LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2 are okay, but if you don't like floaty controls, skip. They are more fun in co-op, though.

Modnation Racers or LittleBigPlanet Karting but ONLY to face others in multiplayer. Story mode is crap, but we spent hundreds of hours playing 4 player couch versus.

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, and Ratchet & Clank: Qest for Booty are all fun action platformers.

Demon's Souls on PS3 is still my preferred version of the game. It might have performance issues, but I still enjoy it.

If you can stand weeb games, Tales of Graces f has one of the most fun combat systems of any action jrpg.

Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord is a visual novel/tactical rpg mix. It didn't get the best reception, but I had fun with it.

I wouldn't play FFXIII or the Uncharted games even if you paid me. GTA V is meh, definitely the worst in the series. Gran Turismo 5 is fun with a steering wheel, otherwise I wouldn't bother. I liked the previous games better.

Get all the Motorstorm games, they're awesome! You can probably get them for a dollar somewhere. EDIT: Oh yeah, Split Second too.

I've also enjoyed the Metal Gear Solid HD collection and Metal Gear Solid 4 (the first half of the game is pretty good). They can go for a bit more, though.

Spike

Educated
There's a Deception game only on PS3. Deception IV: Blood Ties. Also Demon's Souls of course. Best game on there. And there was Yakuza 3, 4, 5 but they are on PC now. Same with Nier. Red Dead Redemption is absolutely worth playing, as well as Undead Nightmare. And a Conan game that I remember really enjoying the demo for. Also Armored Core IV, For Answer, 5, and Verdict Day. There is also Condemnded 2: Bloodshot stuck on the PS3 so definitely grab that. Beating up homeless people for the win! The JRPG Eternal Sonata. Folklore. Majin & The Forsaken Kingdom. White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2 for JRPG, made by Level-5 who did Dark Cloud 1 and 2 and Rogue Galaxy. Resonance of Fate, another JRPG (unique). Ni-no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (another JRPG also by Level-5, looks like a Ghibli film as a video game).

Doctor Gong

Literate
IIRC, GTA V was one of the last PS3 games and used every trick learned to work on the hardware. I have it on the PC so no real need to use a PS3.

Elttharion

Learned
Heavenly Sword.
Tales of Xillia 1 and 2.
Tales of Graces F.
Ar nosurge.

Nothing amazing tho. Most of the better games were already posted here or were ported to PC/PS4.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Wipeout HD+Fury, although the boxed version of Wipeout HD+Fury Expansion was only released in Europe (digital-only everywhere else for base game and dlc/expansion) so it might be rather hard to find on the flea market depending on where you live, the high seas however always have a copy available as an iso... It's my go to on and off "arcade" racer, the campaign mode's "grid" structure they first introduced in Wipeout Pulse helps with this since it throws some varied curated challenges your way. It's also rather challenging if you aim for gold medals.

Real shame Namco never made a mainline Ace Combat game on the PS3 and put one on the x360 instead for some reason. Those games were a good reason to get a PS2.

Final Fantasy X/X-2
Final Fantasy XIII (Edit)
Grand Turismo 5
GTA V
Heavy Rain
Red Dead Redemption
Uncharted 1-3
FFX is really brought down by the absolute garbage corridor walking that forms the bulk of the game. There's no actual level design until the last third or quarter of the obligatory main story path, with the exception of 2, maybe 3 temples along the way with some simple puzzles. On top of that the main story path is extremely linear without even an illusion of freedom let alone actual one, you can't really go visit some optional village or dungeon on the side or something, it doesn't open up allowing you to "easily" backtrack until almost the very end of the storyline. Shame because the combat is rather decent as far as FF games go, both due to the (soft-)counter system and the initiative/speed introduction (being less wonky than ATB was in prior games) not to mention the design around "hot-swapping" party members during the fight, and the sphere grid character system is probably the one I liked the most out of those FF I played (particularly in the "international" sphere grid version where you can easily do hybrid builds from the start or build characters in other than "intended" directions). Also the gear customization mechanic and Aeon stat customization/leveling (even if grindy) were other good mechanical additions.

Good music though (it was Nobuo Uemats'u last time he did the bulk of the composing in this series, apart from the FFXIV MMO) and a rather decent story, once you look past Tidus' whining/daddy issues and some of the worst weebslop/animu tropes/trends at least. Currently replaying it, the PS Vita version specifically, so this is a very fresh impression.

Gran Turismo 5 is quite good "sim-lite" if you need a racing fix, but it is grindier than prior games and the DLC-cancer struck this game already and locked out cars you can see in the damn car dealears not telling you they are DLC cars until you actually want to buy them in a very dick move. Luckily Sony half-assed the protection and a save editor out of all things can enable all the car DLC packs :lol:
One can also argue that the ideal racing line display it introduces is the quest compass of racing games and declineeee. I did however have fun buying some used vintage muscle car and tuning the shit out of it to some obscene horsepower (more or less the core appeal of this series, take junk car, tune the shit out of it) until I needed a proper super/hypercar to win cups. As a bonus it was contemporary to the Clarkson/Hammond/May Top gear run/peak popularity so it has the Top Gear test track and cars you might remember/recognize from that show if you watched it back in the day. At least for me it was a decent bonus when I played it for the first time 4-ish years ago.

I liked the first RDR and even managed to do 100% in it (the only other Rockstar game I ever did that in was GTA:SA), but that's probably because I enjoyed the western wilderness great outdoors and setting, as the shootan is... bland I guess? Forgettable? Not sure what the right word would be. Certainly not the main attraction of the game anyway. It is for various reasons better than the sequel, particularly the story isn't so aggravating, it's not infected with the cinematic-design fetishism ('muh slow walking sequence), and it doesn't have 'muh immersive cinematic long animations for looting and dumb QTE-like interactions to do shit instead of simple single button presses. That is to say it feels more like a game trying not to waste the players time with bullshit and less like an interactive movie made by writers with delusions of being good/deep.

GTA V has a billion better re-releases and playing the OG PS3 version makes no sense, assuming you want to try it despite some common criticism like the open world feeling like empty filler compared to prior games in the series and other claims of decline such as simplified/dumbed down driving physics compared to GTA IV, being more "cinematic" etc.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Playstation all stars is underrated and worth playing. It's a decent enough smash clone and you can have fun a few hours playing it with friends or against the CPU. It's horribly imbalanced with some characters able to get multiple kills off early supers while others struggle to get a single kill off their ones but... it's a party game. Fuck balance, punch Sly cooper in the balls.

Spike

Educated
Playstation all stars is underrated and worth playing. It's a decent enough smash clone and you can have fun a few hours playing it with friends or against the CPU. It's horribly imbalanced with some characters able to get multiple kills off early supers while others struggle to get a single kill off their ones but... it's a party game. Fuck balance, punch Sly cooper in the balls.
I'll have you know that Sly Cooper will be doing the majority of the ball-punching.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I'll have you know that Sly Cooper will be doing the majority of the ball-punching.
Hello deviant art.

Raiden is utterly back breaking. His level 2 makes any attack kill and lasts forever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom