Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing RPGs released years before you began playing RPGs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I started playing PC games in the very early 90s after a youth filled with NES and SNES games. I mostly played point and click adventure games and shooters for a long while though, and the first RPG I played that I can remember is Fallout, unless you count Diablo.

My issue now is that as new releases I like dry up and DRM is taking me away from gaming, I plan to go back and play all the old RPG classics I missed out on. A lot of these are from before I got into the genre and I want to play them, but when I try them out I find them really hard to get into. For instance I have purchased the Might and Magic pack on GOG and just tried out Betrayal in Antara today... they both are interesting, but I worry I won't be able to play them.

It's not a pacing issue, I love plenty of slow-paced games. Neither is it a turn-based issue obviously, as I got into RPGs when they were turn-based. I simply find it hard to play games that with mechanics and presentation from before I got into the genre... I replay old games all the time from the eras I already enjoyed, I am re-playing Arcanum right now waiting for New Vegas, but games from before 1996 or so... not so much.

Any tips? Anyone know what I mean?

bhlaab

Erudite
Eh, DOS and early Windows games just have bad interfaces. I don't think it has anything to do with them being 'before your time' or whatever, just that PC gaming was very enthusiast-driven until around the time Doom became a global phenomenon.

Xi

Arcane
You have to force yourself to play them for 5-10 hours. Once you put forth some effort, they become far more intriguing. What you will find is that the mechanics are much deeper than in modern games.

Yes, the graphics aren't as good, but look past that. Just keep playing. Hell go read a manual for them so you understand how everything works. Or follow some fan websites for a bit. Build them up in your head!

Personally, I found Might and Magic 6,7, and 8 highly accessible when I played them maybe 2-3 years ago for the first time. I might even have to fire them up again! Loved M&M 6! You might even watch some videos of other people playing them.

I think you'd find MM6 the most accessible. Still, World of Xeen was pretty sweet from what I played. I didn't play it long, but not because I didn't like it, I simply had other time commitments.

Here is some inspiration:(Minus the dood talking)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnnpj-u ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2oWtOj0 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AfwA6Li ... re=related

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Xi said:
You have to force yourself to play them for 5-10 hours. Once you put forth some effort, they become far more intriguing.

This, basically.
I had the same problem with games released in the times before I even had a PC, like X-Com or Yendorian Tales, but it's all a matter of getting familiar with them. After some time, You won't even notice the interface quirks and other stuff like that.

Xi

Arcane
^

Exactly! Also, like I was saying, it will surprise you when you find more depth in those old games than you do in modern games. Modern games are soulless shells with pretty graphics. Seriously, it's no contest!

It boils down to understanding the mechanics, how to advance, and the myriad of options and strategies you can build in groups. Plus, there's lots of hidden shit, and a huge world. Totally worth it!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Xi said:
You have to force yourself to play them for 5-10 hours. Once you put forth some effort, they become far more intriguing. What you will find is that the mechanics are much deeper than in modern games.

Yes, the graphics aren't as good, but look past that. Just keep playing. Hell go read a manual for them so you understand how everything works. Or follow some fan websites for a bit. Build them up in your head!

Like I said, I played and still play a lot of old games, graphics are not the issue, and I know RPGs from 10 years ago are better, I played them all.

I am mostly talking about pre-1995 stuff, where the interface and controls are more the issue.

Archibald

Arcane
Interface isn`t biggest problem imo. There are some features that gamers got used to and take it for granted.

For me best example would be "Where is my fucking minimap/map? I have to draw it MYSELF ON PAPER WITH PENCIL????".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Archibald said:
Interface isn`t biggest problem imo. There are some features that gamers got used to and take it for granted.

For me best example would be "Where is my fucking minimap/map? I have to draw it MYSELF ON PAPER WITH PENCIL????".

Indeed.

Rude Dude

Educated
Try Lands of Lore 1, it was pretty "modern" for 1994.
Even RoA had an automap for the dungeons and a map for the travel.

ChristofferC

Magister
My first RPG was Baldur's Gate II. I'm currently playing Betrayal at Krondor. Good games are good no matter how old they are.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm.. one of the first PC games I played was 4d sports boxing, dangerous dave, and the like. First RPG.. I cannot really tell, must have been something on the C64.

For me, I have no problem at all to play games "from before my time", but this goes mostly for arcade games.

With RPG's or strategy for example, it is a bit more difficult, but the graphics are not much of a problem for me. It is the interface, you just get so used to, say, using a mouse (!), point and click systems, and such.. It is just quite hard to get used to an older interface.

If you manage to put enough effort in it, couple of hours maybe, then it will be fine.

flushfire

Augur
this thread reminds me of trying to get into independence war 2 a few days ago and not being able to get out of the objectives menu no matter what key i pressed. god that sucked.

Zomg

Arbiter
Might and Magic III-V are as good as RPG interfaces get from the early '90s. They're missing tooltips and the inventory is mediocre to bad, but otherwise it's very solid after you learn the hotkeys. If you can't handle those UIs there's nothing from that era you will be able to enjoy. Might and Magic VI+ are late '90s to '00s so they're a whole different (ugly) thing.

Don't play Betrayal at Antara if old games are a struggle for you, it's just a mediocre rehash of Betrayal at Krondor. BaK is a better payoff for the interface pain.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Zomg said:
Don't play Betrayal at Antara if old games are a struggle for you, it's just a mediocre rehash of Betrayal at Krondor. BaK is a better payoff for the interface pain.

I got Krondor in the same pack but it has some massive color issues I haven't solved yet. I do plan to give it a go though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
bhlaab said:
Eh, DOS and early Windows games just have bad interfaces.
World of Xeen had a better interface than any CRPG of the past 10 years that I care to think about. So did Dark Sun.

Meh, modern interfaces are overrated. They're clumsy as fuck.

ChristofferC said:
Good games are good no matter how old they are.
This.

DaveO

Erudite
If you enjoy a more tactical element than Real Time With Pause, a lot of RPGs will fill the bill. Realms of Arkania, the DOS M&M games, and the earlier Wizardries and Gold Box games come to mind. Yes, you might have to rely on paper and pencil for your map but a good RPG will draw you in regardless of graphics or interface.

Stabwound

Arcane
Archibald said:

Yeah, that's probably the most limiting factor for me. I can't be arsed to play any game that requires me to draw maps on grid paper. I just don't find it fun to do. Automapping is probably one of the biggest inclines in CRPG gaming, ie I can stand to play the Wizardry 1-3 remakes that have automapping, but could never play the originals.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Got first PC in 1996, before that it was just console crap like everyone else. Have to admit it's hard to get into older RPG's, but adventure games for some reason are no problem.

Pablosdog

Prophet
First game I ever played on pc was commander keen...i was about 4..so 1991? I've been gaming on pc for a very long time. Played doom lan when i was around 7, first played quake at 8. Played the fallout demo before fallout was even released. I'm pretty old school for being so young :smug:

I think the first rpg i played was one of the ultimas.

Quilty

Magister
I remember trying to play some M&M game and Albion, but jesus christ, those sections of walking first-person though dozens of identical corridors... Do those games have good writing at least? Or some fun combat that grows on you after a while? I don't even care if the interface sucks ass (hell, I still play Hidden Agenda, if that means anything), but I need me some redeeming aspects.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Pablosdog said:
First game I ever played on pc was commander keen...i was about 4..so 1991? I've been gaming on pc for a very long time. Played doom lan when i was around 7, first played quake at 8. Played the fallout demo before fallout was even released. I'm pretty old school for being so young :smug:
I think the first rpg i played was one of the ultimas.
Son I am disappoint full of approval. :incline: of young people.

Quilty said:
I remember trying to play some M&M game and Albion, but jesus christ, those sections of walking first-person though dozens of identical corridors... Do those games have good writing at least? Or some fun combat that grows on you after a while? I don't even care if the interface sucks ass (hell, I still play Hidden Agenda, if that means anything), but I need me some redeeming aspects.
OTOH, maybe not. :?

I simply find it hard to play games that with mechanics and presentation from before I got into the genre...

I got into the genre pretty recently (within the last two years) but coming from a background in arcade shooters and fighting games it was the 'dated' 2D graphics that drew me to the older releases to begin with.

If you find refined and well-done 2D (Xeen, RoA 2-3, LoL, Ultima 7, VGA Gold Box games, EoBII, etc.) to be difficult to stomach then you should probably go back to your garish, filtered, shiny polygons. The people who think presentation has been improving since the VGA-era baffle me completely. It's like comparing an animated Disney film from the '40s to something out of Pixar today. The artistry is gone, to these eyes.

Though I will admit that CGA and EGA graphics can be an acquired taste. But they too possess an undeniable aesthetic and charm, not despite their limitations but thanks to them.

MikeJahn

Educated
Personally I think that RPG design and interface got to its best towards the mid-late 90's where basically isometric graphics could be displayed in very fine detail, sound could be played in high quality and interface worked out due to many years of experience. I think eventually RPG's will move back to that sort of design once the masses get bored of Fallout 3 type of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom