Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing Orc Must Die sure is a good way to get CTS

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
One click = one shot with crossbow. God damn. 10 levels and I need to rest my arm, and I usually click like a fucker when playing most games, but this takes the price.
Clickclickclickclickclick. It's very satisfying though. :thumbsup:
I like how upgrades are expensive relative the points you get per level clear. It forces you to choose a type of game plan. Mine is shutting off all paths except one with barricades, put up a top of damage traps with slows and some archers as well. And me with the crossbow, 400 shots per minute.
Much better than that sci-fi FPS/TD hybrid game.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I tried the demo and found it extremely boring, to be honest. Not a terrible game but just doesn't really seem to have much strategy to it. Without mazing and more enemy variety there's very little left to do other than place your traps right and spam attacks. Compared to something like Sanctum this reeks of casual XBLA fodder.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah it's pretty easy and you need to beat levels on normal difficulty before unlocking hard. That sucks.
I found it to be a lot more enjoyable than Sanctum though.
You get a barricade block for mazing after a few levels.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, you aren't supposed to spam click the crossbow. The aiming degrades the faster you shoot so it's intended you line up headshots versus machine gun them down. PC version isn't released until the 12th so I'm guessing you played Xbox. Disappointed to hear that normal mode is as easy as the three introductory missions in the demo are -- hopefully the nightmare mode is challenging. With Dungeon Defenders coming out on the 19th I decided to put OMD off until the Holiday sales.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Disagree. Although I will give you that there is definitely a pretty low ceiling as to how much you can improve on the tower defense genre. I'm also a big fan of the recently birthed FPS/TD genre.

Multi-headed Cow

Metro said:
Well, you aren't supposed to spam click the crossbow. The aiming degrades the faster you shoot so it's intended you line up headshots versus machine gun them down. PC version isn't released until the 12th so I'm guessing you played Xbox. Disappointed to hear that normal mode is as easy as the three introductory missions in the demo are -- hopefully the nightmare mode is challenging. With Dungeon Defenders coming out on the 19th I decided to put OMD off until the Holiday sales.
This. Go for headshots. Much less annoying to do than machinegunning your crossbow and roughly as effective unless you're really bad at aiming vaguely at their heads.
And OMD has been pirated for a day or two now, so he could be playing a not removed from inventory version. I still have to wait a couple days. :x

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Acquired the game as well. It's quite fun! But nothing I would play for hours and hours. I think it's best enjoyed in short bursts, at least for me.
I also noticed the 'Manage DLC' button - guess we will see some more maps and traps in the future.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Rebind to mousewheel?

I remember a sever case of almost acquiring CTS when testing FAllen Earth beta, and having a melee weapon in both hands, left click right click left click right click ARGH MY FUCKING ARM.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Metro said:
No I'm playing the PC version. I don't own a console.

I didn't even know you could headshot!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Make a autohotkey script that autofires with a single press of (any) button.

Misterhamper

Scholar
Destroid said:
Tower defence has not really improved since warcraft 3.

Immortal Defence is probably the very best Tower Defence.
A pretty awesome story about love and loss, and some awesome towers and pretty + simple graphics too.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
alright so headshotting was quite a lot better if you had distance to your enemies. but clicking very very fast while at short range and going backwards deal more damage. or so I experience it.

anyway I stopped playing it now. I want long maps with more waves and I can't be arsed playing my way up there (if there are any). it's too easy as well.

Multi-headed Cow

I just had my first 3 skull map. I am filled with shame. It was "Lunch time" or something like that, the one with the lower door in the room full of tables, and a door on a catwalk up above that. Thinking back on it I probably would've been better served using barricades to funnel ALL the orcs into the hallway outside the rift. There were 3 entrances to the rift room, but with barricades I could've made it 1.

PERHAPS I WILL TRY THAT LATER.

Multi-headed Cow

Yep, but I'm still getting 5 skulls a lot. I just finished a level which is 2 or 3 after the one that gave me guff and got 5 skulls and 80th global score for it.

Also unlocked the "Weavers". A steel weaver and a magic weaver. You can only use one of the two during a map, but you can spend gold for map-wide bonuses. Like I dumped 500G (The cost of an upgraded archer guardian) for a buff that increases the gold gained by trap and guardian kills by 66%. There are other ones to increase trap rearm speeds, the PC's health and speed, mana regen, etc. And one that sounds like it could be really useful, lets traps affect ogres normally so you can spring them into acid and such. Adds a nice extra layer to it, though thus far it doesn't seem vitally important. Nightmare mode might be where the real challenge is.

Edit: As seen here in this informative pixelated picture.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59469 ... FC65E5AE3/

Multi-headed Cow

Ugh. Glanced at at RPS' review of Orcs and saw this:
Ach, what I’m trying to say is that OMD becomes really rather hard. Good hard, not bad hard – but it does mean that the impression you might have got from the demo, that it’s quite the cakewalk, is waaaaaay off. The game can throw so much at you and so fast, and if you don’t have the wherewithal or the tools to keep up, you’re going down. In fact, about halfway through I had to step down the difficultly – but I know I’ll be back to tackle those levels at a big-boy level of challenge, armed with more traps and more upgrades.
Just beat act 2 and the worst rating I've gotten is that single map where I got 3 skulls. Easy difficulty limits you to 2 skulls max. WHY GAME JOURNALIST SO BAD AT VIDEO GAME?

By the way, just picked up a third weaver. The skills in that tree seem overall less useful than the other two though, not too sure about it.
As sort of seen in this not very informative pixelated picture.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/59469 ... 09C1EFFB3/

Another thing kinda worth mentioning, orcs will avoid barricades, and will smash them down if you entirely seal off an area, but if you put a tempting target just beyond them (Say, standing on/just behind them yourself, or some guardians just behind them) they'll also split off and smash down the barricades. Also worth noting that you can't seal off a rift if multiple rifts are available and funnel them toward a single one. They'll funnel a fair amount, but once they get to the completely walled off rift they'll smash the barricades down.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One copy removed from digital inventory.

Was pretty good. I have a shitty mouse at the moment, so that certainly made it a lot more difficult. Only 4-5 real show stoppers out of the maps, though. Surprisingly I made it through the final map on the 1st try.

I do hope for more content, there is a lot of potential in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom