Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Playing Might and Magic VI for the first time

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I skipped Control Center in both my playthroughs, just grabbed blasters and RUN.
It's not about skill, it's about resistance to burn(ing out). They're simply not fun to fight.
Damn, I should have checked my quest log lol. I thought the Control Center was mandatory. Here I've been going through it and clearing out all the stupid drones thinking there was a quest item I needed at the end. Already grabbed the scroll that said I was a goober too. Well I'm glad I can ditch this place.

Funny, the Control Center was where I got burnt out too.

duchU

Educated
Damn, I should have checked my quest log lol. I thought the Control Center was mandatory. Here I've been going through it and clearing out all the stupid drones thinking there was a quest item I needed at the end. Already grabbed the scroll that said I was a goober too. Well I'm glad I can ditch this place.

Well, it depends. If you want to get blaster rifles then you have to explore Control Center. If you only want to get one normal blaster for the quest then you can find it in the first room but rifles are much better. Also take in mind that blaster power is about recovery time (you can check it in Stats tab by clicking with RMB on Attack/Shoot) so if someone of your party member can wield two weapons then do not combine second weapon with a blaster - it will decrease greatly recovery time and therefore make a blaster much less efficient (blasters are intended to be solo weapons).

Last edited:

A user named cat

Well, it depends. If you want to get blaster rifles then you have to explore Control Center. If you only want to get one normal blaster for the quest then you can find it in the first room but rifles are much better. Also take in mind that blaster power is about recovery time (you can check it in Stats tab by clicking with RMB on Attack/Shoot) so if someone of your party member can wield two weapons then do not combine second weapon with a blaster - it will decrease greatly recovery time and therefore make a blaster much less efficient (blasters are intended to be solo weapons).
Thanks for info, I'll make sure to check as I didn't know that. I'm making my way into the Hive now. Just cleared out that nightmarish opening room with the huge swarm of devils. Those scumbag devil kings sure love to drain all your magic.

Edit: just checked. Sure enough I was ignorantly duel wielding with all characters while having blasters equipped. My main char's recovery time was at 43, I dumped the second weapon and now it's 5. Sweet.

A user named cat

3Vg0MyG.jpg

Is the Demon Queen broken or something? She literally didn't move, wtf was that? I blew the reactor, recasted my dark/light enchantments, took out all the demons and she just stood there masturbating. She shot back once as I blasted her to pieces.

A user named cat

Gratz :greatjob:

Now go play World of Xeen :P
Actually I just grabbed and installed MM7. I couldn't help myself, suddenly craved more. I went to play Ultima 7 then remembered why I could never get into it before; the incredibly jerky and clunky movement. Even Exult didn't help. That game needs an overhaul, at the very least changed to a point and click movement system. It's like playing the world's worst console port except it's not a port at all. Can't do it.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Actually I just grabbed and installed MM7. I couldn't help myself, suddenly craved more. I went to play Ultima 7 then remembered why I could never get into it before; the incredibly jerky and clunky movement. Even Exult didn't help. That game needs an overhaul, at the very least changed to a point and click movement system. It's like playing the world's worst console port except it's not a port at all. Can't do it.

MM7 is fine too and the skill system is a bit more interesting, but it's nowhere the greatness that is MM6 (or WoX :3). It has an incredibly fun card game tho which should be mandatory in all games ever.

Also yeh I too tried to get into U7 several times over the past few years but had the same issues - it felt clunky. And the lack of turn based combat put me off too tbh.

A user named cat

MM7 is fine too and the skill system is a bit more interesting, but it's nowhere the greatness that is MM6 (or WoX :3). It has an incredibly fun card game tho which should be mandatory in all games ever.

Also yeh I too tried to get into U7 several times over the past few years but had the same issues - it felt clunky. And the lack of turn based combat put me off too tbh.
I know I could Google the info but I'm curious -- what is a preferred party build for this game? I probably won't follow it exactly as I don't like to use overpowered builds but a guideline would help. MM6 was of course sorcerers + cleric/druid. Just firing this game up after setting up Grayface, I see you can now choose your race along with class. Taking a cue from Wizardry I see.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know I could Google the info but I'm curious -- what is a preferred party build for this game? I probably won't follow it exactly as I don't like to use overpowered builds but a guideline would help. MM6 was of course sorcerers + cleric/druid. Just firing this game up after setting up Grayface, I see you can now choose your race along with class. Taking a cue from Wizardry I see.

Personally I like to go Knight / Cleric / Sorc / Sorc bc I like having 2 Lloyd beacon casters. A good party to get through the game but 2 knights instead of 2 sorcs would probably be more effective - knights are incredibly strong and build up quickly so you destroy everything in early - mid game while still being viable later.

A user named cat

Personally I like to go Knight / Cleric / Sorc / Sorc bc I like having 2 Lloyd beacon casters. A good party to get through the game but 2 knights instead of 2 sorcs would probably be more effective - knights are incredibly strong and build up quickly so you destroy everything in early - mid game while still being viable later.
So I take it that magic has been better balanced out and doesn't easily trump swords now? No more shrapmetal dominance? Thanks for the info here.

duchU

Educated
So I take it that magic has been better balanced out and doesn't easily trump swords now? No more shrapmetal dominance? Thanks for the info here.

I think it's about Armsmaster skill which boost Knight the most (because there are skill level degree restrictions in MM7). Magic is still strong: for example Protection from Magic makes the game much easier (or maybe rather less frustrating - on the other hand it's a good thing that in MM6 you cannot avoid all kinds of special attacks which bring insta death - makes the game more exciting till the end - in MM7 from a some point you do not give a fuck about special attacks since Protection from Magic gives you immunity). But MM7 has some good sides which MM6 misses - like HARDEN ITEM potions - I always REALLY miss them in MM6... More than Grandmaster skill or skill system with restrictions depending on different classes.

But I like MM6 more. It's fun/interesting from the begining till the end when MM7 is as great at the start but in the middle it loses some of it's charm and the end stage just sucks. Also I hate both interfaces look after choosing the good or evil side. And the world is kinda all gloomy no matter if you are in the desert, Elves forest or Erathia. Only some snowy parts and Celeste are kinda different. When you compare this to Dragonsands vs Frozen Highlands vs New Sorpigal and others areas in MM6 then it just sucks.

A user named cat

Well this is annoying. I want to play the game in software mode so everything is sharp and pixelated like MM6 but then the music skips and glitches. It only plays smoothly in hardware 3D mode but then you're forced to use ugly blotchy textures.

duchU

Educated
I don't mind Hardware 3D. It gives better lightning. Have you tried compatibility mode or something? And do you use a version with audio tracks or MP3s (or OGG or whatever GoG gives)?

A user named cat

I don't mind Hardware 3D. It gives better lightning. Have you tried compatibility mode or something? And do you use a version with audio tracks or MP3s (or OGG or whatever GoG gives)?
Hardware 3D looks so bad, very blurry and smudged. This is that N64 texture syndrome that plagued games of the time. I'm using Grayface patch with mp3 playback. Doesn't seem like there's any other way to get music. I really don't understand why the audio tracks skip while in software mode, everything worked fine in MM6. What the hell did they do to the game engine?

EDIT: I FIXED IT. Thanks for bringing up compatibility. I just checked the mm7.exe and I believe either GOG or Grayface patch had set it to Windows 95 compatibility, which is unnecessary. By simply unchecking it and running the exe as normal, the music no longer skips and game runs fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

A user named cat

Yuck, HQ filters. That's the last thing this game would need. Those are the worst. You seriously ruin DOS classics by using those hideous filters that make everything look like globs of clay? For shame. SHAME. Appreciate the sharp, detailed pixels. Don't ruin them with stupid filters. That's why this game looks so much better in software mode so you'll get unfiltered, sharp and detailed pixelated visuals as opposed to hardware 3D with everything looking blobby, flat, undetailed and lifeless.

duchU

Educated
Yuck, HQ filters. That's the last thing this game would need. Those are the worst. You seriously ruin DOS classics by using those hideous filters that make everything look like globs of clay? For shame. SHAME. Appreciate the sharp, detailed pixels. Don't ruin them with stupid filters. That's why this game looks so much better in software mode so you'll get unfiltered, sharp and detailed pixelated visuals as opposed to hardware 3D with everything looking blobby, flat, undetailed and lifeless.

Nah, I do not ruin anything. I have played DOS games in good old times and today I just like them more with filters. Besides hq filters would give better results than old hardware 3d mode anyway. Everyone plays the way he/she likes :)

A user named cat

Whatever makes you happy. Classic graphics should be preserved, not covered in mud.

Just replaced the opening island music in MM7 with the New Sorpigal town mp3 from MM6. Wow, what an improvement. Those obnoxious strings were getting annoying, this is much better.

A user named cat

If anyone else is playing MM7 and really dislikes the loud string music from the first island, here you go. Just stick this in "...Might and Magic VII/Music/" and overwrite. Obviously you'll need Grayface installed with mp3 playback enabled in the ini. This is the atmospheric town theme from New Sorpigal in MM6 which is much more fitting.

https://www.mediafire.com/?4dvs5krplgg481v

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
My reaction when I first played VI was... "wow, in M&M III everything was bigger and more worth being explored"

but...

it was probably just me getting older

A user named cat

Well MM7 is certainly more challenging so far, and gold is a hell of a lot more difficult to obtain. Seems to be quite a few more skills this time around and there are more class restrictions now? I can't learn expert disarm trap with my knight for example, that's a bummer. Should I have hired a locksmith? I grabbed a merchant and scholar instead. Despite the lack of innovation and some downgrades from 6 (why do fireplaces and spell effects look like laser beams now?), I'm still enjoying the grind and slow character building.

baturinsky

Arcane
I'm feeling like giving it a try too. I know that most OP teams are something like SSCD, but what's the fun team? Fit for clearing dungeons without constant Sorpigaling etc?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm feeling like giving it a try too. I know that most OP teams are something like SSCD, but what's the fun team? Fit for clearing dungeons without constant Sorpigaling etc?
The fun team for me is the default: Knight, Archer, Cleric, Sorcerer

Knight for obvious reasons. Archer for traps, perception, and all the bow fighting you do. Cleric for obvious reasons as well as some points in Merchant. Sorcerer for obvious reasons.

I usually get everyone Bow skill ASAP as it makes a huge difference in the earlier game. Also, the group above can use just about anything you find - 1 plate wearer, 2 chain, and 1 leather.

The group above is not OP, but not boring.

baturinsky

Arcane
What happens if Shared Life is used with very different HP caps? Such as, if I cast in on party with (650/650, 50/100, 50/100, 50/100 hp), will it make (200,100,100,100)hp or (500,100,100,100)hp?
I.e. can I use a Knight as party's blood doll?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom