Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing Fallout 2 again - what do I need?

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Yep, so I played Fallout 3. Right through to the bitter, bitter end. Anyway, it has whetted my appetite for a real Fallout game, so I thought it was time to crank up Fallout 2 again.

I moseyed on over to NMA and got myself the official 1.02 patch (which I don't think I need, given the 'Dual Jewel' CD version of Fallout 1/2 I have), as well as an unofficial patch by a guy called killap. Then I installed the high resolution patch, and THEN I realised there was something called the Fallout 2 Restoration Project, which is downloading now. I think it is by the same guy, killap.

So, can/should I install this Restoration Project over killap's unofficial patch? Is this the best way to go, or am I missing something.

I'm excited already. Haven't played FO2 in a while... :P

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Restoration Project includes the Unofficial Patch, so there's no need to install both. Don't know if you can install one over the other though. If you're using the Unofficial Patch, then you're not supposed to need any other patch, regardless of which version of the game you're using.

You propably know this already, but the Unofficial Patch only fixes things that are broken in the game due to bugs, lack of QA, etc. It doesn't really add anything new. The Restoration Project does add new stuff, like new areas and NPCs. I would suggest that you play Fallout 2 at least once without the RP, use only the Unoffical Patch. (No way in hell am I going to suggest you play the game with only the last official patch. I want you to enjoy the game, after all.)

The next update of the RP is due Soon™ (guesstimate is in June) so it's a question whether you want to hold off playing with the RP until that happens.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Thanks. It seems you can install one over the other. One more question - do we still need to turn down/off sound acceleration in dxdiag? I seem to recall this being a problem in the past, easily fixed with dxdiag but still a pain for other games etc.

sheek

Arbiter
I was waiting for the (1.3?) of the expansion/restoration patch which was meant to be out last June, so I wouldn't delay starting for it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just d/l the 1.2 Restoration Pack. You DO NOT need to patch. It includes:

Restored stuff+Patch+SFall

And you can select which stuff you want restored.

Carceri

Arcane
You cannot not love Fallout combat. Take this for example:

scr00004.jpg

:twisted:

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Why would I want to fucking avoid combat? :P Temple of trials still sucks though, especially when you only have a sharpened spear and 20% for melee weapons. I am playing on Hard combat etc and I have had to reload like 10 times already. That's more than I reloaded in 90% of Fallout 3. :lol:

Helton

Arcane
You might be better off with kicks and punches. As I recall unarmed always has a higher initial value untagged -- and you can punch 3 times per round with 9 Agility... Hitting is the most important thing at that point. Fuck a few extra dmg points.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, unarmed is better than melee if both are untagged. But you could just run through - that's what I do nowadays. The XP loss isn't a big deal and the sleeping powders and scorpion tails aren't worth it, imho.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Yeah, I took Good Natured, so the Melee and Unarmed values are even lower. My problem now is that there is no music playing. Speech and sound effects are fine. Any ideas?

Andhaira

Arcane
Yes. Get an ipod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom