Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Aphrodisias sways a bit, "Shhhh!!" she scolds. "You'll break my concentration. Let us watch for as long as we may."

The night deepens and the visions continue.

In the middle of the night Uvan strides over and kicks Rashid awake, who in turn scrambles up and crouches into a subservient but defensive posture. Thereafter you see Uvan gesturing to Rashid and his mouth moves, but no sound is transmitted through the font.

A few moments pass and Rashid straightens to full height and then walks over to the still sleeping Oona and cruelly grabs her by the hair and yanks her up into the air. She kicks him in the groin with both of her feet and he returns the favor with a violent punch to the face that sends her sprawling to the ground, but before Rashid can continue his beating, Uvan calmly walks up behind him and cuffs him. Rashid demurs and cowers again. When Uvan walks away, he grabs a rope and binds Oona about the waist and he prods her to start walking down the hill.

Aphrodisias croons a bit and the image in the font pulls back to get a wide view of the terrain.

You get a sick feeling of vertigo as you soar miles into the air and look down on the ground through the watery vision. A whole tapestry of forest, hills, moors and dimly illuminated land can be seen, including a glittering body of water some distance to the east and south of the broken tower. Little flickering lights along the shore like starlight can be seen -- Crannógmere!

The vision drops like a falling stone and the earth rushes up to meet you and you are pulled in on Oona, Rashid and Uvan. They are walking down a faintly visible trail cut into the side of the hill leading from the tower. Dark moving shapes to the each side of the trail -- a score at least -- can be seen yards away from the trio who seem oblivious to them. Several of the figures who seem made of pure shadow lift sticks or perhaps tube up to their mouths and moment later Uvan, Rashid and Oona jerk violently. Rashid and Uvan swat at their necks as if they've just been stung by a bee. Long seconds pass and the three being to sway and stumble. Oona drops to the ground and lies still, then Rashid drops to one knee and topples over sideways, lastly Uvan unsheathes his sword and staggers into the thick brush hacking wildly, but moments later he succumbs too. Another minute passes and the dark shapes emerge from the shadows and into the pale monlight and begin pawing at the three unconscious figures. With the vision now focused tightly on Oona the faces resolve and you instinctively recoil at what you see. Twisted, evil faces out of nightmares. Green-skinned little "men." Some grossly fat with pig snouts, others with with comically pointed ears, noses and chins. Big ones, little ones -- in fact no two alike.

One comes forward taller and fairer than the rest. He looks like a strangely attired Hyperborean, with pale, nearly translucent skin, white hair and dressed in a fashion that looks simultaneously both very boroque and alien. He motions to the scuttling hoard of little green-skinned creatures and they caper and jig, but quickly surround Rashid, Uvan and Oona and lift them onto sheilds that they hold up on their shoulders like pallbearers.

The tall fair-skinned "Hyperborean" in strange garments suddenly wheels around and looks directly "at you" (or seemingly anyway). he sniffs the air a couple of times and begins weaving a spell.

A burst of bright light erupts in the font and you all fall backward stunned for a minute or longer. Aphrodisias rubs her temples as she regains her composure. "Blood and gods! Unseelie! How?" she groans.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"What was that thing? A Hyperborean? But why so strangely clothed? And he seemed to look right at us!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr, Urash and Marcán all agree that the view from miles overhead showed lake Oerni and Crannógmere as though you were looking down at a highly detailed and life-like map. Additionally, Urash is quite confident that what you saw wasn't a Hyperborean. The tapering ears and golden eyes makes you think of the legendary Jinn from your home in Acadia. That creature was definitely not of this world.

nikolokolus

Arcane
What of the green 'men'? World lore offer any insights?
Yeah. Sorry about that.

Urash nods knowingly at Aphrodisias' comment about the Unseelie. His deep knowledge of history and customs makes him more than passingly familiar with the folklore of the Picts and the Kelts and he remembers a scrap of writing in Kor's great library about the two courts of the fey -- The (mostly) benign earthy spirits known as the Seelie Court, and the (mostly) malevolent spirits of the Unseelie Court, once thought to be common when the world was young.

Embarrassingly, Ker, Mab, and Cormac all seem to flounder when trying to draw up anything from memory beyond silly faerie tales used to frighten children. At least Marcán was paying attention to his lessons and recognizes the "green men" as Púca, spirits usually malignent (though occasionally benevolent depending on their moods). The gods of the Kelts (The Tuatha De Danann) banished the Unseelie from the realms of mortal man ages ago, and if they do return they are forced to wander alone and unable to form a host (band or tribe) in the lands of men. The Púca should not be able to travel in a pack like they are.

(Picts have similar tales, except they don't believe the fey were ever banished. Instead they posit they are shy and furtive.)

Close to what I have in my minds eye.
Goblins.jpg

The Púca's master:
elric1.jpg

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
Urash recounts his knowledge of the Unseelie and his intuition about the otherworldy nature if their leader.

"This is quite unsettling... These creatures were not thought able to form roving bands such as this one. It is in stark defiance with the old laws of the Keltic gods, if I remember correctly. This is an ill portent... We should act swiftly now."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Yes, if this happened just now, we need find the tower before their tracks become muddled."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Aphrodisias interjects, "I know the place; Mynydd Torri - A very hard two or three day march or a hard day's ride from here. Come we need to talk to Cingetorix and see if we can't get you some horses."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Aphrodisias holds the door ajar as people start to file outside into the brisk starry night, "It lies west by northwest. The easiest route would be to the north end of the loch, then through "Balor's Notch" -- a mountain pass. From there it's open moorland. I'll draw you a map."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"I hope the horses hereabouts are of better temperment than the last we encountered."

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab, at the mention of riding horses, says, "I- um, that is, I have never ridden a horse before. It wasn't something thought important by my village and by extension myself. This, well, ought to be interesting to say the least."

L'ennui

Magister
"Fret not, friend. I am bound to dishonor myself in such a way as to make any failing on your part entirely forgettable..."

Urash winks at Mab and gets up, picking up his things and looking ready to depart.

To Aphrodisias, he says: "A map would be most welcome, thank you."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Yes, thank you Aphrodisias. Hopefully we'll all stay on the horses, as well as keep them unpossessed by Hyperboreans."

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Riding horses? Erm... Has anybody here done so before? I do not wish to hurt our four legged furry friends, and I wouldn't mind some pointers.
By the way, Aphrodisias, does Mynydd Torri *mean* anything especially?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom