Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
[1d100] = 21 vs 105.

Sorry, meant to post earlier but life happened.
Actually I screwed up, I forgot Urash has 101+ (arete) in World Lore, so the 21 is actually a special success in World Lore, not just a simple Idea roll. Urash has not only an inkling of what the pendant is, but how it works.
Urash handles the ruby-red pendant for several minutes before it dawns on him what this is; the crystallized weepings from the eye of a dragon, an elemental force long since disappeared in the world. Furthermore, the matrices inside aren't "spells" but a captive spirit or soul of some kind. A spirit with an elemental nature of extraordinary strength. You get the sensation that it is fully aware of you but seems to be holding itself in reserve -- wary, cautious, suspicious.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
From page 130: "[Use the] Witch Sight spell to mentally converse with a being in an object, providing it is able and willing. This process takes a full day of studying the artifact and requires a successful roll of POWx1 or less, but does not require the Witch Sight spell to be cast until the actual moment when communication is desired."

So in short it's going to take a bit of time (possibly). What you are up against is this: You don't know how much time you have to get back to the gate; Solon tries to work out a calculation and says that he hopes you all have about what passes for 5 or 6 days here, but without a chronometer or ability to read stars he's uncertain. Second to that, carting around a 20 lb salmon in a barrel seems less than optimal, even with an ogre doing the heavy lifting.

"Solon, since this was yours, don't you know how it works? If so, I'm sure you and Urash could figure out how to make this thing work to transform our friend fish over there."

L'ennui

Magister
"I would need a day or so to learn the mysteries of the power hidden within this precious tear. I know time is of the essence... But our friend's life may depend on it. What say you all? Dare we risk a delay? For my part, I am sick at the thought of running from this place without attempting to save Marcán. The passing of time is certainly a risk, but forsaking friendship as cowards is a much greater peril for all our souls, now and for the afterlife."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"I would prefer to re-man the bard, but are we safe here? We are well within the Lady's reach here."

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Solon, since this was yours, don't you know how it works? If so, I'm sure you and Urash could figure out how to make this thing work to transform our friend fish over there."
Solon splutters and spits, "Wha-a-a-t?! Out of the question! That pendant was entrusted into my safe keeping by Koren himself and I must insist that you give it back to me. Failing that, we must leave at once; every moment we tarry, is one more grain lost in the hourglass that is draining away as we sit here and dither.

Look, I'm very sorry for your friend but it's much too risky to bargain with the power that resides in that 'thing.' To answer your question. Yes. I know how it works, but that's not the problem. The issue is what 'it' wants. The Sidhe imprisoned it for a reason you know. All it wants is to be released so it can have its revenge, short of that it exacts a heavy toll from the wielder and I won't be party to it. I flatly refuse!"

Solon crosses his arms over his chest and looks down, avoiding anyone's gaze.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Moggle listens intently and rubs his chin thoughtfully, "We should get a boat. If you could get past the Falls of Nyf, I'll bet the river could take you right where you want to go? The Ephemeral Causeway lies very close to where it is you chaps are trying to get back to I think? Alas my kin and kith take great pains to avoid the Dissolute Mist. It boils out of that place erratically and is perilous."

Solon splutters and spits, "Wha-a-a-t?! Out of the question! That pendant was entrusted into my safe keeping by Koren himself and I must insist that you give it back to me. Failing that, we must leave at once; every moment we tarry, is one more grain lost in the hourglass that is draining away as we sit here and dither.

Look, I'm very sorry for your friend but it's much too risky to bargain with the power that resides in that 'thing.' To answer your question. Yes. I know how it works, but that's not the problem. The issue is what 'it' wants. The Sidhe imprisoned it for a reason you know. All it wants is to be released so it can have its revenge, short of that it exacts a heavy toll from the wielder and I won't be party to it. I flatly refuse!"

"A demon is trapped inside? With all of the demon summoning you do, I guess it makes sense to leave it in your care."

Amon looks at the docks, to survey the current boats that are moored.

"I do agree, we should be going. If we go by boat, we can ensure our friend has fresh water for the trip. I just hope we do not get visited by that water monster, and also that the lady is unable to send her minions after us"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I may offer a suggestion, perhaps the magic of the faerie folk is only effective in this domain? If you move further away, it may wear off, or become easier to remove?

L'ennui

Magister

"Solon, come now. What can you tell us about the captive soul within the tear? Do not withhold information when you know full well your fate is tied to ours in this journey."

If I may offer a suggestion, perhaps the magic of the faerie folk is only effective in this domain? If you move further away, it may wear off, or become easier to remove?

That's not a bad idea. nikolokolus, could Urash make a World Lore roll (at penalty I guess since celtic faerie stuff is not his cultural baggage or specialty) to determine what he knows this aspect of faerie magic in general?

"I agree that a boat would be the most sensible solution. Perhaps I can investigate the tear while we are afloat."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

"Solon, come now. What can you tell us about the captive soul within the tear? Do not withhold information when you know full well your fate is tied to ours in this journey."

That's not a bad idea. nikolokolus, could Urash make a World Lore roll (at penalty I guess since celtic faerie stuff is not his cultural baggage or specialty) to determine what he knows this aspect of faerie magic in general?

"I agree that a boat would be the most sensible solution. Perhaps I can investigate the tear while we are afloat."
Eh, nix to my idea. Dude fake news'd it. nikolokolus I can still give dumb ideas to my bros right?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Eh, nix to my idea. Dude fake news'd it. nikolokolus I can still give dumb ideas to my bros right?

The GM always reserves the right to obfuscate and discredit any kind of metagaming. Also, I can neither confirm nor deny if the magic of a goddess works the way you guess it does.

nikolokolus

Arcane
L'ennui you because you have arete in world lore you can make a 'difficult' (1/2 skill) roll to determine if you know anything beyond generalities.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash spends several minutes in a semi-trance reciting long blocks of text he's commited to memory over his decades of study in a soft mumble. Fragments of esoterica percolate up from hidden depths in his encyclopedic mind.

He snaps open his half-lidded eyes and stops his low recitation. He's got it! Marcán is under a geas or curse of some sort for transgressing against whatever powers The Lady represents. This is not some ephemeral, illusive faerie glamour, but a punishment meted out by a divinity. The conditions to lift the geas are unknown to you, but you doubt it will pass by crossing from one world to the next, particularly now that it appears the "god's" of the Kelts and the Sidhe appear to be one and the same.

L'ennui

Magister
Urash conveys his thoughts to the others, regretfully confirming that there will be no easy way to cheat their way out of the Lady's punishment.

He tells the ogres to bring the barrel along as they go find a boat. He makes sure to speak slowly and clearly: "Do not eat the fish. Do not. Eat. The fish. Please. Just don't even look at it."

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'll just reiterate one minor point. Moggle said, "if you could get past the Falls of Nyf." When you went with the dwarf smith to the "goblin market" you crossed under the river just above the falls. Base on what you could see, the falls were 100 meters high (at least). Portaging a boat around the falls is potentially going to be a very tricky thing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I'll just reiterate one minor point. Moggle said, "if you could get past the Falls of Nyf." When you went with the dwarf smith to the "goblin market" you crossed under the river just above the falls. Base on what you could see, the falls were 100 meters high (at least). Portaging a boat around the falls is potentially going to be a very tricky thing.
What if you tie a huge sailcloth over the boat so it works like a parachute?

nikolokolus

Arcane
What if you tie a huge sailcloth over the boat so it works like a parachute?
. . . says one of the ogres standing next to Mab . . .
;)
BTW, the offer to play an ogrish character still stands
So tell me what your plan is?

While you confer on the docks, Moggle points over to the island where a handful of the large Amazonian women appear to be loading on to their barge. There is a smaller figure with them adorned with an antlered helm, holding a spear and holding two large, albino wolf-hounds by a leash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom